I'm suffering because of my cats.

mooky

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your message Annie from Wales.

I understand what you mean but I also know and love my Harry. He is part of my family and I have a duty to him. I didn't abandon my son when he decided he would rather spend more time at his friends. So I won't abandon Harry. I know Harry would at least pop in if he was able to. That may have been sufficient. This is a cat who follows me everywhere I go, crawls up me for affection. We walk miles together, sleep together. If I say tickle your tummy, he turns over. If I sing Good night pussy, he curls up and goes to sleep.

I know that whether human or animal, rights of that person animal are paramount.

I do know that love is what counts. 

Many moons ago I gave a baby son of 7 months up for adoption because I loved him too much to see him be deprived of material things.

Bad mistake. It love what counts, in humans, or cats. If I really thought that they loved him more then regretfully I would let him stay, but

please let him have the choice. He can't do that if he hasn't the freedom to walk home, and is being locked in. I live very near to this house

and I know he would come back if he could. Evens if it's only to give me a cuddle before he goes off again.

Original post said "Harry bless him kept rubbing himself around the boys legs with tail up in the air. It was obvious he didn't want to come with me."

Sorry if I have offended - I have only just read this thread and got the impression from the first post that Harry seemed ok where he was. I got the wrong end of the stick so please disregard my comments.

No Annie you haven't offended me at all. I relish any help and comminication on this subject. My first thought was to leave him until he came home. I don't think he has that opportunity though. I don't have a lot in this world, but i'll fight for my family through thick and thin.

Bless you M

Hi Mooky. Forgot to say earlier, when you get him back perhaps you should buy him an elasticated collar with an address tag on it? Our cats wear these and I am sure it helps identify them as belonging to someone and not strays. Sometimes well meaning people feed a cat they think is a stray and cats being cats, they are always up for free food!! I once had a story book I used to read to my son called "Six Dinner Sid", all about a cat that had 6 different homes, he got his comeuppance though when he got a cough and all 6 "owners" took him to the vet for medicine!! Only a story, but so true where cats are concerned! Joy

Madame phoned Tinkerbell and she said she will bring him back. Tinkerbell says madame is a cat lover so it should be alright.

Harry had been wearing a I've been microchipped collar, but someone changed it for a flea collar. I don't really like them wearing

their collars as they love tree climbing and have got them caught in the trees.

Thank you Tinkerbell for your call to madame. I have been out calling him but can't find him yet. 

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/Mooky_011/Baptism012.jpg[/IMG]

Harrys back, but very grumpy and growling at my little cat. Thank you all for assistance and kind words.  Especially Tinkerbell.

I can't stop him visiting but Madame wont feed him, so at least he will come home if he's hungry.

I have just taken a kitten of 8 weeks around to Harrys new family. Phillipe the young son of 12 is very pleased. I am just about to go, and who comes down there stairs? Harry. They say they really do love him too. They are such a nice family. Madame really thought Harry was a stray. She is not going to feed him, though she says she finds that hard. Cheeky Harry jumped on me gave me a cuddle then went back upstairs!  Cats who'd have them! ME

When we first got married we rescued a mother and kitten, sadly the kitten was run over when he was about 6 months old and in a moment of madness I thought that one cat would be lonely on its own in the day (we worked and were out) so we rescued 'Whisky'

Within a few days he was very ill (as in going to the vets twice a day for three days) and had to be fed with a syringe for some time. He recovered, the other cat hated him however all went fairly smoothly - then we moved.

Within 6 months he had adopted a very nice lady and her husband, who had just retired - he wasn't stupid - they made a big fuss of him and had a coal fire that he could curl up in front of, we had two young children and life was more hectic. The lady was very nice and kept bringing him back, but it was a losing battle. This lady was originally a Falkland Islander and every other year they went back for three months and then back came the cat, when we moved around the corner we showed him where we were and this routine continued - they went away - he came 'home'. When he was ill it was my retired friend who took him to the vet and who paid, although we would always give them a contribution - eventually he died on their mat in front of the fire - he had 12 happy years wandering between two homes and we became good friends.He really was a lovely cat...

We have been taking care of our neighbour's cat for the last couple of months. She went to hospital and never came back and I couldn't bear to think of this big country cat going to live in town with her daughters, when he had spent all his life chasing mice and lizards around here...

He is twice the size of the 3-year old semi-adopted she-cat, but she definitely is in charge!

Mooky, you're making it difficult for yourself. Harry won't change his behaviour unless you do something to break it. He's not just at Madame's for food - he's there because he likes it. For whatever reason. Cats are like that.

If it is practical for you, you need to keep Harry in your house for several weeks - don't let him out. That may break him of his habit of going to Madame's.

I speak from experience as someone else's cat adopted us. Once we realised he had a home, we stopped feeding him. He still hung around our house though we didn't let him in as he sprayed. In a cold and rainy winter, he preferred sleeping in the open under our old caravan to going to his home. Why? Go figure. TBH, we got thoroughly irritated with the owners because we didn't believe they were doing enough to solve the problem.

After two years, the only way we broke the cat of the habit of coming to us was by driving him home each time he arrived and eventually his owners did keep him in for a couple of weeks. A year later, he still visits but only in passing.

Madame may stop feeding Harry; that doesn't mean he'll stop visiting Madame without some effort on your part to break him of the habit.

You say that on his return, Harry was growling at your little cat. Are there any other cats at Madame's? If not, Harry may have moved out because doesn't get on with your other cat and he wants to be sole cat.