Doggy poop bags!!

aj_dr

Given the number of owners that let their dogs poop anywhere (even on the beach last Saturday) without even the smallest thought of clearing it up, I think that such things are not available [+o(]

Bravo to you for doing the right thing and I sincerly wish you luck in your search.

Pierre    I think you are right I am yet to see anybody in France pick up after a dog.....as for the beach...There is a big notice  forbidding dogs on La Tranche beach but typically nobody seems to take any action when people still take their dogs on .....Last time we were on the beach  we watched an alsation digging in the sand and chucking it over two young  girls lying in the sun....The kids didnt  have the nerve to say say anything to the owner sitting nearby watching it .......Who is supposed to enforce these dog and beach regulations anyway ?....Dogs on beaches ..... they are a 8loody nuisance ..  

Took some visitors to Cognac last week.  Saw some great free ones from a dispenser on the street - biodegradable brown paper bags with a cardboard "pincher".  Helped myself to 5, didn't like to take any more even though there was a full dispenser of them.

Have also seen them in some towns in Britany and Normandy but nowhere really near us.  We normally make sure the pooch has done her business in the garden before taking her out, so it's not so often that we have to clean up whilst out with her.

Our Mairie distributes them to those dog owners who want them.... typically, they must have ordered a job lot and have heaps of unclaimed bags....nobody is interested. Except that periodically, as a result of more robust complaints, the chief of police gets moving and there is a drive to fine callous dog owners (when they can be found), then for a short while it gets better and the doggy-poo-bags get to be used, and/or the special dog-poo sandy areas, but after a short while the vicious cycle starts again. I keep saying I will put little French flag in every dog mess I see - I would need an awful lot of drapeaux tricolores, and the Mairie is not offering those just yet.

So it is well worth enquiring at the Mairie. Usually they are quite used to people mentioning dog mess, it is such a common issue.

[quote user="Frederick"]

Who is supposed to enforce these dog and beach regulations anyway ?....Dogs on beaches ..... they are a 8loody nuisance ..  [/quote]

When our kids were young, we used to seek out dog free beaches. We also challenged people who took their dogs on these beaches and often faced abuse because of this. I have often wondered why dogs aren't trained to sh@t at home.

We went to a very quiet beach (the weather wasn't good at the time) and there was a woman playing with her dog.  We watched her from a distance, and saw her.....picking up her dog poop !  And she was French, so French people DO sometimes pick up after their dogs !

Why to dog owners think their dogs want  to be on the beach....running into the waves for sticks and balls  ? Its not done  for the dogs benefit  ..Its  so they can show off their pet to people who would rather not have it among them while they try and enjoy  some time on the beach ...

Its the owners who are on display .."Look at me ....look at what I can get this dog to do "   I am sure the dog would rather be in a field  trying to smell out the rabbits and rolling in cow pats as they do and then wiping it off their coats over the car seats and the furniture ....Shaking wet dogs ..sand.... and people covered in sun tan lotion do not go together and consideration for  people comes  first...not dogs !

Not my favourite subject but it must be said that I don't think any politician dare suggest any legislation or licence fee  for dogs as they might lose too many votes. As a-carpet-fitter ,for about 30years,I used to go in dozens of private houses and it never ceased to amaze me what dog and cat owners put up with from their so called pets.Shredded furniture,scratched paintwork plus the inevitable smells. I hope I haven't put my foot in it but I'm sure they wouldn't let their children cause the same damage, and why do they always feed them in the kitchen?As for the other end of the problem I see that they now have a lead that they can extend so far  that the cr--pping dog doesn't appear to belong to them. When in St.Malo yesterday I noticed an offensive pile right outside a shop doorway that intending customers were traipsing into the shop.Lovely for the staff to clear up.Dinan, Dinard and St.Malo want to have a real purge on the problem as it's one thing that really spoils things for residents and visitors.

Regards

Thanks to all those who have replied. I managed to find some today at Animal & Co, they were 2.10 Euros for 24, made by ferplast

We go to La Palmyre quite often and by the promenade there is a dispenser unfortunately there is never anything in it!! I also went to Cognac the other day and took 3 of the paper ones!!

aj

[quote user="Frederick"]Why to dog owners think their dogs want  to be on the beach....running into the waves for sticks and balls  ? Its not done  for the dogs benefit  ..Its  so they can show off their pet to people who would rather not have it among them while they try and enjoy  some time on the beach ...
  Its the owners who are on display .."Look at me ....look at what I can get this dog to do "   I am sure the dog would rather be in a field  trying to smell out the rabbits and rolling in cow pats as they do and then wiping it off their coats over the car seats and the furniture ....Shaking wet dogs ..sand.... and people covered in sun tan lotion do not go together and consideration for  people comes  first...not dogs !
[/quote]

I would much prefer a happy waggy dog than a wailing spoilt brat any day of the week, on the beach, in a field anywhere!  I take my dogs to the beach they love it, nothing to do with showing off, how weird that you would think so.

I always clear up after them, best way for me are scented nappy sacks for obvious reasons.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Personally, I think that dogs should be banned from beaches since the day I saw a GSD poo at the edge of the sea which then got lapped up and whoosed against a little toddler.

Humans are more important than dogs!!

[/quote]

Irresponsible owners should be banned, not all dogs.  Same goes for irresponsible parents, ban those too, far more of those on the beaches I've been to. [:D]

Most beaches have a a no dogs ban from June to September anyway, so no need for any new regs.  There are some beaches where dogs are allowed all year.

• 2 weeks later...
when I go to the supermarket, I pick up all the small bags discarded by customers all over the place near fruit/veg! Costless and ec0 friendly in as much as they would hve ended up in the bin anyway. Near me several dog owners DO pick up, tie the bag and .... throw it in the hedge! It's crazy - the hedge is covered with bright blue plastic bags with dog poo!

I aways clear up after my dog .There is nothing worse than treading in dog poo,and think that the people who leave it on the street are disgusting.My dad had the best idea,when a dog continuously pooped on his garden .He watched where his owner lived then wrapped the poop up in brown paper and bow with a label saying "your dog left this...am returning it to you"posted through his letter box

Toulouse was the worst place for poo on the pavements that i have ever seen or smelled.The french take their dogs out with them everywhere so the streets are lined with the stuff.....disgusting!!!

St.Malo. did have the idea of putting painted dog sign on the pavements plus an arrow pointing into the kerbs but the dogs can't read and the owners always look skywards. As the finances of Dinan/Dinard/St.Malo area depend so much on tourism, I'm amazed that they haven't got their combined act together on this offensive problem. a few bottles of dettol in some of the public loos certainly wouldn't go amiss,plus a few words to the dog owners.

Regards.

Last time I was in Nice the pavements were covered in dog mess ....you could see of an evening madam dressed in her house coat coming out of the  apparments to let the pooch  crap on the pavement ..The fines are not big enough...  if they are ever levied  ...A 1.000E  annual  licence fee to keep a dog with the only exception being for the blind and sheep dogs would result in the clean up of the steets ... pretty quick I think .