The leaf catching cat

chocccie

My 7 year old cat (who has lived with me for about 5 months) keeps bringing leaves into the house, like a prize.  She drops them at my feet, or brings them upstairs if that's where I am.  Is she hunting for me?

This has reminded me of a cat I had years ago - he used to do the same thing.  He also used to regularly turn up with notes people had written to their milkman and left on the step in a bottle.  Tweeds obviously couldn't resist them .. .they never had numbers on the notes, so I could never return them.  Ah well, cow milk isn't healthy anyway so he was probably doing them a favour.

My two do this too.  Thankfully they never bring mice or birds - just leaves and the noise they make when they drop them at my feet shouting I can't help but praise them.  Maybe at 16 & 14 they are past chasing the birds!!

[quote user="Fiona"]My two do this too.  Thankfully they never bring mice or birds - just leaves and the noise they make when they drop them at my feet shouting I can't help but praise them.  Maybe at 16 & 14 they are past chasing the birds!![/quote]

That made me giggle!  they sound really sweet.

Think yourselves lucky!

My semi-adopted cat brings in live lizzards... [:-))]

I had to throw a T-shirt over the last one to catch it...

PS: she is semi-adopted because although we have adopted her, she still hasn't totally adopted us...[:)]

hi

ok we have 3 cats 2 queens ( uk)  and a french tom ... he is now 12 months old, every morning for the last 4months we have an average of 5 mice lined up dead in full military honors by their food bowl .. min 2 max so far is 10 .

just wondering  where he would come on a league table ??

oh and  lizards  ..when you are awaken in bed in  the middle of the night by something  on your leg... you hit it ... it runs away but leaves it`s tail still going full blast on you....

we love him to bits

from Tommy Catch-pole

no me really Dave

My French  cat (Carton) this last year: lizards (live and dead), snakes (incl one 80cm long!!! DEAD), mice, loir, moles, bats, a rat (dead), one trout (this may have been a donation from a passing angler...can't be sure)

My British cat (Cleo): Nothing, Rien, Nada, Zilch!

I remember years ago staying with a friend in the english countryside.  She had a cat who hunted obsessively.  When we got up in the morning, there was a dead mouse placed by my slippers next to the bed and then one dead mouse next to hubbie's slippers on his side of the bed!  I was glad we weren't staying for too long.

A bit more worrying than leaves & lizards, my 4 legged cat (who has the weirdest back legs when he tries to run due to a birth defect) brings home BATS, alive or dead, they are deposited on the kitchen floor early morning for me.

I tried putting a bell on him, thinking maybe the bats would hear him - but I don't think that the pitch is right ...

Any ideas how to warn the bats he's coming?  I'm amazed with his lack of athleticism skills that he's able to catch them!

Our cat was a bat catcher.

We have shutters for a pair of French windows from our kitchen which we leave open.  We discovered that bats would often roost behind them and that our cat was able to get behind the shutter and grab them - so we adjusted the "clips" that hold the shutter open so they held the shutter tighter to the wall - too narrow a gap for a cat but wide enough should a little bat fancy a snooze.

Perhaps you have a place in your garden that stays dark and cool during the day, but is accessible for your cat.  With his back leg injury I agree it's hard to imagine him leaping in to the air to intercept a bat in full flight.

Yup, leaves when he can't catch anything else.

Mice - best one was flung on my bare leg one morning when I was in bed; made such a fuss he has pretty much stopped the big mouse present game now.

Frogs - second favourite to mice - then he gets bored and we have to catch them

Moths - not so much here, because he has other things, but in UK moths were his favourite thing in the world.   Bring them in, let them go in the hall, try to catch them again.   Result, every morning around 40 terrified moths clinging to the top of the hall wall ..

cats are such fun ...

[quote user="mossie"] When we got up in the morning, there was a dead mouse placed by my slippers next to the bed and then one dead mouse next to hubbie's slippers on his side of the bed!  [/quote]

Gosh; lucky you. You don't know how honoured you were!

Sue