A question on puppies...

aj_dr

[quote user="aj_dr"]

Also, if there are any breeders out there, how often due you normally let a bitch have a litter?

aj
[/quote]

Never if you've ever visited a refuge!  I hold my hand up to having bought a pedigree puppy in the past but I will NEVER do it again now that I have seen the suffering in the eyes of all the dogs wanting homes.  Please consider this when trying to intententionally bring more dogs into the world. 

Yes, I think it is usual to have the microchip and first vaccination done.  This is what happened when we bought our springer pup about 2 months ago.  However, I have to agree with Panda, it is better not to breed.  I only bought a pup from a private breeder because I already have two quite difficult dogs and was desperate not to have another dog with a lot of baggage.  I felt bad doing this but I knew it was the only way I would get a dog that my current dogs would accept.  I felt doubly guilty because I used to be a volunteer for a dog refuge in the UK.  I always say, if you are going to breed, do as the breeder of my deerhound did, which was to say that if for whatever reason, I was unable to keep him, he had to be returned to her.  If you can't offer this security for the dog, don't breed.

We got a (cross-bred) puppy recently which came with jabs but no micro-chip. 

When I bred pedigree dogs 20 years ago, I only ever bred once a year and for a specific reason - like wanting a dog for showing or knowing that I could find homes for the puppies.  The last puppy I bred I sold without papers into a good home.  And I can tell you that there is absolutely no money to be earned from breeding puppies. 

I get upset to see so many dogs going into the refuges but there is still a place for pedigree dogs if that is what you want.  Parentage is more certain, temperament often true to the breed and no previous handling baggage to sort out.  And if showing is your hobby, then dog and owner can get a lot of enjoyment from that. 

I don't think I would have one now but I wouldn't judge another person for wanting to have one.  The focus should also be on making dog owners take more responsibility.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lynda

Would you dump your child at the side of the road?

Thanks for the replies, I am NOT looking to breed. We are looking for a small dog and have searched refuge places and they only have large ones!! I have friends who have dogs from a refuge and have no problems with them. To all these people who are commenting about me intended actions: If   you know where there is a dog the size of a Westie/Cairn in the Charente Maritime in a refuge PLEASE let me know.

aj

If you are getting a pup from a breeder, you should be able to ask for it to be micro-chipped rather than tattoo'd.  a couple of years ago some breeders were still tattoo'ing by preference - unsure if this has changed.  I asked the one I got my pup from to microchip rather than tattoo.  I think French pups are given their 1st "routine" vaccinations earlier (i.e. normally before 2 months when you would collect it), though this batch does not include rabies vaccination (which is quite a bit later).  That is unless things have changed recently.

(I agree with the rescue comments and appreciate why people (myself included) sometimes purchase from breeders)

Ian

Puppies and breeding are not my thing !  But dogs put up for adoption have to be identified and are usually also vaccinated.

So to answer your query and your email aj, I have just had a look regarding breeders.

It confirms that tattoo or microchip is compulsory (that goes for any change of ownership of a dog), but it seems to say that vaccinations are not compulsory (except for imported dogs or those sold on foires or marchés), though any serious breeder would obviously have had it done.  Have a look here.

http://www.chiens.fr/doc/legislation.html

And here it might help you to see the ages when puppies can have the different vaccinations.

http://www.auberdog.com/chiots_vaccination.htm