Dogs and glass doors

chocccie

I am contemplating putting a full length glass door (from Lapayere .. mid-range) in my kitchen but am concerned about my 'orrible dogs ruining it!!  My friends told me their dogs scratched their new glass door within days and that once dirt gets into the scratches it's there for good.  But my husband's mum's door has never been scratched.  (I know all dogs will be different ....but there are dog-shaped claw scratches in the plaster next to the existing door ... so it doesn't look good!!!)

Still .... a grass poll .... if you have full length glass doors and dogs please let me know how they get on together! [:P]

Thanks folks [:D]

Good and bad points about glass doors -

At least you can see if they want to come in without having to open the door and look for them, especially in winter - bad side was our male Airedale used to play 'knock down ginger', he'd stand there tail wagging, see you coming and belt off up the garden! (he never did tire of this)

You can see what they're up to without them hearing you open the door.

Easier to clean glass than keep painting wooden doors.

Our dilly Boxers (now in doggy heaven) not only slobbered all over the door, and Boxers are expert at that,   but, they did scratch the glass, and the scratches here are still visible years after we lost them.  It's a double glazed door, a good quality heavy duty glass.  Fortunately it isn't our front door.

Our home in Gillitts (South Africa) had enormous scratches on a hardwood door,  and the frame was even nibbled, and that was the front door. Eventually it had to be replaced.

Difficult to stop them - they did calm down as they grew up, but never stopped the slobbering.  We made a point of wiping  their mouths- very necessary, as we often noted 12 inch strings of saliva hanging from their mouths, and I have a photo to prove that !!

So sorry if this puts you off dinner- they are of course  the most adorable dogs.

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

Difficult to stop them - they did calm down as they grew up, but never stopped the slobbering.  We made a point of wiping  their mouths- very necessary, as we often noted 12 inch strings of saliva hanging from their mouths, and I have a photo to prove that !!

[/quote]

Brings back fond memories or our Boxer "Dillon" we had many years ago. Please don't post the pictures!!

No,   I won't post the photos- but the memories do linger.

The 'squelching' sound we heard when wiping their mouths has to be heard to be believed!    And, we used old towels etc - usually after they had ripped up something in good condition

Regards

Tegwini