Dogs and Guinea Pigs..

SS2002

How would I go about taking our dog back to the UK?  It is unfortunately on the cards that we will have to return to the UK and we have a dog that we got from the SPA - she is a lovely dog and it would be hard to give her back, so what would I need to do for her to be allowed into the UK? 

Also, what do I need to do about the guinea pig to get him into the UK?

Many thanks, Sandra

Friends had simialr probs with a cat. It seems that you will have to obtain a passport and then keep the animal here for 6 months then go through the normal routine to import a foreigner into UK, vet inspection and cert issued more than 24 but less than 48 hrs before departure etc. Maybe check the Min of Ag website ?

Di says that guinea pigs are considered a delicacy in parts of S America but on it's own would just be a light snackette. Sandwiches for the journey ?

John

Re taking dog to UK, I am pretty sure the rules are that the animal has to have a rabies jab, then 30 days later (not 100% certain on the 30 days but it is a couple of weeks definitely) a blood test has to be done proving that the vaccination worked.  It is the 6 months from the date of the blood test that the animal can enter the UK - with of course the last minute vet check/worming/flea and tick treatment.  But, do be aware that sometimes the first vaccination doesn't take - one of my dogs had to have a second course, and then a second blood test, and then from that date, it was 6 months until we could take her back in.  Spontaneity really is difficult under these circumstances!!

• 2 weeks later...

They're nice but I couldn't eat a whole one myself [;-)]

Seriously we have two, they are lovely pets and I don't think I would want to leave them behind if given the choice.

Let us know how you get on