Training needed - urgent, please help

lucky luke

Please can someone help or advise. I'm writing on behalf of my mother who has taken in a labrador/collie cross/puppy. We picked up "Murphy" from an animal rescue centre when he was three months old. He is now six months old. He is a beautiful dog, but my mother is at her wits end. The dog constantly bites and jumps up at visitors and family. My mother is covered in bites and bruises; my daughter (who loves animals) is afraid to go round and visit and every visit is heralded by fear and apprehension. Murphy loves company and is fine with our labrador (although our dog has been nipped and bitten). My mother is not new to dogs, she has had and trained at least three other puppies, but Murphy's behaviour is testing everyone. Unless we can resolve this situation I fear that my mother may be forced to give Murphy "up". Please can someone help. He is a lovely dog, but we need help. I don't think "group" clases will help, we are prepared to do anything that will resolve this situation, but I fear that unlesss we get help soon, then this will be a sad situation for everyone involved. Please, please can you help. We love this dog, but are at our wit's end.

Many thanks

LL   

As a start - and as far as practicable - whenever he demands attention in a way you don't like, turn away from him completely, no eye contact and shoulders turned away from him. At the moment, his antics are getting him what he's asking for: attention and you (your mum) has to begin teaching him that she chooses to give attention, he has to stop demanding it. If he came as a pup from a rescue centre, he may not have been with his mother for long enough for her to start teaching him how to behave. A gentle shake by the scruff of the neck by your mother may start to remind him who is boss. I don't mean suspend the poor pup in the air, a gentle shake and push down towards the floor should be enough. If his collie side is coming out in him, it may also be that he's looking for a lot of mental stimulation and part of the problem is he's bored. But I'm only guessing, of course.

This is an big subject and undertaking and one you won't want to get wrong so perhaps someone here can recommend a website, book or a trainer who can start your mum off on this.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have tried to ignore his bad behaviour and used a water pistol; so far to no effect. The vet says he cannot be castrated until he is one year old. We live in the south Vendee if anyone knows of any trainers. Thanks again for all the support, any other advice would also be welcome.

Regards

LL