Dogs & Thunderstorms

Callie

I'm sure many of you out there has a dog who is terrified of thunderstorms...... (luckily ours are fine....)

But does anyone know how to help a terrified dog to lose his fear.  How can you help a dog who goes berserk and will go as far as jumping out of a window in panic???

Help please - all ideas and advice welcome !

Not exactly the same, but my Mum had a jack russell who was terrified of fireworks. The vet gave her a tranquilliser to give him on Guy Fawkes night. If you are really desperate this might be the answer. There is usually a buildup of tension before the storm breaks, so you would have time.

Our border collie is terrified of storms, and hides under the table. Once she ran away, and was out all night, so now we make sure she is indoors when the storm starts. It's not just the thunder and lightening, they seem to sense the electric tension well before it arrives.

Our working cocker gets very worried and there is unfortunately nothing we could do or say to her that would soothe her.  She'd hide under a small table or under our bed and quake.

We have tried coaxing her to sleep with us or be cuddled but nothing seems to work and she has to sit it out herself.

If you surreptitiously watch your dog when storms are rumbling around in the distance, your dog will probably look at you to see how you are going to react to the noise. If you're not reacting he may not relax, he may stay alert, but he may not start showing signs of distress.

Don't look at your dog, don't react to the noise at all. Continue with what you were doing and don't change your behaviour in any way. Everyone around the dog needs to do this. If you do react, even by just speaking to the dog or "comforting" it, you're confirming to the dog there really is a problem and he'll start getting worked up.

I'm not saying that enormous claps of thunder overhead will be ignored by the dog if you're acting unconcerned and not looking at him at all - because eye contact is inviting him to come to you - but you may find that you can begin to stop your dog over-reacting as soon as it hears thunder.

You could record the sound of a storm and play it continuously at very low volume in the background, when the dog ignores it completely, slowly increase the volume. In the Uk they also sell Fellinway ( not sure of the spelling[:$]) plug-ins that soothes the dog's nerves. My friend uses one for her dog on bonfire night.

I've just looked on the link, Catalpa, and it's interesting to note that the DAP system was invented by a team of French scientists !  It's certainly worth looking into and I will certainly pass on the info.  Many thanks.

I agree totally with not reacting to storms and over-fussing a frightened dog.  The problem often arises when the owner is out and the dog is on its own.  That is one of the reasons why tranquilisers are a non-starter, plus the fact that a tranquiliser will not make the fear go away (I've been down that road with my fear of flying !)

I heard tales of a great cure.  You can buy thunderstorm soundtracks which you put on at a very low level with the dog in the room.  Gradually raise the volume over a period of weeks and the dog will get used to it.

You shouldn't comfort the dog if it starts to take notice as the volume is raised .. .this will just strengthen it's feelings that something is wrong.  Act completely naturally.. perhaps have the dog at your feet and pet it just as you normally would.

As the dog get used to the sounds, and realises that you're not a bit bothered by it all, he/she will start to relax.

I've heard that this method can work very effectively.

A friend had two Jack Russells who were badly upset by thunderstorms and she found that the homeopathic remedy Phos helped to reduce their anxiety.  Worth a try?

PhosphorousHemorrhage and VomitingIndications for this remedy are weakness following blood loss, vomiting almost as soon as food or water is taken along with a high thirst for large amount of water. It can also be of use of your companion is afraid of thunder or fireworks. (Borax is also very useful in this situation). Animals that need Phos. tend to be very friendly and excitable.