Puppies :-)

SS2002

Hello

We got our dog from the SPA and they said there was a possibility she could be pregnant as she was in season when brought in.  Fair enough, we thought and took the chance!  Decided she wasn't as it would have been a record long pregnancy but then realised that what they actually meant - but didn't say - was that she got pregnant at the refuge!!! 

Anyway, long story short -  we now have 5 puppies!  The birth seemed easy and she is feeding well, but do I need to do anything??  She has cleaned them etc and seems a good mum.  When can I pick them up and cuddle them?  When do we start feeding them?  I know nothing about what to do ;-)

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Sandra

Sandra

Loads on the web about puppy feeding etc

BUT,   you should be able to pick them up- if Mum trusts you, we always did, but this dog is new to you, so see how she reacts first!  she will feed them for a few weeks, but I always helped with cleaning up the mess- a bit fussy me ...

start weaning about  2-3 weeks (milky porridge, baby cereal etc)  them when they get the idea scraped meat/mince -cooked  with wholemeal bread & vegs  or mixed with puppy meal,  about 4x per day.  I also used scrambled eggs, rice etc.  Mum will have to be fed well too - also  I usually gave her a calcium supplement daily.

Worm @ 3-5 weeks   & by now the sharp puppy teeth will mean Mum will begin to avoid them

usual dog jabs around this time, but the vet will tell you. 

Not easy & you didn't ask for so many dogs either - we were registered with the Kennel Club as breeders but only bred our dog (boxer) once- that was enough for me!

good luck & regards

tegwini 

Thanks for your advice - we have picked the puppies up and mum just looks at you as if to say OK, you can for a bit!!!  She is eating for England (or should that be France!) and drinking a great deal.

I will post some pics later - there are 2 black and white ones, 2 black ones and a small brown one.  Mum is a black Poodle cross.

Sandra

Please put some pics on soon! We can't wait to see them! [:D] Maybe you could ask interested people to pay you a fee as the puppies' jabs will cost you money you didn't realise you would have to pay out for.  Also, they'll all have to be registered and microchipped etc.... We just collected a little female poodle from the SPA in Bergerac and I think she may be in season as the dog down the lane keeps trying to get at her... This might sound dumb, but how do I tell, as we've never had a female dog before? [:$]

When a female is in season the first sign is usually drops of blood on the floor etc her bit's will also start to swell a female season generally last 21 days and her fretile period is usually around the 12th day to her 14th day but like us they are all different I have had females mated as early as there 9th day and up to there 18th day a season can also go on for as long as 26 days in my own experiences, the best thing you can do is keep checking her rear end with kitchen roll as I do that way if she is due in season you will catch her from day one, males will get interested in a female a couple of days before the season starts.

make sure you don't let her out on her own until your sure she's not in season as feamles like males will wonder if given the chance, I do wonder why rescues are allowing females in season to be rehomed or those that are pregnant or those they suspect are pregnant not very responsable IMO.   

yep - she's definitely in season! We've found the "evidence!" I'm keeping her on a tight lead at the moment much to the distain of the local males. I wonder why people don't have their wandering male dogs done? That's very irresponsible too. It's cheaper and easier than the female op.

[quote user="Susie"]yep - she's definitely in season! We've found the "evidence!" I'm keeping her on a tight lead at the moment much to the distain of the local males. I wonder why people don't have their wandering male dogs done? That's very irresponsible too. It's cheaper and easier than the female op. [/quote]

Well thats good news in one respect as you can now watch her like a hawk and keep her from straying and getting in to trouble, if you are planning on getting her spayed after this season she can be done 3 months after she has finished when bits and pieces are back where they should be and hormon levels should be back to normal.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I agree it's not ideal, but a home is a home and homing these two probably gave another two dogs a chance rather than be put down.

Put yourself in the position of the SPA.

[/quote]

What is the point if they could get 6+ back in when the pups are born, sorry there is no excuse for this, they could get the ops done at a reduced rate and ask the new owners to contribute.   They are making the situation worse when they should be impoving things!

Hi, we took a chance as my husband had just suffered a stroke and wanted a dog to walk so he HAD to get out and about and we wnated a poodle as they don't moult as we have asthma!!  However, we are now 'saddled' with 5 pups we don't want and limited income.... We will try and give them to loving homes rather than land them back at the SPA - so if anyone wants one please come forward!!!

Finally, does anyone know of a place that does free or low cost vet care/spaying etc as the PDSA in England or the RSPCA?

Many thanks and the puppies are adorable, hint hint :-)

Sandra

Try advertising on various french websites such as vivastreet.fr to give away or ask a small fee to cover your vets costs. Also, photos on vets notice boards should help. Do put all the puppies details on here as soon as poss too.[:D]

Ask the SPA to contribute towards the cost of your vets' bills - they can only say no.  At the very least you should be able to get the vet treatment done at the sort of discounted rate they would get if they (the SPA) did it themselves, as they all get a good rate.  Or your vet may offer the same sort of fee if you tell him the history.

Chrissie (81)

When our dogue de Bordeaux came into season it turned our soppy antique lab-cross into Russell Brand for two weeks when he made an absolute nuisance of himself.  Unsuccessfully in the event, thank goodness.

Anyway with this scenario in mind I was browsing Brico Marche pet dept last week when I found something I had never seen before.    Sanitary wear for girl dogs, black or white knickers and pads which of course avoid the mess and should deter the most amorous of Russell Brands.   Needless to say our girl is getting a set whether she approves of them or likes the colour choice available.  [:D]

thanks Framboise, this sounds just what we need - I'm getting fed up with the washing. Mimi likes to sit on my lap and ... well, you can imagine. I put her onto her own blanket but it's not ideal. I must add that I have heard that amorous dogs can and do get through these pants so don't take your eyes off them for a second, which is all it takes! [:$]

[quote user="SS2002"]

Many thanks and the puppies are adorable, hint hint :-)

Sandra

[/quote]

What a bout those pictures, we would love ot see them and you never know who may look in on this forum, new homes could come flooding through!

• 1 month later...

Never seen those knickers, but your dog should lick herself clean, we never had mess around the house- or on ourselves.

You can get something, sorry I don't know the name,  to disguise/hide her tantanising scent and, there is treatment via the vet for the morning after 'the event'.   Left too late it's not a good idea, although doubtless vets perform late abortions - but dogs only take about 2 months.  This is for next time - not long either - but,  spaying is the best solution.

Hope by now the pups have found good homes- it's a shame to hear of so many strays & so many put down & so many people allowing their dogs to breed & even thinking they can make a profit out of this. Sad to think you got caught here by an animal charity.

regards

tegwini