cost of dog treatment on return to UK

Meduse

Hi There

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of getting the tick/tapeworm treatment for my dog on the return to uk?

Also does the treatment have to be carried out between 24 - 48 hours of return? So I havwe to wait for 24 hours after treatment before I can board the ferry?

Thanks

Meduse

About 30€ chez moi, but depends upon the vet.  Yes, has to be no less than 24 but fewer than 48 hours before boarding so you really do have to wait, or get the treatment done on the journey back to the port, depending upon how long that takes, or before you set off.  Why not figure out where you'll be the day before and try to find a vet' there?  It's likely that somebody on the forum would recommend a decent vet in the right place.

It costs us between 65 to75 euro for our 2 goldens- it seems to depend on which vet at our local practise sees them!

We time the ferry so that we see the vet at the 2pm drop in surgery,then drive to the port the next day. The earliest ferry we could use would be 3pm the following day and the latest 3pm on the day after that.

Do work out your timings carefully, an hour over or under the deadline time and you will either have to wait for the next crossing, or if you are over the 48 hrs, get another treatment and wait another 24 hours. For eample, I wanted to book an overnight crossing to return to the uk on a Monday night- impossible as the dogs would have had to be treated between 11pm saturday and 11 pm sunday, when the vets are closed. We travelled on tuesday instead and went to the vets on monday.

Also, make sure the vet has signed, dated and stamped both the tick and flea sections of the passport- better to double check than to get to the port and panic!

That being said, we travel regulaly with our 2 and no problems so far.