Staffies

fandango

We have a nearly 11 year old Staffie that we are hoping to take to France when we move in 2007. However, having seen the French embassy list of dangerous dogs it would seem that, as a Staffie without a pedigree, she is on the list.Then, having read some of everyone else's postings and the letter from the French Minister of the Interior, it would seem she is not a dangerous dog. Help! I just don't know what to do. Has anyone else taken an un-pedigreed Staffie on the ferry to France, what is the procedure and did they get stopped, refused, questioned, anything!!I have e-mailed the French Embassy in London, quoting the afore-mentioned letter and await a reply but anyone else's experience will be welcome.

Somebody else may be able to give a more concrete answer than this, but my understanding was that just because you have a dog on the dangerous dog list of breeds, you are not prevented from owning one, you just have to register it with the local powers that be.

I would therefore assume that you are allowed to travel with your dog to France, on the assumption that you will register it upon arrival. Don't take my word for it - do check, please.

Try contacting your local DEFRA office - they helped us regarding all requirements when we exported our cats outside the EU - they seemed to have copies of the requirements for everywhere.

Warren

I met a lovely staffie at a market (in France) recently and her owner told me the dog had to be muzzled and on a lead when outside.

There is a difference between American Staff terrier and staff bull terrier. See here (in French)

Pedigree or not, if your dog looks like a staffie, she'll be treated as one by the general public and possibly by the local gendarmerie.

With the number of stories whipped up in the press about dangerous dogs, you really must take a belt and braces approach to this.

More info here

hi,

there is another posting here regarding your breed of dog, and they are NOT classed as a dangerous dog here, pedigree or not, christina can give you more information, as she recently posted to rehome a staff here in france and is more up on the law than me.

good luck

MONTY

Fandango I write having owned Bassets for all of my life and nothing will change that.  I also write having remarried some years ago and with my wife coming from the West Midlands you can guess the rest!  A staffie followed. Yes Bridie is now 13 and wonderful.  We went through what you went through and Bridie has her pedigree and all of that  and................they are not repeat classed as dangerous dogs here in France.  Come to Villedieu les Poeles go to the atelier in the main street and see his wonderful Staffie.

However if you are going to bring the staffie in the most urgent of all prerequisites is of course the rabies and the attendant detail.  Get that right it is important.

Bridie is now getting a bit tired and spends most of her life sleeping going out occasionally when she feels the need and exploring all the land around our house.

regards

Wonderful to read this, as we were getting worried about bringing our (non pedigree, but very obviously) Staffie over.  He's so un-dangerous that the only thing he hurts is anything he sits on too hard - my wife is threatening to re-name him 'Caramel', 'cos she says he's brown, sweet, soft and thick! (The last only by comparison with our devious border collie).

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not on the list of dangerous dogs (yet!).  Your query seems to be because yours is a cross and that I don't know the answer to, except that a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross is not on the list either is it ?

http://www.planete-staffie.com/arrete.htm

What is written exactly on your dog's identity papers ?

My dog is not a cross, she is staffie through and through, however only one parent was pedigree so she is not. The information I found was on the French Embassy website  where it says that non-pedigree staffies are on the dangerous dogs list. I have e-mailed them, quoting the letter from the French Minister of the Interior which says they are not, but have not yet had a reply. We are off to France on Friday for a month and were so worried by this that we are now not taking our old girl with us. What is the procedure at the ferry port, before boarding, in England? I know no-one seems to check you when you land in France, at least not at Roscoff! We hope to move to France later next year and really want this sorted out before we leave.

regards    Fandango

I have just sent an email to the Société Centrale Canine saying that there are more and more anglais wanting to come to France with a Staffie and that I tell them the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not on the list.

But there are two other cases we are not sure about

1) A thoroughbred Staffie, but not "LOF"

2) A Staffie cross  (I got mixed up as I thought it was the same person as on Total France who asked about this).

Now we shall see what they answer.

Now here is the reply!

Bonjour, 

Pour le premier cas, si le Staffie de race est titulaire d’un pedigree reconnu, il n’y a pas de problème et de toute manière il ne devrait pas y en avoir puisqu’il n’est pas dans les races concernées par la loi, mais néanmoins pour prouver qu’il appartient bien à la race staffie il faut bien fournir un document officiel l’attestant et notamment son Pedigree. 

Pour le second cas, c’est à mon avis très différent, croisé staffie (on ne sait pas avec quelle autre race), cela peut donner un chien différent morphologiquement du véritable Staffie et le rapprocher, toujours morphologiquement, des descriptions des types de chiens apparentés reprises dans la loi. Il sera alors très difficile de prouver aux autorités compétentes qu’il n’appartient pas à la première catégorie.

Bonne journée

She hasn't understood the first part of the question, but has answered as for a Staffie with pedigree.

So before I ask her again about yours, could you please let me know what exactly is written on her identity papers.

Then it looks as if you should be all right as they say

"If the Staffie has a pedigree there is no problem and in any case there shouldn't be any as he is not in the breeds concerned by the law, nonetheless to prove he is really a Staffie you have to be able to show an official document stating that and in particular his pedigree."

Pour le premier cas, si le Staffie de race est titulaire d’un pedigree reconnu, il n’y a pas de problème et de toute manière il ne devrait pas y en avoir puisqu’il n’est pas dans les races concernées par la loi, mais néanmoins pour prouver qu’il appartient bien à la race staffie il faut bien fournir un document officiel l’attestant et notamment son Pedigree. 

But I'll check with them again just to make sure.

• 1 month later...

ok im confussed

i have a staffy 4 years old when i came to France i got fined 30 euro for not having him muzzles i have papers to prove they are a class 2 dangerous dog  from my Maire as i had to register him there  he as to be muzzled when out and no child under 18 to walk him i was also told by my vet the same i live in department 79

Would it be possible to scan and show us this paper from your Mairie with the date on it?  The Staffie is not on the dangerous dogs list.  There was a mix up at the beginning with the American Staffordshire Terrier as it was originally called a Staffordshire Terrier, which was later rectified.

We have already had a thread about it, but the same query keeps coming back :

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/569213/ShowPost.aspx

http://perso.orange.fr/aipm/loi%20chiens%20dangereux.htm

Rectificatif sur le Staffordshire Bull Terrier :

Le Staffordshire Bull Terrier dit « Staffie » fut un temps inclus dans la loi de janvier 99 par erreur du ministère de l’agriculture, en le confondant avec le Staffordshire Terrier, race qui n’existe plus depuis 1972 ! Suite à plusieurs courriers adressés au Ministère, le jugement est tombé ;

Le Staffordshire Bull Terrier ne fait pas partie des chiens dits « dangereux ».

Le Journal Officiel est là pour l’attester :

Le Staffordshire Bull Terrier ne fait plus partie de la deuxième catégorie (numéro du 5 février 2001, page 774.)

http://clubcaninrochois.free.fr/Reglementation/staffordshire.html

OneStaffy, I can only suggest you print the above letter and the text above it, take it to your Mairie and ask for your 30 euros back !  It might also be a good idea to give this information to your vet as he also seems to be giving incorrect information.

• 6 months later...

I am interested to find out more re staffies in France. We are planning to go to France for a 2 week break in 5 weeks time and were planning to take the dog who has a passport. We were horrified to find that as he is a staffie cross there is a problem in taking him and would like to find out more. Would it be possible to contact the Christina that you refer to in your email?

Regards

Linda

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone who has read on this forum about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in France sent me an email asking if he could bring his pedigree Staffie to France without any problems.  I have tried to reply several times, but get an undelivered email message back.   Your address is with Tiscali, it seems to often happen with Hotmail addresses too, don't know why.

I am not in a position to guarantee anything, just pass on the information received, that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier with a pedigree is not on the list of dangerous dogs.