horsey advice needed please!

plastered again

[quote user="cooperlola"]Yup, Bronte doesn't look like that at the moment either.  In fact, her camouflage is so good she is hard to distinguish from the muddly field she is standing in.[/quote]

I know what you mean: mud [6]

I'm a bit a a fair weather rider now [Www] but even when we get a nice day it takes so long to clean him off  that I'm knacked before we start!!

Looks like you have wonderful grazing. Mine would have to be fed  hay as the grazing is poor and stony

Hi Jacqui - not sure I can add a huge amount to what's already been said (Martin seems to remember a lot for somone who claims not to be interested in horses!).

However, I understand from our transporter Lynette, that the ferry captain has the authority to refuse to allow horses on board if he considers that the sea is too rough, so in theory you could find yourselves stuck in Portsmouth or wherever for a while.  Less likely in the summer I suppose but who knows these days!

Bert has always travelled as a part load and has never taken more than 48 hours to get to us door to door from the transporter's base,  usually nearer 24. 

I was advised - to my initial surprise - to travel him 'naked' so to speak, as they can get quite warm even with aircon. in the lorry, and slipping boots and/or rugs are more likely to cause trouble than being without.

I think one advantage of using a professional company as we do is that they are regular uses of the port and so are well known which perhaps helps if there are ever any local difficulties.  Also a big lorry has more room if they get held up; one time on the way back (via Roscoff) when Bert was alone this happened but he was able to have 3 or 4 compartments opened up thus allowing him to pass the time lying down in comfort!

As far as the paperwork goes, there's always an export licence tucked in his passport when he gets to us in France.  I know this has to be applied for in advance and seems to be valid for just over a month. For the return trip I think it's just the passport but you would need to check that.

Hope this helps.  Perhaps we could meet up during the summer.

W.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, would just like to say thanks for all the advice given when we needed it.

After a lot of thought we decided in the end to drive the horses over ourselves but then................ the lorry blew up!!!!!!!! just our luck.  We then got John Parkers to move them and I can't recommend them enough.  They picked the horses up from our yard in Hereford on the Friday, stabled them at their yard in kent till the Sunday then put them on the ferry and they arrived at our's on the Monday night calm and happy.

They have now settled nicely into life in france and are enjoying the break before I start working them again.

Will post some pics when i've worked out how.

Thanks again

Anj

• 2 months later...
I second sky transport - you wont get quoted such silly prices but you will get complete piece of mind as he is professional through and through.  He not only moved our youngsters to france but a very old pony too. She looked as though she had just been driven around the corner when she arrived, not a hint of stress. He also brought one of our dogs. Would use Philip every time.