Taking French dogs on holiday to UK

chocccie

I have dogs (French) and I'm thinking I might take them over to the UK for a holiday!

I know what needs to be done the other way around (ie, UK to France), but would like to hear from those who have actually done who could tell me what I need to do to take them from France to the UK ...... how long after injections can the dogs travel to UK, and a rough idea of cost if poss.

Thanks folks  [:)]

Assuming that their rabies jabs are up to date and their passports duly stamped to that effect, you need them to have flea and worm treatments from a French vet no more than 48 and no less than 24 hours before leaving the French port, and their passports endorsed to this effect.  40 euros tops.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Assuming that their rabies jabs are up to date and their passports duly stamped to that effect, you need them to have flea and worm treatments from a French vet no more than 48 and no less than 24 hours before leaving the French port, and their passports endorsed to this effect.  40 euros tops.[/quote]

They don't have passports - that's the bit I need advice on, I need to start from scratch.

They are rabies jabbed and innoculated.

CHECK CAREFULLY AS MY FRIEND HAS JUST RETURNED FROM UK. AFTER 2 WEEKS VISIT

But he had to leave his dog in french kennels  although the dog was micro chipped injections o.k. and blood test done.However he had them in the wrong order (sorry i do not know correct one )and he was refused to take his french dog into the u.k. and now he has to have things done the correct way costing more money!!

I think that the difficulty may arise because in order to take dogs into the UK, they should be blood-tested 6 months after their first course of rabies jabs, to ensure that these have taken.  Where is Ms Animal?  She knows all this stuff!  But basically, the first time I did it, it was (from memory) :

1.  Mircrochip and passport to identify the animal.  2. Rabies jab (confirmed in passport)  3. blood test and clinincal confirmation that jab had been effective.

Ergo : Ask your vet' if you can get a passport, get a bloodtest done, and then put all this info' in the passport retrospectively.  That may work.

Then all that is needed is the booster each year (or less often in the UK) and the flea and worming as per my first post.

The precise order is; microchip, rabies vaccination, three to four weeks later blood test.  If the blood test shows that the rabies vaccination has taken, then you must wait six months after the positive blood test before you can enter the UK.  All of this information must be entered on the Pet's Passport.  As has also been mentioned, your pet will have to visit a French vet for the tick and worm treatment not less than twenty-four hours and not more than forty-eight hours before embarkation.

Quoting Cooperlola .................. and also shorten the waiting time because of the six month wait after the blood test before your dogs can actually enter UK.  I suspect that the cost of the blood test depends on the lab. the blood is sent to.  We have had two done and the first one, about 5 - 6 years ago cost plus 80 euros,  the second one (different dog) about 18 months ago was between 60 and 70 euros.

So long as you do not allow the annual vac. boosters to go even one day overdue you should never need another blood test. 

If your dogs already have a microchip, and they have already been vaccinated for rabies then you should visit your vet and this is what the procedure needs to be:

1. Go along to your vet and take the microchip certificate, which should state the date of implantation, with you.

2. Unless the previous rabies jab was fairly recent the vet will then give your dog a new rabies jab (doesn't matter if it's not a full year since the last one.

3. Your vet can then take the blood test straight away (this is only possible without a four week delay because your dogs have previously been vaccinated for rabies) and the blood sample will be sent away for analysis.

4. Once you receive the results of the blood test , assuming they are positive, you then go back to your vet with the certificate and, at this time he/she can complete a blue EU Passport for each of your dogs

5. Six months after the date of the blood test your dogs will be able to travel to the UK.
The cost of this process should be somewhere in the region of 100€ or perhaps a little more depending on your vet, per dog - the most expensive part is the blood test at about 70€.

When you are booked to go off to the UK your dogs will need to be treated, by the vet, for ticks, worms and fleas between 24 and 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure time of your ferry or train. Your vet wil enter the details of this in the EU Passport.  When returning to France from the UK there is nothing further you need to do.

The ONLY document you need to travel with your dogs is the blue EU Passport.

To take your dogs with you the cost varies across different carriers. For example: Eurotunnel at the moment charge £30 per dog for France to England but make no charge for the other direction; Brittany Ferries have just increased their charge to £25 each way per dog.