Pet passport for rescued dog

Kitty

I've searched on the posts for this question without success.

If we rescue a French dog (I live in France) that is chipped and already has had regular rabies jabs but doesn't have a passport, do I still have to wait 6 months after the rabies test comes back?

Coops.  I don't understand your answer.  I haven't had enough coffee.

We have the opportunity of rescuing a French (female) dog that is already chipped but, as she is French, she does not have a passport to go to the UK for our summer holidays.

My understanding is that it is not the fact of the vaccination that is important but the results of any subsequent blood test which shows the presence of an adequate level of rabies antibodies. If it can be shown that these antibodies have been present for six months then the passport will be valid. This can only be done by means of a blood test. The fact that the dog is already chipped will be invaluable in establishing its identity, but of itself will not entitle the dog to have a passport.

So, if there is no existing record of this dog having a successful blood test, it should be tested now and it will be able to travel in six months time.

The six months is, of course, the old quarantine period.

[quote user="Cathy"]

We have the opportunity of rescuing a French (female) dog that is already chipped but, as she is French, she does not have a passport to go to the UK for our summer holidays.

[/quote]

Hi Cathy

Here is the site you need to check out http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/index.htm

As I understand it a pet can enter Britain no sooner than six months after a successful blood test for rabies antibodies.

If your new dog is already protected and up to date and you have the proof of vaccination you could have a blood test done without any further jabs ( until the booster is due), You will still have to wait 6 months.

So this year the earliest you could take her would be Nov.[:(]

Good luck anyway with your new rescue dog.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Funny Csinc because in the UK my cats' passports were issued when they were chipped, but without the blood test bit filled in so they had the documents but could not travel.[/quote]

You may be in possession of a passport, but it is not valid until the six months have passed.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Funny Csinc because in the UK my cats' passports were issued when they were chipped, but without the blood test bit filled in so they had the documents but could not travel.[/quote]

You may be in possession of a passport, but it is not valid until the six months have passed.

[/quote]Yes, that's what I was attempting to say, although none to succinctly, obviously![:-))]

Oh crickey.  I haven't rescued her yet but was planning on going this weekend to see the family who have her.  I was looking for a companion for my last remaining dog, who is lonely (in the past, I have had up to 4 rescued dogs).  I want to go back for 6 weeks to the UK in the summer.  Dilemma time.  I had hoped that chipped and vaccinated (but obviously not tested), all would be well.  How do British people rescue dogs here in France?  Do they never go back to the UK?

[quote user="Cathy"]How do British people rescue dogs here in France?  Do they never go back to the UK?[/quote]

Mr Cat & I have decided that it'll be seperate trips for us back to the UK this summer, so one of us will at home with the cats.  Sad, soft, stupid - call us what you will ..... but that's us!! [:D]

Mr and Mrs Cooperlola do exactly the same.  We never go anywhere together (except for a few days in Belgium in July/August, but we always rush back to relieve whoever's feeding the little - and big - darlings.)  Yup, soppy/sad/soft, but who cares.  (The dog though, we always put in kennels if we both go away.)

I suspect, Cathy, you have to take on your new dog when you get back from the UK.  You can kennel them or travel round the rest of Europe though, without the blood test - just the jab - afaik.

I agree, Anna, that it's less complicated to stay in France but I have to go back during the summer holidays because I have 4 children, who want to keep in contact with their UK friends.  One of my children has severe learning difficulties and her special needs' friends are a lifeline to her (she wants to marry two if them!).

Ah, yes, Cathy, in that case, it's understandable that you need to go back. Perhaps you might be lucky enough to find someone reliable closeby who might look after your rescue dog while you go back, if it's not for too long (maybe you could compromise with your children and not have to go back for all of the school hols.).

In any case, I hope it all works out for you.

Best wishes

[quote user="ali-cat"]

[quote user="Cathy"]How do British people rescue dogs here in France?  Do they never go back to the UK?[/quote]

Mr Cat & I have decided that it'll be seperate trips for us back to the UK this summer, so one of us will at home with the cats.  Sad, soft, stupid - call us what you will ..... but that's us!! [:D]

[/quote]

Ali, you and Mr Cat are not the only silly b*****s around here.  OH and I spent over 10 years having separate holidays only taking about 2 holidays together (with a friends' daughters staying in the house) when we had our catties.

Last month, we took the dog back to the UK with us.  Went miles out of our way so we could go "sous manche" and so the dog was never separated from us.  Stayed one night in a hotel on the way out and one night in another hotel on the way back.  She was wonderful, even had a couple of days when she couldn't be let off the leash, no walks to speak of, all new and strange and not a complaint or any barking, nothing.

After putting her and ourselves through all that, we both caught some dreaded lurgy, ill for weeks; in fact, I am not yet fully recovered.  And we have sworn that we would NEVER do that again.  OH was homesick for France, I was stressed to the eyeballs.  Lordy, you'd never think it was supposed to be a bit of a treat for us all!!!

From the DEFRA website (thanks to the poster who provided the link):

A pet cat or dog, including guide and hearing dogs, must meet certain conditions to be able to enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine. It will have to be:

1. Identified with a microchip

2. Vaccinated against rabies (in accordance with the recommendation on the vaccine manufacturer's data sheet)

3. Blood tested at an EU-approved laboratory and get a satisfactory result

4. Issued with an EU pet passport or, in a non-EU listed country, a third country official veterinary certificate.

5. Treated against ticks and tapeworms.

For dogs and cats entering or re-entering the UK these steps must be carried out in the order shown. Use the links above for more detailed information on each of these steps.

A dog or cat may not enter or re-enter the UK until 6 calendar months have passed from the date that the blood sample which gave a satisfactory test result was taken.

The dog that I would like to rescue has steps 1 and 2 done here in France already.  I am assuming that 3 has not been done because the French do not usually need to take a blood sample?  So it follows that I can't take her back for 6 months (from the blood sample date).

We should be well fixed when we get out here full time, I have two friends who are vet. nurses who would LOVE a holiday in France, they get time in France with free accomodation, we get time to go elsewhere knowing all pets are being looked after by competent people they know! Result![:D]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

The Pet Passport is valid when it is issued and its validity

does not depend on a 6 month wait.  For

travel within most of Europe you only have to wait a month (or so) after the

rabies vaccination (but most dogs in France will have yearly rabies

vaccinations so there is no delay because of this).  It is only to enter the UK (and a couple of other countries) you

need the successful blood test and a 6 month wait.  This does not affect the Pet Passport validity for travel to

other countries.

Also, the 6 month wait starts from the date the successfully

tested blood sample was taken – so you do not have to worry about delays in the

lab or getting paperwork back, etc.

Ian

[quote user="Cathy"]Deimos - Thanks for that.  But presumably you always have to have the dog chipped?  It turns out the the dog that I am hoping to rescue is only tatooed.[/quote]

You will need the dog microchipped.  However, there are special regulations that

allow for rabies vaccinations for tattooed dogs to be “transferred” to the

“microchip” (i.e. for French dogs who are tattoo their history under the tattoo

can still be counted).  You will need

the tattoo registration paperwork for this to be done (in theory anyway)  However, if the aims of your getting a Pet

Passport are to visit the UK then your main delay will be the 6 months.

You should get the animal microchipped a.s.a.p.  Get the vet to issue the Pet Passport at the

same time as the microchip is done and get him/her to record the last rabies

vaccination in the new Pet Passport (previous rabies blue or pink certificates

will have the animal’s tattoo number so he can add this OK to the Pet

Passport).  Depending on how long ago

the last rabies vaccination was the vet might recommend another booster and

then a blood sample after a month (can boost the anti-body levels and increase

the chances of a successful blood test). 

However, if you are planning a visit to the UK, make sure that the

additional month delay does not mess-up your plans.

Ian

Cathy wrote How do British people rescue dogs here in France?  Do they never go back to the UK?

Yes, they do go back to the UK but they have to wait the six months after the blood test until the passport is valid for travel to the UK.  After that as long as the annual rabies vaccine boosters are kept up there is no delay.

Bernice

Someone who read this thread has kindly e-mailed me about looking after the rescue dog in her home during the summer holidays, which is great.  If I had known now what I did not know then (if you get my drift), I would not have started looking for a rescue dog until September. I just thought that French chipped and vaccinated dogs would have been already in the process and the wait would be less than 6 months.  Hey ho.  You live and learn.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.  Once the dust has settled, I could offer a temporary home for owners of rescued dogs caught in the same dilemma.  Due to my age, this might be my last adopted rescue dog but temporary homing allows one to have a dog without needing to live for 15 more years to look after it!  Others out there could do the same.