Wish me luck!

Clair

The semi-adopted teenage she-cat disappeared for 5 days last week and made it back just in time to get her contraceptive pill. I am determined not to let another week go by with the kitty worry.

She is still quite wild and she will not let herself be picked up and I had already made calls to several vets to find out about a relaxing pill (as mentioned by Will in a previous post) in order to get her into a carrier and drive her to the surgery, but up to now, the response had been less than enthusiastic.

This morning, I popped in a new vet's surgery and was given a pack of pills and even a provisional surgery appointment for tomorrow morning...

All I have to do is catch the slippery feline tonight, get her to eat the pill (tuna is on the menu [Www]) and put her in the carrier the vet has kindly lent me. I should get her back tomorrow afternoon and they've assured me they would use self-dissolving stitches to avoid having to go through it all again two weeks later.

Total cost €100.

Firstly, catch your cat... [I]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wish you luck Clair, I have the same problem. They are SO cunning and seem to have eyes in the back of their heads.

The SPA here have a special offer for the 1st week in Nov. Get the cat to the vets for the op. then send the bill to them. At least I think that's what the lady said on the phone.

To obvious for this little one! [:)]

I'm quite sure she will not approach the carrier. She already gets suspicious if the armchair faces a different way!

We're already are on sticky wicket with her, as we've upset what she knows as the natural order by adopting the mature cat from next-door (to save him from a move to town after the death of his owner).

The sleeping pill is supposed to act within 1½ to 2 hours, so hopefully, she'll be out of it (or near enough) and not notice she's been locked in.

I'll keep her in the carrier overnight (no more food) and get her to the surgery tomorrow first thing.

Wishful thinking... [;-)]

Good for you Clair and good luck.  I don't care for those "sleeping pills" much which can be dangerous, but as long as the vet has given you the right amount.  If it fails and I know your cat is wary, you can try the humane trap where the cat walks in to get a tasty morsel, steps on the lever to get it and the doors close.

Could you negotiate, or make out you thought, that the tattoo or chip be included in the price.  It's such a shame when pets are neutered, but not identified and very important for their future.  Who is going to know that this cat is neutered?

En tout cas, bonne chance et bravo.

I'm not too keen on the sleeping pill either, Christine. The vet said 1 to 2 for up to 5kg, but she is really small and I'd be surprised if she weighed more than 2kg!

I'll weigh her if I get the opportunity tonight!

Honestly, if there was any other way to catch her, I'd try it, but she doesn't even sit on my lap!

As with most cats, everything is on her terms and in her time and tonight may well be the only time I ever get the upper hand [:D]

EDIT: good idea re the tattoo or chip. I'll mention it tomorrow (if I ever get there!)

Good luck Clair.  You WILL succeed I'm sure and the little one will be all the better for it.  Hopefully this will also calm her and who knows - within 10 years or so (that's how long it took mine to sit on my lap!!!!!) it will all be worth it.

xx

Oh, Clair, you have made me laugh.

I know a lot about cats, having had two who came, quite uninvited, to take up residence with me.  One died at 18 and the other at 20.  I still felt it was too soon and now, although I have moved countries and it's 6 years since the death of the first cat, I mourn their loss.

I am reminded of when I stole a cat.  Yes, it's confession time.  When we lived in Somerset, we had a neighbour who had a cat that was always neglected.  For example, the cat would only be fed outside and never indoors.  I suppose she didn't want the cat messing up her house with food it had dragged from the bowl.  In winter, the food and water were often frozen in the bowls outside. Also, she used to go on holiday and would leave the cat locked out without any food or water.

OH and I decided to kidnap the cat and take it to a friend's house to be looked after.  This cat used to come into our house for food and warmth.  But, blow me, the night we wanted to kidnap him, he wouldn't come near us.  We tried rattling food bowls and so forth but the cat wouldn't come.  When we eventually got him into the house by waving roast chicken outside, he deigned to come in but refused to be put into the carrier basket to transport him.

Hell, the tussle we had!  Then, after dark, we smuggled him out to the car and to our friend's house.  The end of the story was that within a few weeks, he grew fat and sleek and after the death of the friend's other cats, he eventually got to be "top cat" in her house.

To this day, although I sometimes have twinges of guilt for stealing a cat, I can't say that I am sorry for having done such a dastardly deed!

I hope you find her and get her to the vet.  They seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to keeping vet's appointments.

As for knowing whether she has been neutered if she  doesn't have a chip etc a friend in Spain is running a mini campaign in her village to neuter all the feral female cats.  The wonderful local vet is doing the ops for her for €35 each and is putting a tiny nick in their left ear so she knows which ones have been done.  Apparently cats should legally have chips before vets will treat them in Spain - the exception being feral cats. The last time I spoke to her she was on her 40th female and she does the whole thing by working cleaning holiday homes etc.  A bit like holding back the tide in Spain but at least she is trying.  We adopted one of her abandoned kittens last time we were down there - probably three weeks old at the time.

She hadn't turned up last night by the time I went to bed and there's no sign of her this morning either . The crafty beast must have read my mind!

I'll call the vet to let them know and I'll have to drive down this afternoon to take the carrier back.

It's probably best if I get my own, even if it's used only once. At least, I'll be able to catch her in my time scale. This is NOT the end of the matter!

HAHA! I've got her! [:-))] [:-))]

Her greed got the better of her and she swallowed her tablet down with a mouthful of smelly tuna pâté!

She's not happy at not being able to go out... I hope this doesn't take too long...[:(]

If the vet thinks she shouldn't have eaten beforehand, I'll have to bite the bullet and keep her at the surgery overnight. I'm determined to get this done now I've got her!

Good point, Christine.

It's a battle of wills for now: she's hoping to wear me out with plaintive little cries and I am just waiting for the tablet to kick in so I can put her in the carrier with her familiar bed (an old fleece!)

I'll win this one! [:)]

Hi Cathy,

Well, I had to get Mr Clair to help me put her in the carrier, as she was still not sleepy enough for me to hold her and close the door. I dropped her off at the surgery at 9 and will be collecting her at 4. The poor mite was quite distressed and I am glad she was half-asleep by the time I go the carrier in the car.

The vet suggested an ear tattoo (whilst she is under anaesthesia) rather than a microchip, as it would be visible straight away.

The cost is the same (€50 [blink]) and I didn't have the nerve to suggest a special price. Maybe I will this afternoon when I have to pay the bill...

Well done Clair! I was going to add, get someone to help you put the cat in the box.  Another tip - turn the box up on its end and put the cat in headfirst, then the other person snaps the door shut before the cat gets turned round. I watched the vet nurse do this once.

I still haven't faced the task - scared of getting scratched.[:'(]

Good idea Pat! A bit late, but good idea![:D]

I'll put her in the gite bathroom overnight, where she won't be able to do any damage to the room or herself. She'll have her blanket, some food and water and I'll make some sort of poopy tray with newspapers and saw dust in a crate... and she will not keep me awake...