GSD Found!

Morse98

Hi,

Went to feed my Percheron this morning and found an old Male German Shepherd Dog in her field with her. He had No collar, No Tattoo and after a visit to the vets we now know he has No microchip either!lol[:@].  He may have been wandering for some time as he is exceptionally thin and extremely tired bless his heart, he was even sick earlier and he brought up some sort of furry animal. 

Have notified the local authorities and the commune(Domfront, dept 61) are going to put an announcement in the local paper. I have also informed them that he can stay with me until we can find his owner(can't bear the thought of him being in the pound!) 

He was found in St Gilles des Marais(dept 61 near Domfront)

He is approx 8yrs old, short haired,lovely looking however unfortunately his back end is going. He is great in the car and the house and is extremely gentle.[kiss]

If anyone has or knows anyone that has lost an old GSD in or around the area of Domfront/St Gilles des Marais please get in touch. He has been fed and watered and even had a bath so he is being well looked after I can assure you. 

However if he is not claimed then I will keep him here with me(and theres' me saying I wouldn't ever have another dog after losing Morse last year)lol!  Am hoping that we can find his owner for his sake though as I am sure he would be happier in his usual home and before I get too attached to him.

It's fate Morse, if ever you keep him, fancy finding him in the field with Lancia.  But don't give up hope of finding his owners.  Often the older dogs are reclaimed.  Can you post a photo and if you like I can put him in the "found" on Rescue.

Good luck with him, whatever.  But I do have a strong feeling that he might be meant for you.   [kiss]

Christine,

Thanks for those kind words, I know it is really spooky that he was in her field! Of all the places to find him! I will try to get a photo on here asap although at the moment he is sprawled across my lounge rug fast asleep, think the bath took it out of him lol!!

So far he has managed to keep down the two small meals he has had so am keeping my fingers crossed, he hasn't yet been to the toilet(at all!) though and he isn't drinking that much. He seems to be happy enough and when I walk back into the room he lifts his head and wags his tail so I must be doing something right.

WBB,

Yeah why did he chose me?! probably heard that I'm a soft touch[:D] also that I'm mad about GSD's. I am a great believer in things happen for a reason, even if you don't know why at the time. Look at the way Lancia just turned up[kiss], right as I had to make the awful decision to let Morse go[:(]

I do hope for his sake we find his owners though as he is this age and obviously will have a bond with them.

Pictures of the boy! At the moment I am calling him Chance (as in Bon Chance)As you will see he is a lovely looking boy.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/Morse98/P1010109.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/Morse98/P1010110.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/Morse98/P1010111.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/Morse98/P1010113.jpg[/IMG]

He definately seems a bit brighter now and has been out in the garden for a wee! Laid on the front door step for an hour or so and then wandered back into the sitting room where he is once again alseep. Oh! And he's been Frontlined just in case!

Sorry Admin, don't know how to size the pics!!

He's absolutely magnificent and he looks a really wonderful dog.  You are lucky Morse!  It's funny there is no trace of a tattoo on such a beautiful dog.  Did the vet look under the back legs as well?

To make the photos slightly smaller, in Photobucket you click on edit and can choose the one that's 640 by something I think.  I'll put him on Rescue later on.

Did he have that collar on or is it yours?

Magnolia, You little tinker you[:D]

Christine, I know he is gorgeous isn't he! I can't believe he is NOT tattooed(have checked everywhere on him) or chipped either and he didn't have a collar on (the one in the pic is Morses' old one). Just amazing though it is a male GSD and not any other sex/breed perhaps Morse sent him!

Am really hoping someone is looking for him, it seems such a shame to have a wonderful dog like this to have ended up as a stray![:(]

There used to be a detective series on UK TV called Morse, his second in command was called Lewis (played by Kevin Whateley) and a new series is just starting with the lead played by Lewis (Morse died at the end of the previous series).  Just seemed to make sense in your circumstances.

Sueandpete,

Ahhhh, light dawns on yonder window,derrrrr!!!![:$]

Had totally forgotten about that programme. You are quite right and it does make sense, however at the moment I am trying despeately hard NOT to get too attached in case we find his owners. That close a link to Morse would be too painful if I then have to give this boy back.  

Russethouse & Catalpa,  [:D][:D]

Does anyone know where I stand legally with regards to finding this boys owners?!   It's not that I don't want to find them! as I do for his sake. It's just am not sure how much effort I have to put into finding them, obviously as I've stated have let the local authorities/vets/mairies etc know however just wondering as he appears to have been wandering for a while do I have to widen my search for the owners?! And if so how wide, 50km,100km?!

Thanks

Does the dog speak English or French? That's a genuine question as I've noticed that cats and dogs do pay more attention to their "native" language.

You're doing all I would do to find the owner. One other thing I might do is put up a couple of posters in and around your commune. Other than that, as Clair accurately (imo) says, it's up to a caring owner to go through the process of finding their dog. The dog has no identifying marks so no one has tried hard to "own him" so <gallic-shrug-emoti> if no one comes forward, Lewis has found a new and safe home. I really hope he has. By which I mean... I hope no owner turns up. [:)]

As long as you have declared finding him at the local mairie and gendarmerie you should be all right.  He is a beautiful dog and looks as if he has been cared for until he was wandering and therefore lost weight.  He doesn't appear to be nervous or anything.  Who knows what happened to him.  He may have been stolen and come from a completely different area, perhaps his owner died and the family didn't want him.  Often elderly people in the country don't know how to go about finding their dog, thinking he'll eventually come back on his own, until he doesn't.  By his paws, he looks as if he has roamed quite a bit. 

Someone found a Brittany Spaniel near Niort last Saturday, 9th February.  Luckily he was tattooed.  He was quite elderly and had disappeared on 25th January.  His owners were so relieved to find him.

He's on Rescue Morse, where others are putting him on other sites.  Personally, I would get him chipped, then if you find the owner they can reimburse you and you will be sure that this time he has an identity for the future.  If he is not claimed, you would probably have it done anyway.

Chance is a nice name, so is Lewis, so is Valentine !   [:)]

Christine,

Thanks for that advice and information also for putting him on the Rescue.[kiss]

I think you are quite right and he has roamed quite abit! So we could be looking in totally the wrong area for his owners,lol.

My problem is I could quite easily get very attached to this boy and then in a few weeks/months have to give him back to his owners. Part of me thinks hey what the heck they didn't even make sure he could be identified and the other part of me thinks of how I would be feeling if he were mine and I lost him!

STOP giving me more names to think about,lol!![:P] Had thought perhaps that I might change it to Lewis as Sueandpete suggested as it links to Morse. Boy-o-boy this is hard I've only had him since yesterday morning and he's already getting under my skin.

[quote user="Morse98"]

He may have been wandering for some time as he is exceptionally thin and extremely tired bless his heart, he was even sick earlier and he brought up some sort of furry animal. 

He is approx 8yrs old, short haired,lovely looking however unfortunately his back end is going. [/quote]

Just a thought - but as he is unmarked and with no collar tag - it is possible that the previous owners may have meant to lose him on purpose if what you noticed re his 'back end' is fairly obvious even to untrained eye. One of the traits I find difficult to get used to here is the attitude of some French people to their animals. Sometimes it happens that if the animal needs medical care then it is cast out with little concern and a replacement acquired. One of our neighbours had a dog that was getting old and needed vet care and would continue to do so, not being willing to shell out he killed it.

Sue

Sue,

I know what you are saying and his back end is fairly obvious however perhaps I notice more because I have always had dogs and more recently GSD's so know what to look out for, although I doubt it because if you see him when he tries to cock his leg he almost falls over! He is walking easier today however so that is good, perhaps because he is not wandering anymore and is being allowed to rest and is being fed.

The thing is I would have thought if his owners didn't want to pay for any treatment at least they would have had him PTS rather than just cast him out. As they say there are worse fates than death!

He seems to respond slightly better to French than English although he doesn't seem to mind which I use! He wags his tail now and has even given me a kiss without any prompting so he obviously thinks I'm ok(animals usually know though if you're a soft touch[;-)])

Lets just keep our fingers crossed someone comes forward and he is pleased to see them.

[quote user="Morse98"]

Lets just keep our fingers crossed someone comes forward and he is pleased to see them.[/quote]

No sorry can't do that - he is obviously very happy where he is, so I would prefer to cross my fingers and hope he can stay with you!

Re putting an animal to sleep; that costs too - as was said to me by yet another neighbour as the reason why our neighbour-with-the-ailing-elderly-dog killed his dog rather than pay out anything further.

Sue