Additional Dog

Fi

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice from any dog experts out there.

We have an elderly (we think 11ish) Springer Spaniel.  He has the usual old age problems - creaky joints, dogdy eyesight/hearing, memory of a lettuce etc.  We are his 4th set of owners - he originally trained as a gun dog in the UK but was deeply unhappy and bullied by other dogs in the kennels.  He then found his way to a flatmate of my husband, but she wanted a lapdog, not a smelly spaniel with a liking for smelly, black, sticky mud.  He was evicted by said flatmate's landlord and went to live with her parents where he had a nice life - unfortunately they had to let him go because of health problems |(theirs not his).  He has now been our lump in the carpet for around 6 years. 

We have now moved to the Vosges and we have a big house with a large terrain.  We are thinking of getting another dog (probably lab or retriever but any suggestions gratefully recieved) who we would like to train to become our autistic son's shadow (Alex is an escape artiste par excellence - we think a dog might help both him and us!).  How does one go about acquiring a dog in France - most previous dogs in my life have just turned up.

Do you (dog experts out there) think that Bryn's nose would be put severly out of joint if we introduced another dog.  He is the best behaved dog I have ever had any dealings with, he is very gentle, obedient (when his hearing is working) very loving (eternally grateful is how my husband puts it) and has many social graces. However he is a complete coward with other dogs - I have to protect him .....We were hoping that some of this (not the cowardice) might rub off on "new" dog, but the last thing we want to do is upset Bryn in any way.  There was also some talk of yet another dog for the other two children to make theirs, but this was after a bottle or two ...  And Bloke has a not so secret yearning for a Husky style dog - hmmmmm.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, I hope it makes some sense ..... So if there any brilliant ideas out there, I 'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Fi

We have a 13 year old Springer Spaniel x Jack Russell with all the same old age problems yours has, plus more, we lost his mate earlier this year she was about 13or14 not really sure because she was a rescue dog, anyhow we have introduced a new puppy into the house and he gets on very well with her, I really dont think it would have worked if it had been a boy, but I'm sure you will be told otherwise, however in my experience you will always have more problems with two males rather than a male and female.

Would have thought more people would have responded by now - but here's my twopence worth, inadequate though it may be!  The most important thing is to be sure your current dog doesn't feel threatened or bullied by the new dog, also that he doesn't feel ignored at the expense of the new dog (easy for children to forget old faithful in the excitement of a new friend.)  Have you thought of visiting your local refuge and taking dogs out for walks? - they are all pretty lively at first exposure to a walk, but you can usually quickly suss out one who is gentle enough to fit your bill, and then try to walk him together with your current dog etc etc.  Being gentle doesn't mean he/she can't be young and fit enough to have more exercise separately once established.  We have a large elderely wuss and had trouble finding a suitable companion for him.  In our case we took on another old dog, but that was our choice, not his.  They are both really happy together now.

Good luck in your searches anyway.

Chrissie (81)

I too would have thought more people would have responded. I am certainly no expert but if it were me, I would do exactly as Chrissie recommended. I have an eleven year old dog and if I were in a position to take on another he would have to be part of the decision making at his age. I would certainly take him on a walk with any dog I wanted to rescue to see how they got on. The rescue centres have many puppies and young dogs needing homes.

My dog gets on with some dogs but definitely has problems with others. But I think it could be because of his age and having arthritis. So I would have to have a real softie or oldie around and be certain my little dog wouldn't be bullied and was happy.

Bryn sounds such a lovely dog.[:)]

I also have a very old Cocker Spaniel lady who is almost blind, deaf and is certainly on her last legs now but she has seen off two Boxer dogs and we now have a very lively French resucue Labrador. Since we took her in at the age of two years old she has always been the boss and our Labrador knows his place and he adores her even though she has beome a very crotchety old thing. She has always been my dog and OH had the bigger Boxer dogs and now he is adored by the Labrador and follows him everywhere. I agree with the other posts, taking your beloved old dog with you to choose his new friend and to walk with them together and most dogs in refuge centres are initially very excitable but will soon quieten down if walked away from the kennels and it could mean more than one visit and walks to get to know the dog you may take.Good luck and chose well and wisely.

Can I just put in a note of caution about going for a 'Husky-type' dog if you want it to shadow your son...................Husky's are notoriously deaf to recall, and, in general have to be kept in a secure run/garden or on a lead at all times, or they are off - just thought I would mention it!

Chris

"Shadow dog" would be a lab/retriever type.  My husband would like a Husky, but it doesn't mean he's getting one .... Thanks for the info, more ammunition for me! 

And thanks to all other contributors - plenty of food for thought there.  Will let you know how we get on.

Bonne soiree

Fi

Fi - Don't rule out an Australian Shepherd as a shadow for your son. They are nicknamed "gluepots" as they are just that - very faithful and protective, fun and loving. We have two and they give us so much pleasure ! They are so nice natured, that I don't think your old boy would have any problems - he would probably feel a bit protective to a young dog.

Hello Fi

What a lovely idea for your son. We have worked with autistic children and young people with learning difficulties for many years. The "key" is very often found through interaction with dogs and horses among other animals. We use registered P.A.T. dogs (one on site) and our own horses to build self esteem and confidence. Ringcraft, obedience, dog walking get togethers are all things your son could join in with. One of our young people, after two years of continuity and support, won not just his relevent age class ; but the whole national achievement award at CRUFTS 08.  (Shaun Mc Alpine Award)  

Bryn will need a period of ajustment and understanding, but nothing is impossible. An older dog like Bryn would have the edge on a young dog coming into the household. Just dont disrupt his little routine or attention amount. We have a very old dog who as long as her "stuff" isnt messed with she accepts what ever passes through.  As for breed P.A.T. dogs come in all shapes and sizes but have to be temperment tested. Ours is a poodle. We have used Brittany's Lab's collies and a Papillon. Rescues included.

Good luck and very best wishes.

I have Aspberger a high funtioning autism and i breed dogs wich help me.Cocker spaniels are my type of dog.Despite my difficulties my parents help me  and i have become   a very good breeder and always register my puppies as the parents are health tested  and sell to good people.

Just really to echo what has already been said.  About 3 months ago we took in a 3 year old cocker spaniel as a playmate to our 6 year old german shepherd.  She was advertised on the Pet Welfare section of this forum.  We went to see her with Kal to see how they would get on and then her family brought her to our house to see how Kal would react to her on his own territory.  He was absolutely fine with her.  She is a very lively, faithful little dog - such a character, Kal adores her (as do we)  When she first came to live with us we did try to make sure that she felt welcome without Kal feeling pushed out by giving them both equal attention but giving it to Kal first.  We think this has worked out so well because Kal is male and Lexie female - we know from previous experience that Kal wouldn't accept another male.    

Anyway good luck with your search and I hope it works out really well for you 

Tracey                                                                                                                                                                       

We are now on our fifth dog. When our first female was ten we got a puppy female and that extended the life of our old girl to 14. Then when the next one reached 10 we got a rescue dog and did the tester walkies at the rescue kennels. They got on well after a fashion. Dear Rosie lived for a further four years. Our poor Taff was four then and started getting very depressed on his own and the vet suggested that we either get a puppy or he would have to put Taff on anti depressants. We were then offered a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy, last in the litter. She and Taff got on great but I think she was a bit boisterous for him and he was delighted when our son asked us to look after his Border Collie for a few months when he changed jobs. This took the pressure off Taff and the RR had a dog of her own age to play with. That was three years ago and we still have Curtis, the Border Collie!! So Della, the RR, is a happy bunny. Taff is also happy because he is left to his own devices and can join in the fun when he wants to. So a mixture of males and females does work sometimes. Incidentally the Rescue Centre recommended that we get a male when we wanted a companion for our female. Just give the existing dog a lot of extra cuddles and love. But I do have to say that three dogs is one too many. It can cause problems with hotels etc when we travel but IBIS hotels are great and don't even raise an eyebrow when we troupe through the foyer!

Suey

I had a mental picture of bedraggled humans preceded by several happy hounds proceeding through a hotel foyer.  It made me snigger - thanks! 

I really appreciate all the thoughts/advice.  I think we will wait until after Christmas and then look at getting a youngish female 'soppy' breed from the local rescue centre.  If you can bear it, I will post pics!

All best

Fi

It was the face of the young receptionist in Clermont Ferrand who said "You 'ave three small dogs?" to which we replied "Non", then proceeded to bring our three in. "Ah, you 'ave three big dogs"!!! Then just charged us for one!! Bargain.

Also, the night concierge at IBIS Millau when we emerged from the lift at 3 am last March. Our Ridgeback was on water tablets and desperate, he rushed to open the door and stood back as we dashed through. I didn't like to tell him that she would have licked him to death!

Suey