Burying animals at home. A morbid question sorry.

Mishtoon

Hi,

Unfortunately our lovely dog of 11 years had a stroke on Sunday, his second, and let's just say that he's extremely poorly and we've come to the decision to have him put down.  We think it's the kindest thing.  I won't write too much as it's very upsetting.

I want to be prepared before going to the vets.  Do you know if there is a law against us burying him in the garden here in France?  Or are we obliged to have him cremated?

Many thanks for any advice.

We have just lost our beautiful Boxer Max, after fifteen and a half years, totally, totally devastating.

We arranged for the vet to come to the house (less stressful for all concerned) and have arranged a cremation.

There is no problem, as far as I'm aware, if you want to go down the home burial route, apart from the sheer sadness of it.

Chin up and try and remember all the good times.........................

Gary.

Yes you can. We have two of our dogs buried in the garden. The vet just reminds you not to bury them covered in plastic etc. You should also keep any other pets away from the area for a while as they may dig up the deceased!

I lost one of my Labradors a couple of weeks ago but we left her at the Vet to be cremated - the ground was far too hard at the time to dig a hole - let alone one big enough to take a large dog. I would have preferred to bring her home but.........................

Lucinda

Hi Mishtoon

We have buried 2 or our dogs in the garden.  The first one, the vet came to the house and did it there.  We had prepared his grave and we laid him in it and had a few words for him - he was 15.  For our second dog, as my OH was away, I rang a couple of friends - Ann came with me to the vet and Dave stayed behind and dug the grave.  It was really nice having someone else there.  Now we have a nice little glade where they are buried (no headstones) and when I pass through there, on foot or with the mower, I always say hello to them !

So go for it, then your dog will always be there with you.

Mishtoon and Bugbear, just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear this.  A pet is far more than a domestic animal, it's one of the family and only other pet-owners really understand how sorrowful it is to lose one.  I know what it feels like, and I had to have a beloved dog put down many years ago.  Thinking about him brings - alternately - laughter and tears to me as there are so many memories.

So, my thoughts are with you.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind replies.  In the end we decided to have him cremated.  We were just so devastated when in the vets that the thought of bringing him home and burying him was too difficult to think about.  But he went so peacefully.  The vet was fantastic and we just watched him go to sleep, it was a peaceful end and I'm glad we took the decision as he wasn't happy at the end and was suffering.  He was a truly well loved member of our family and my children are devastated.  I had to sleep with my daughter last night and she was crying out in her sleep all night.  All in all he was a very much loved pet and he will be missed every day.  But I just try to keep focussing on all the funny things he did and the great life he had, which he did.  There will always be a part of him here in this house and of course in our hearts.

Thanks again.

Mishtoon

When my best friend Jumble could no longer go on the vet put him down. They cremated him and we were given a wooden casket with little engraved brass plate.

He had always had a wonderful time on a particular beach in Cornwall so we went there intending to sprinkle his ashes. Trouble was I found that the casket was sealed and I ended up banking it on the rocks but it was unopenable.

So his ashes in the casket and now buried in our garden. I think that the scene on the beach would have amused him.