EQUINE COMPETITIONS IN FRANCE

scotslassie

Hi, I read somewhere that you can only compete if you have passed BHS stage 2 equiv riding and your horse is registered.  Can someone please clarify.  I enjoy riding club level competitions and have an ex event horse (no breed history) and an Irish cob (registered with Spotty Horses in UK!) neither have known bloodlines but can happily do a 2'6 - 3' xc or sj course and unaffiliated dressage.  I also worked for 3 years with one of Scotlands top dressage riders/trainers and had my own livery yard.  Only ever passed my Stage 1 BHS but have plenty of scarey jumping photos from before I got old and stiff!  Am I limited to hacking in France!?

The short answer is - yes, you will be limited to hacking (mainly) in France!! 

I started to look into doing some competing here with my no-breed papers (even though I know how he is bred) horse and the whole thing was just too complicated and too much hassle.  And I didn't have the problem of qualifications for myself, because I have transferable ones from the UK.

If anyone can give a more detailed answer to what needs doing, I would be very interested. 

Miszter

Hi

I don't think your own qualificatins would be an issue, I would think you could go along to a riding stables and be accessed and as you have a lot of experience you would be rated accordingly.  You may have to take one of the Gallops exams but that wouldn't be a problem for you. 

The issue is with the horses which must registered to compete.  I also have a friend who can not compete with one of their horses as they do not have the breed papers.

Panda

I dont know the ins and outs of it but you can compete without having passed your Galop 7 and with a horse whose origins are unknown.  You need to go to a riding centre and get a licence to compete which I think is about 36 euros.  Your horse does need to be registered with the Haras National as 'origin inconu'.  At the moment I am going nearly every Sunday to small shows in our area where people I know who do not have the Galop 7 compete.  These are local shows and I dont know the whole thing, I just know that you can!

I will find a link for you and post it.  Your best bet is to go to a local riding centre which does jumping and get friendly with them.  You can only get the licence through such a yard.

Please dont shoot me down in flames for only giving half the story, I just wanted the OP to know that she can jump if she wants.

Gail

Hi there,

I moved to France last year and I had my BHS stage 3 and National Diploma in equine.  I went along to my nearest (biggest) equestrian centre and they assessed me and gave me my gallop 7 so I could start competing with the FFE.  I also had to join the FFE and set up an online account so I could enter competitions.  Your horse has to have the Dam and Sire on his passport/papers also a microchip and up to date vaccinations.  You will need your vet to come out a do the paper work (copy of horses marking) for you, then you can register him/her with a Sire Number which you need from Pompadour to register your horse to compete.  If anyone needs any help with registering please contact me, My email is [email protected]

This is only to compete in affiliated competitions I do not know how you go about unafflilated by I would suggest you to go along to a centre and get in with a club.  It cant be any more complicated!

Chelsey[:)]

Thank you so much everyone.  This is my first time on a forum and its amazing how fast your questions can be answered and extra info found.   I am not into serious competitive stuff anymore and hate showing anyway... too much bitching and snobbery for my liking!  I prefer to have a bash at something where you can only blame yourself if you dont get placed, not the judge or other competitors (and no need to clean tack until afterwards)!  Anyway, it basically seems that I can join up with a friendly riding school or club and do informal events or maybe even start up my own mini competition....insurance permitting.  I have organised numerous shows (with sponsorship and working hunter rings, dressage, sj and 2 showing rings) , fun days, combined events etc so if and when I move, if anyone wants to help I will keep you posted!  I am currently looking at property in Dept 3 Allier, on the Limousin-Auvergne border.  Is there anyone out there... and is it easy to rent grazing or persuade farmers to sell a little bit?  Its like gold dust here in my area of Scotland and I couldnt get anyone to bite at £5k per acre for 3-4 acres!