Re-housetraining a cat

Ian

We have two cats. Have had them for six months, since they were kittens together on a farm. Until recently, they shared the litter tray, but the male cat has started to crap nearby, rather than in it. A deliberate act, not just bad aim!

She Who Speaks With Thunder suggests he's getting fastidious about sharing. (Fair enough, I would too). She also suggested that changing the litter more often might help, but other cats we've had made it do for days.

He didn't use to be so choosy. Can he be persuaded to revert to his previous habits, so saving me from possibly spoiling him?

Thanks

Offering cats two loos isn't what I'd describe as spoiling them. [:D]

Cats are difficult to interpret. How old are yours and are they both neutered / spayed? Are they confined to the house or do they go outside? He may just be choosing to make a territory statement separately from his sister. Or she may be becoming the dominant cat so he accepts that he has to leave his products away from hers.

I'd definitely change the litter more often (cats are normally fastidious about where they deposit) and try giving him a separate tray. If it works why spend time and effort trying to persuade him to do something he's telling you he doesn't want to - or isn't allowed - to do? Anyway, if he's unhappy with the current sanitary arrangement you may find he then starts spraying or depositing elsewhere in the house [:P] so in your circumstances, I'd put a new tray down - perhaps in a different location - PDQ.

Hi

I agree totally with catalpa, we hava a male and female kitten, who did exactly the same thing. We bought another litter tray and the problem stopped. They still have 2 trays but now, only a couple of months on use the same one again. I think just a temporary need to assert himself.

My cats have two trays.  One in the kitchen, one in the lounge.  Our domestic cat uses neither unless she is desperately desperate and usually "goes" outside.   Our wild cats, however, will come in to use one or other of the trays.  Strange, but true.

Two trays are not that difficult to maintain and mine get "scooped" every day and a full maintenance every 3 days.

Yes I also agree, as your cats are starting to mature now.  It is probably a territory or dominance thing.  Also, cats are very clean and really don't like to use a soiled tray (I used to have four tom cats, which was fun (!!!)).  You should find that a second tray solves the problem.

OK, just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons why not invest in a LitterKwitter & teach them to use the loo, then all you have to do is flush. Ours do but you do have to keep the loo scrupuklously clean & check it regularly for 'deposits'. No 'nasturtiums' being cast on your hygiene by the way!

Teaching our 2 cats to use the loo has saved us about £20 per month in litter costs. Yes I am serious.

What is the reason why they can't go outside? Do you live on a busy road?  I have 7 cats and can't think of anything worse than having to clear up cat litter every day.  I recently took on 4 kittens who used the litter tray every day, when I decided they were old enough to go outside I simply took the trays away and they have never soiled in the house again.

We used to live 4 doors from a very busy commuter road & next door to a neighbour who hated us & all about us so the cats which are Tonkinese pedigrees & came from stock which had never been out were kept in. for their own safety. Since we are at present travelling fairly regularly with them between our house in France & a small second floor apartment in UK coupled with the fact that both cats are 9 years old now means that letting them out would be unfair. Also there is a fox living under the disused chicken shed at the end of the garden & I don't think they'd stand a chance against that. Teaching them to use tha loo was the best thing we ever did & it's certainly a useful skill if any cat has to be kept in for any reason or has to live in someone else's house for any reason - at leaqst you don't have to ask them to put up with the smell & delights of cleaning a litter tray.