Pet/House Sitter Needed Please - South Charente/North Dordogne

Innocents Abroad

Wonder if anyone can help?  Next February we need to go to the UK for a wedding - our daughters!  Obviously all the family, who would normally do the house/pet sitting, will be at the wedding and I'm drawing a blank with our friends too.

We have two dogs; Ben, a cross lab/spaniel and Jezzie, a manic Border Collie who will catch and retrieve frizbies till the cows come home!  We also have Holly, an 18 year old cat, who has definitely got a 'portrait in the attic' since we discovered some food for "senior cats who are young at heart".  Kennels are not an option as Ben has had one hell of time during the last sixteen months, plus they've never been in kennels before either and we just can't do it to them.  Ben's story is that in August 2006 the ligaments in his back left knee went so he underwent major surgery to have new ligaments made, using muscle from his thigh.  (Sorry if this goes on a bit, I'm just setting the scene!).  He recovered well and the left leg is now good as new.  Unfortunately, in February this year, exactly the same thing happened to his other back leg.  He had the same op (cut from top hip to below knee, plus a number of weeks in very tight padding) but this didn't take so he had to go through the whole thing again but using artifucial cord this time to create new ligaments.  The latest from the vet is that it's unlikely that this has taken too so it looks like he's going to be on three legs for the rest of his natural.  Now don't get me wrong, he's a happy dog, knows he's loved and can get by very nicely hopping around on his three legs (his bad one is tucked up off the floor).  The problem is that he can't be left outside because he mustn't put too much stress on his one good - but slightly flawed - back leg.  We leave them inside when we go our but our time limit is a maximum of four hours.

We're only going to be away for five days or so but we do need someone to actually live in the house (4 bed, 2 bathrooms, 3 acres of garden/land and all the walnuts you can eat!) so would need to probably have a 'hand-over' period too.  We live in a small hamlet between Chalais and Aubeterre, Department 16.  Would have no problems either if house sitter wanted to stay on for a while afterwards.  Perhaps you know someone who might be house-hunting in February and looking for a base?  I know this is a bit risky, which is why I'm only asking on this forum, but we really need to sort something out soon, just so that everyone knows where they stand.

Sorry for droning on and thanks if you've stuck with this.  Hope someone can help ....

Lynda & Pete

Hello Lynda & Pete

What dates in February will you be away?

We are in 17 just south of Pons so not very far for us to come over. I have had dogs myself but currently (and sadly) none so it would be a pleasure to house sit for you.  OH is very excited about walnuts too!

Karen

(ps I don't think you were droning on - it helps to know the details and Ben sounds like a brave chap)

Hi Karen

Thanks so much for your swift response!  We're looking to fly out on Thursday 14th Feb and will fly back again on Monday 18th, though we've not booked the flights yet.  If this is good for you, and you're interested in doing it [:D], then PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call so we can discuss further and then perhaps arrange for you to come over and meet the gang - and also see where you might be living for a few days - fingers crossed!

Best regards,

Lynda & Pete