Is My Kitten Sick?

Fi

New kitten (8 weeks) arrived from our farmer neighbour last Friday.  Poor little thing has had diarrhoea for the last couple of days.  Still eating like a horse (or is that a kitten?) and bouncing around as only a kitten can.  Is it necessary to go to the vet, or shall we give him another few days.  He is having 4 small meals a day of whiskas kitten food, have banned milk, and water.  Is there anything else I can do?

Someone please advise.  Patrick is part of the family already, so would hate anything really bad to happen!

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]He is having 4 small meals a day of whiskas kitten food, have banned milk, and water. [/quote]

What was the farmer feeding him? Or was the kitten just being fed by his mum? This might affect the situation. Often small kittens can be allergic to cow's milk so it should definitely be a no no. IMO he does need water plus the wet food. He might just need a few days to adapt to the change in (his) lifestyle and his new diet. But, if the diarrhoea does continue then he should be seen by a vet sooner rather than later - him being so very small and all.

Good luck.

Sue

Sorry, a comma missing, he gets no milk, but he always has a bowl of water available.  I was told he was eating "pate" (not foie gras I hope!) and he knows how to use a litter tray.  I think his "grandmother" is a big cat softy, so he didn't have the expected farm upbringing.    But I did see him eating grass earlier today.  I haven't had a young kitten since I was at school.  I can do dogs though (which isn't terribly helpful I know). 

Not sure what do to do.  Knowing my luck he'll get sick around 6pm on Saturday (this being France, not a good time!).

F

Has he had his first injections yet? Away from his mum he no longer has the protection of mother's milk. Injections for potentially lethal cat diseases are necessary at eight and twelve weeks of age. I would call your vet soonest to arrange and to sort out the diarrhoea as a matter of some urgency, they can go down hill fast. Worming and de-flea-ing are an ongoing reality for kittens and cats once they are out and about in the outdoor world.....................................................JR

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Injections for potentially lethal cat diseases are necessary at eight and twelve weeks of age. [/quote]

But only at an early age if the kitten is in good health - the innoculations themselves could be potentially lethal if the kitten is already ill.

Sue

Off we go to the vet then. Hopefully a dose of worms which is easily dealt with. In the past,  I have lost 2 cats to which was known a "Cat Aids" at the time, so I am slightly paranoid about minor symptoms turning into something nasty.  And he is very, very cute.  May post a pic when we get over this.

Thanks for all advice and support.

Fi

Hi Fi sue is right and diarrhoea can have many causes, dietary changes,  intestinal parasites, infection, stress and inflammatory bowel disease. Dehydration is quite a risk and they can go downhill very fast. Your vet should do a thorough examination before giving him his shots. Hope all goes well and do let us know how he gets on.........JR 

Have just got back from the vet.  She thinks he has a bellyful of worms (poor lamb).  Have just squeezed some noxious substance down his throat and we are waiting for the results [+o(].  If he still has the squits after this, we have some anti-diarrhea tablets which will mean he has to fast for 48 hours - he will be one unhappy puss after that.

It's a waiting game.

Many thanks for all the kind thoughts.  Will keep you posted.

Fi

Hear hear and hope the little chap goes on well, keep us posted as it helps to underline the need to take care of our little friends. We have had six cats over the years, four and two, and most have lived to a good ripe old age. Ben, our only cat now, is pushing seventeen and despite kidney problems still charges around like a kitten from time to time................JR

Hope all goes well with your new baby, I'm sure she will be fine now that the vet has given her the required yukky stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a cat or kitten as my house is due to complete very soon and I miss my old girl who died last year in France at the ripe old age of 21.  I then had the cat that adopted me  a couple of months back and then came her kitttens, sadly I couldn't bring any back to the UK as they were not passported of course but made sure they were neutuered and all found good homes.  I feel it's my turn to do the same for a new moggy(or ies).

I adore cats and can't wait for my trip to France in a couple of weeks to visit the mum who adopted me who now lives with my friend, I do hope she recognises me....[:)]

Do put a pic up F1

The invalid has recovered (much rejoicing here!).  The worming treatment worked - I did feel a little sorry for Patrick when I heard all the nastiness being expelled (no more detail, you could be enjoying a very late dinner).  He is now acting like a proper kitten!  Here are a couple of pics for your delectation:

[IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/FNSH/IMG_0308.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/FNSH/IMG_0311.jpg[/IMG]

Many thanks for all the help and support.  Positive thinking always helps.

Fi

Good news! He's as cute as a button.

There's something about the energy of a new life...

Enjoy having your curtains shredded, they grow up so fast. [;-)]  I can see from the top photo that he's already got that 'butter wouldn't melt' look off to a fine art. [:)]

Here's one for the cat experts.  When I took young Patrick to the surgery last week, I asked when he should be "innoculer" against all those nasty cat diseases.  Got a look of complete surprise from the nurse (vet having gone off to deal with a St Bernard with "boy trouble") and was told not to worry unless he was going to a pension.  surely shome mishtake?  Having lost 2 cats to "cat aids" which was truly hideous to witness, I want to protect the hooligan, even if it does cost a paw and a whisker.  Perhaps I should just make an appointment for next week (he'll be 10 weeks then) and insist politely but forcefully.  I can scare for Britain when necessary [:)]

Fi

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

The usual cat vaccinations here are coryza/typhus.  But in case you don't know the name Fi, the cat aids is Leucose féline and there is a vaccin.

[/quote]

And he should have it now-ish?