German Shepherd

trastu

Hi there

Does anyone know please or can tell me who officially I can speak to regarding any possible problems we could encounter in trying to bring our beloved German Shepherd to live in France with us in light of the Dangerous Dogs Act.  He has an up to date pet passport (in fact he has just had his first booster vaccination).  If he cannot come with us then we won't be relocating so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tracey.

We have a beautiful german sheperd  which we brought with us.  As long as you have all your documentation  there are no problems.   She has settled into living here no problem.  The vets here are excellent.  The pet passport is the  only essential.

Good luck,  I fully understand how you feel.   Sheperds are very special. 

We feel France has given our sheperd a new lease of life.

We have 4 German Shepards 2 came over with us and the other two were born here. They have the most wonderful lives and are extremly happy, healthy and spoilt.

Do not worry at all so long as your GSD is with you it will be happy here to.

Good luck with everything[:)]

Our German Shepherd Kimber moved to France last April without any problem. We registared him with a local vet and went for a check up and his annual jabs back in Sptember. He goes this week again to the vet for his rabies booster. He has settled in very well and seems to like the French way of life very much. He enjoys staying in hotels and the very occasionally visits to a restaurat with us. Having lived in a urban area for seven years of his life he now loves been a country dog.

Goo luck with your move,

Francie. 

My neighbour has one. It is untrained, barks at and chases cars and passers-by. It blocks the road, baring its teeth and drooling at me and my son when we want to go out for a walk. My neighbour sends it into our garden to do enormous poos which we constantly stumble into. It is not fenced in and is not chained up.

No, no problem at all with the Mairie as they are not classed as dangerous dogs...!

I wish we had one of you lot as our neighbours instead. I'd love to see this dog on an occasional visit to a restaurant!! I am not (with good reason...) a dog person but it is such a shame to see dogs like this left to their own devices, getting bored and aggressive, when clearly they react well to training and attention.

Sorry for the rant,

Jane

Jane & Danny

I am sorry you have had this bad experience with your neighbours German Shepherd but you are right they do respond well to training and attention.  Any dog can be dangerous, not just German Shepherds, it depends on how they are brought up by the owner.  Our Shepherd Kal is a much loved member of our family and is the most well behaved dog.  He has the most even temperament, he is placid, gentle loyal and affectionate and recently at the vet's he was subjected to a painful examination during which he yelped in pain so if he was going to attack anyone it would have been the vet but he did nothing of the sort.  In fact when he had to go for his checkup he was so pleased to see her he licked her and wagged his tail!

We are responsible dog owners who wouldn't dream of letting him do his business in other peoples gardens so I hope that if we ended up living next door to you you would judge us on our own merits.

Tracey

One more responsible dog owner is always a bonus, and it's great you have all spent the time to train your animals and get to know them. I hope I didn't offend, it just makes me mad when some people really do make the effort and others can't be bothered. Our neighbours on the other side have 5 small dogs, all enclosed and always walked on a leash. They now go off in the car to walk them elsewhere, even though we are in the middle of the countryside, because there are so many other dogs in the area that just roam around free. 

Good luck with your move and I hope you find a fabby place to live - neighbour aside we love it here and wouldn't move for anything.

Jane

Jane

No you didn't offend me.  It makes me so mad as well when people (and I use the term loosely) like your neighbour have dogs when they can't be bothered with them - after all no one forces them to get a dog!!  It's obviously not pleasant for you to have to live next door to them. 

Thank you so much for your best wishes with our move - it's really exciting but a bit nerve racking too!!

Regards

Tracey

Some people simply should not have animals at all.

Just this morning my son adopted a 9 week  old puppy.  This little darling was living in an awful, disgusting place, yet he has such a sunny character that we know he will be a marvellous family dog despite what he has already been through in his short lifetime.   Life changed for the better for this little fellow today.

[IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/moya011/JimandOllie.jpg[/IMG]