A Sad Day

dragonrouge

Today this so-called hard headed lawyer and a son of a late Rhondda Valley miner who was also tough but in an entirely differing way to his son has to say goodbye to the last in the line of Bassets and stretching over many decades.

I adore my Basset and today he and I are going to take the last journey today and folks I am finding this so very hard to get through and my life will never be the same again.

This posting is not made for sympathy compassion or understanding none of those but simply help as this site has  always been able to do!

Some time ago someone very kindly posted a poem here in respect of our animal friends and thus if someone could point me in the direction then I would be so grateful and I would like the poem to go today with Jean-Claude on his last journey.

This is so very tough for me.

Dragonrouge. This day is the pits for every dog owner. Best wishes to you and your friend. Courage to you. x

This is the poem, posted by Fiona, on page 2 of the where to have a dog put down thread:

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I understand

Don’t let this grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than all the rest

Your Love and Friendship stands the test.

We’ve had so many happy years

What is to come can hold no fears,

Would you want me to suffer so?

When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they’ll tend

Only, stay with me to the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

It is a kindness that you do to me.

Although my tail its’ last has waved,

From pain and suffering, I’ve been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do,

We’ve been so close we two these years

Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

So sorry.  We all know the day will come when we first let our pets into our lives. But that never makes it any easier when the time eventually comes.  Although it will now seem unlikely,  there will be a time when you are able once more to remember fondly all the good times you have shared. 

Out there are some lovely caring individuals and your support is helping me get through all of this.  As I type this Jean Claude is sat by my feet I am not sure I can do this but I owe it to him.

with my sincere thanks for all of your help

I will not forget this time and your support

Jean-Claude has depended on you for everything, and now for the decision to relieve him of his suffering. But so hard for you to make that decision. You are doing what is best for him.

As you say, such a sad day.

You will never ever know how much my wife truly appreciate your kind words and thoughts it has been such a help.  I am now composing myself for we have to sort out a few things.

I will never ever meet you but I truly believe that out there we have friends and with that final thought I include Jean Claude.

with our very best wishes

Ken

My thoughts are with you as we had to do the same thing two weeks ago. It is so sad but your little man will always be with you in your memories. Time is a great healer so they say but is does not seem like it at the moment but it will get better for you.

Wishing you strength for what will be a very emotional time.

If you will be with Jean Claude at the time, with the vet, try to remain as 'cheery' and calm as you can be.  Have his last memory be of his beloved friend talking to him and stroking him as if it was any other day and nothing at all is amiss. 

You will have lots of wonderful memories of you friend.  You've shared life, fun, walks, laughs and silliness with Jean Claude - I hope soon you will be able to think of those times with a smile rather than a tear.

Best wishes x

It really hurts, our dog Toby (avatar picture) was put to sleep last spring. We (me, wife, and children 9 and 11) went to the vets to see what the prognosis on Toby was. Our vet said he had to operate and was kind enough to let us walk him in to the operating room. I picked him up and placed him on the operating table, and we all talked and stroked him as the vet placed him under an anaesthetic. We sat in the waiting room waiting for news, but we knew it wasn't a good sign to see the vet appear with tears in his eyes. We made the decision to let him go to save suffering, and I will never forget the children's pain, and our efforts to try and hold back our emmotions in front of the children. Toby is missed, but remembered with great fondness and affection, I am sure Jean-Claude will be the same.

Stay strong....

I am here but Jean Claude is not and he died in my arms earlier this afternoon.  I was with him all of the time kissing him hugging him as best one can with a huge basset hound.  But before he went the vet said that his heart was very weak and he was suffering.  That made it easier.  He will come back to us shortly and will be put in the garden and facing the sun. He was somewhat lazy as bassets normally are but sunshine was his thing and when in his youth his colour said everything. With that good people I close this episode and once more thank you for all of your kindnesses.

Don't be frightened to let it out. I'm 6ft 3in 20stone of ex policeman and I broke my heart when our old cats had to be put to sleep. They were both good friends and it was the kindest thing for them if not for us. My old cat was a great hunter and we used to always watch him stalking in the fields at the back of our house, when the light is right I still see him there. You gave Jean Claude the greatest gift - love- and at the end respect and peace. Our thoughts are with you, lift a glass to his memory and try to remember the great times you had.  

I am so sorry and my heart breaks for you Dragonrouge. Jean Claude was very lucky that you cared for him so much that you put him before yourself today. As others have said, I hope you will only remember the good times and the good life you gave him soon.

Our thoughts are with you at this very sad time dragonrouge,

I have been working so hard of late that things have become a little blinkered this has reminded me that there are more important things in life, 

it has reminded me of our little meg who was put to sleep in december you will always miss them but know that they are not hurting any more.

Judith

For you both and Jean Claude.

THE COURAGE OF MY CONVICTIONS

This other being
so different, distinct,
so intimate - he is
'my dog' !
And in the fog
of awareness he is my longing,
my light,
he is my saving grace,
he is the joy from which
the other joys progress.

Humans don't say how they feel -
does this mean they don't feel
or don't know how to feel
or don't know how to put words to
how they feel ?
Dogs show how they feel
but few humans bother to notice.

Even though they live in the moment,
even in leaping and bounding joy
they display the inconsolable sadness of being.

What I love about dogs (apart from their loveliness
companionablility, amazing tolerance)
is their Theory of Mind.
With every human I am more or less guarded,
but with 'my dog' I can be
my silly self.
In the world of humanity
I am the Owner of Jean Claude-
this other,
this humble, enthusiastic, transparent
superior being.
But in the real world
the world of awareness
he is a Master of Life.

Now the Lord of Truth (my vassal !)
the Terror of Lawnmowers,
the puller of yardbrushes, comes
in his smiling humility to tell me
how much he enjoyed the pear-skins
and rather old hummous
he had for his dinner.

When I am Old...

I shall wear Turquoise and soft gray sweatshirts...

and a bandana over my silver hair....

and I shall spend my Social Security Checks on

Sweet Wine and My Dogs....

and sit in my house on my well-worn chair

and listen to my dog's breathing

I will sneak out in the middle of a warm Summer night

and take my dogs for a run, if my old bones will allow...

and when people come to call,

I will smile and nod as I show them my dogs...

and talk of them and about them...

The Ones so Beloved of the Past

and the Ones so Beloved of Today...

I still will work hard cleaning after them

and mopping and feeding them

and whispering their names in a soft, loving way.

I will wear the gleaming sweat on my throat, like a jewel

and I will be an embarrassment to all...

and my family...

who have not yet found the peace

in being free to have dogs as your Best Friends...

These friends who always wait, at any hour, for your footfall...

and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound sleep,

to greet you as if you are a God.

With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope that you will stay

and their big, strong necks...

and kiss their dear sweet heads...

and whisper to their very special company...

I look in the Mirror...

and see I am getting old....

this is the kind of woman I am...

and have always been.

Loving dogs is easy,

they are part of me,

accept me for who I am,

my dogs appreciate my presence in their lives..

when I am old this will be important to me...

you will understand when you are old...

and if you have dogs to love too.

-Author Unknown