kitten

valB

I am thinking about getting kitten/cat after Xmas, cannot do before as we are going away this year. The problem I have is my Rescue Labrador as he goes beserk if he sees a cat. Would he be different if it was a member of our household or do you think he would attack it ? I would hate to adopt a furry friend and then  have to rehome it or even worse if Murphy injured it in any way.  I have never had a problem introducing rescue cats and dogs to each other over the years and maybe if it was a kitten he might feel protective toward it. He is very gentle with my old dog but can jump for the Olympics when he sees a cat walk across the garden.

If you choose a kitten you would probably be OK, as it would have no "learned" attitudes to dogs already. We have successfully introduced kittens to a dog who would quite happily chase any cats from the garden, the kitten being so curious really phased the dog! The dog still chases other cats, but does a double take first to check whether it's one of ours![blink]

Thanks Jo  That sounds quite hopeful then. I know our Labrador is desperate to play with our very old dog who unfortunately is almost deaf and blind and just wants to eat and sleep. I now have to convince OH that we may not have major problems by introducing a little one into the house.

Why and how would your dog know the cat was a member of the household? How would you live with yourself if one day you turned you back for an moment and there was carnage?

It's not a question of the cat having no learned responses to dogs (if anything that might be worse, as it wouldn't necessarily head for the nearest tree or high shelf fast enough) - the problem is the dog's response to cats.

You have a dog that doesn't like - correction, goes berserk at - cats. I think you just have to accept that, love the dog, and leave the cats for others.

I agree with Jo on this. Our dog is very possesive of our back garden and will chase any visiting cats on sight! (This is not something I encourge as I love cats!). However, two years ago we intoduced 2 kittens to our household and have had no problems. The dog still chases visiting cats and barks at them, but he curls up asleep with our own cats! Of course we didn't leave the kittens in with the dog on his own to begin with, and made sure at night they were shut in the bathroom and the dog in the kitchen, but they all soon got along really well. I would just say Val, that you know your dog's temperament and if he is easily trained or not. It is just a case of ensuring the dog knowns his place in the pack- below the cats! good luck Joy

Now I am confused. Our eldest son and his partner have an enormous German Shepherd dog and then they introduced a kitten, then another kitten and finally they have a puppy as well now. According to our son the very large dog accepted all the newcomers well. The large dog is quite aggresive outside the house but is like a lamb with the kittens and pup. I would never leave a kitten alone with any dog and our Lab is a very soft loving dog but maybe it is territorial with Ferral cats in our garden and  he has never been in close contact with them as they do not appear when he is outside, he just watches them through the window. He is the saame when he sees a dog go passed our house but he is wagging his tail all the time. Iwill now have to give this a lot more thought.

Both responses are correct in fact.  Your dog will learn to accept a cat or kitten and you could say that an older cat used to dogs would be a better bet.  But be very careful not to leave them alone together at first and to watch your dog for any signs of agression.  Make sure that you have an outlet for the cat should it not work out - i.e. when we rehome cats and kittens you have to sign a contract which works both ways and if things don't work out, we will always accept the cat back into our adoption centre.

It really depends on your dog's attitude  We also have a labrador who enjoys all of our 7 cats but if she sees a 'stranger' in the garden, she will bark etc, but she will never do harm.

Please give us a call if you'd like to chat further

Lynn

Having just caught up with this post I would agree that your dog will get to know the difference between 'one of the gang' and a stranger. We have two labradors, one of them a rescue and he is not at all happy with interloper cats in the garden, but quite happy with our cats, and the kittens they have produced, because they were introduced to him as members of the household. As you know labs have the most gentle of natures and I'm sure your dog would accept a cat if introduced to him gently and he sees that you want it in the house.

I was quite impressed with Murphy yesterday as a cat was strolling across our garden and he started jumping so I shouted " LEAVE" and he sat down and just looked. I kept repeating the word and he settled down and just watched the cat dissapear into the orchard next door. How good was that !!!