renting with a kennel of dogs ?

yvonne

Hi all -

We are planning to relocate to France within the next year and are thinking about renting somewhere initially while we either hunt down the right property or build our own. At present we have a small kennel of show dogs - (seven BSD's)  - you can see them on www.grondemon.co.uk and would need a place that would be suitable for them - something out in the countryside or perhaps a small farm would be good. Has anyone relocated with this number of dogs and how did you do it ? - it all seems a bit daunting at present

many thanks

Yvonne 

You need to be aware that if you have more than a few dogs (I think 7 counts for more than a few - certainly things get very tricky when you get to more than 9) you will need either permission from the maire or a licence from your local authority - actual rules seem to vary between departements.

Over 3 and up to 9 dogs you need to inform your mairie.

However if you sell more than one litter of pups a year then you are classed as a breeder and have to get a certificat de capacite from the prefecture via the DSV. To get one of these you need to pass an examination (in French).There are various ways of taking this exam. We went on a three day course run by the SCC (societe Centrale Canin) which is the French equivalent of the kennel club.It was blxxxy hard graft and took us over ayear to get on the course. Is your french language good? If not you wont pass the exam. Alternatively there is a home study course and you then go to a recognised centre and take a multiple choice exam on a computer. You are allowed a translator for this supplied by the centre and paid for by you. The difference is the home study one covers all pets (general animal husbandry)

We brought over nine dogs but these were yorkies!! I think the only way you will do it is via the tunnel as most ferries limit the number of animals. I seem to recall that we were allowed 3 dogs per person but this I think has changed to three per vehicle best check eurotunnel site.

Best of luck and if you need any advice when you get here give us a shout

Cheers

Steve and Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - thanks for the info - we only breed when we want something to keep for ourselves ( only 4 litters in over 20 years of owning the breed !) so have no plans to go into breeding 'commercially'. I am half French - my mum comes from near Marseilles (too hot !!) and I speak fluent French so should have no problem with the exam should it be required - we did think of offering a puppy fostering service for those English breeders that want to import European lines but need somewhere to place their pup whilst it's waiting out the pet passport requirements - we imported a dog from France last year and had great trouble finding anyone who offered this service and were experienced enough to show train the pups they fostered - so think there is a bit of a gap in the market there.

Mostly however we are looking to retire in the Mayenne region and will not be dependent on earning an income out of our hobby- we already have a good network of French friends in our breed as we regularly show and judge over there so will just change our frantic British lifestyle for (hopefully) a more relaxed way of life in the beautiful French countryside !.

thanks again

Yvonne