Help Cat Litter problem

Lollie

Hi,

My 9month old kitten has now decided to wee and poo outside of her litter try, not all the time, but has chosen my sons bed and the sofa!!   We have now confined her to the sous sol on a night time, and encouraged all the children to shut their doors,   what product can we use to get rid of the odour and to discourage her to do this?

We have not moved her tray or changed the product we use, and its intermittant!!

Lollie 44

There is a product called Feliway which discourages cats from messing in a certain area but I don't know if it is available in France.  Any reason why you can't get rid of the tray altogether in which case will encourage her to do her business outside?  Whatever you do don't use a bleach based cleaner as this will draw her to the spot as they associate it with the smell of urine for some reason.

I don't know if they work, Lollie, but such products are around.  Try :

http://www.polytrans.fr/fiche_produit/attractif_506123.html

http://www.polytrans.fr/fiche_produit/detachant-tout-propre_506467.html

There are other products on this website.

It's tough to discourage cats from doing anything they want to but here are a couple of thoughts. 

Try changing the litter type you use (one of our cats in the past for some reason took agains the pellets and when we swapped to the good old Fuller's earth type, she was OK again.)  Try changing  the litter in her tray more often. Is she spayed?  If not she may be scenting in her favorite places in the hope of some male company (her age is the clue)!  If she really does seem determined to pee in these particular places, then as a worst case buy some incontinence pads from your chemist (Tena - widely available) and place them strategically in the spots where she goes.

We had a similar problem with our two new kittens now a year old. I believe they feel the need to do their business just after they've eaten, so I observed their habits and true enough, just after they had eaten they headed straight for the tray. Our tray wasn't too far from the back door, so when they started to sniff, scratch or climb into the tray, I quickly picked him up and popped him outside. After a few days of this I got rid of the tray.

Another tip I've heard is to gradually move their tray closer to a door, but I've not tried this, so I don't know if it works.

We now put our one year old cats outside at night (when the tray was finally removed) as too often I would come down in the morning and find deposits. Not nice to wake up to! My old cat is fine at night so stays in, if he wants to.

I don't know of any products, I've just cleaned the carpets with carpet cleaner which seems to do the job. Luckily mine didn't use the furniture.

Thankfully they are trained now and naturally go to the door when they want to go out. With the nicer weather, I can leave the door open and they wander in and out as they please.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't help about the kittens new toilet behaviour  I am afraid as  we don't have cats, however, Utopie, one of my dogs has begun to exhibit  similar behaviour  in our new home here.  When we lived in South Africa several years ago I once (and once only) bred a litter of Great Danes and of course there was a lot of urine produced[:D].  I used to purchase from my vet an enzyme based product which when sprayed on the area pee-ed on  did actually "digest" the substance which produced the smell (or so it was described to me).  It certainly worked wonderfully well but I have not been able to discover the same thing here and I can't remember what it was called.  I have used diluted biological washing powder on hard floors and yards and that seems to do the same job.  I am looking out for the equivilent of a "farmers' co-operative" to see if I can find the proper stuff because Utopie has chosen a particular area of a particular carpet to do her thing and I am not sure of using the powder in case it marks the carpet as the house is rented and the carpets are the landlady's.  I have used carpet cleaner on it and there are no marks left but either actually or in my imagination, there seems to still be a faint whiff of pee around and the well-known fabric deodoriser only seems to mask the smell and leaves it's own very familiar odour anyway.  Perhaps the product on Cooperlola's link is the same sort of thing as I used in SA but mine was cheap and at almost 20 euros with postage the stuff on on the link seems a bit expensive.

Do you have another cat in the house?

I ask because we had that problem for over 2 years - we tried everything and eventually decided to rehome the cat to a quiet household

We had young teenagers with loads of friends and decided that she simply couldn't cope with all the noise and changes to her daily routine.

A few years later I was watching an animal behaviur program on the TV and suddenly realised that what had really been the problem was that the other cat had been 'guarding ' the exit so she couldn't get to the cat flap- nor the litter tray.

Why not try having a few litter trays around the house  and see if that works before your kitten gets into the habit of soiling anywhere??

My cat peed on beds, sofas,shoes, schoolbags- we tried feeliway, antidepressants, antibiotics- and she was checked out for bladder stones/tumour.A quick check at the vets might not go amiss.

If only I'd tried the simple idea of extra littertrays. They're not expensive and she could well be living with us now.  Very sad.

I think you need at least one tray per floor and certainly one for each cat and a spare one.

Act quickly though as she's clearly 'unlearning' her litter training!

Good luck!

Thank you all for your advice.   I have changed her litter to a white more refined one, made sure all the bedroom doors are closed and have sprayed the sofa with an antirepellent.  Touch wood we have had no problems since.    She is an only cat. 

Lollie

Cats hate the smell of lemons.  As it's quite a nice smell to humans you could just try spraying the places she was using with a lemon smelling spray (you can make you own with some lemon juice and water but be careful because it bleaches slightly) and she will probably keep well away.