..........and another Pet's Passport question

Megan le Fey

We got Val's blood test done beginning of September and had a good  positive result through a couple of weeks ago.  The vet duly completed the passport and gave me a copy of the certificate for the rabies serology report from the laboratory.  It was just today when I was clearing up some filing that I actually looked at the report which has some incorrect info. on it.   Most of the details are correct except that he is a GSD but is listed as a Golden Retriever and his 2001 birthdate is listed as 1997.  I have had a good look at the serology page of the passport and it and all other entries  seem to be correct but now I am worried at the breed description on the report as he is clearly not a Golden Retriever .  I have only ever once taken a dog through the tunnel and as I had stapled the report into the passport, I don't know whether or not the customs people needed to see the certificate.  On the passport itself, he is described correctly as a Berger Allemand.  Has anyone ever been asked for a copy of the actual certificate from the laboratory or are the customs people normally satisfied with the passport page, signed and stamped by the vet? 

I would ask the vet about it but when he took the blood, he was on the phone to the laboratory for instructions, I think that it is the first time he has had to do a passport for entry into UK so I don't think he would be much help.

Hi

The vets here know diddley squat about what happens at Calais or other ports of entry to UK - they're not interested.  I have been through with four dogs of differing breeds and to be honest the Laboratory papers were not looked at - so long as the actual Passport states clearly all the correct details about colour and breed it's normally the only thing they are interested in. HOWEVER..... I would leave nothing to chance as it's quite possible they will go through other papers should they feel like it and if there is no time constraint on your needing the documents, then I would definately go back to your vet and show him the mistake and ask him to return the documents for correction stating that it will cause problems at Calaise etc.  I would be inclined to indicate that you need it done asap - remember to take a copy of the document first before handing it over!

Thanks everyone,  as I had suspected, the passport is what really counts, however, just to be on the safe side, I was passing the vets yesterday so popped in with the offending certificate.  They were both apologetic and helpful and immediately 'phoned the laboratory and gave details of the errors.  The lab. told them to send the certificate to them and that they will replace it with no problems so, theoretically at least, it should be sorted.[:D]

Hello

Having done the trip with dogs recently I can say the port did check the lab report, they unfolded everything and were really thorough so best get it changed to be safe. They also looked at the old certificates of vacination against the passport.

I find that incredible. The whole purpose of the Pet Passport scheme was to simplify and regulate the movement of pets across EU borders.

I have lost count of the number of times I have travelled with Charley, and not once have I been asked for anything except his passport. Indeed, I have never carried any other papers.

Can you tell us who asked to see the serology report etc.?

I repeat my posting.......... you never know!  If they DO decide to check other papers, why risk it?  When my son took his cats through six months ago they went through ALL the papers with a fine tooth combe and found some miniscule date descrepancy/stamp missing on paperwork that had been issued in the US some nine months earlier!!  It was totally irrelevant.  They had to chase all round the local vets in Calais till they found one open who could stick a stamp on the piece of paper that actually had nothing to do with the Passport..... which was all in order!  This happened at the entry to the Tunnel and they lost a whole six hours and their tunnel booking.  It just takes one difficult 'so and so' who may be having a bad day to cause you all sorts of problems.  I wouldn't leave anything to chance.

Well, I do know. The Pet Passport is the only document that is accepted for the movement of EU pets throughout the EU.

EU pet passport

Dogs, cats and ferrets meeting the necessary requirements may move between EU Member States if they are accompanied by an EU pet passport. All Member States recognise this document. You can view and print the passport from the European Union website (PDF). Certain non-EU listed countries may also issue a passport. Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are doing so.

The passport is accepted for entry to the UK from other Member States and from other qualifying countries.

I have pasted above the relevant details relating to the movement of pets in the EU, and particularly, to the UK. As I have stated before, no other document is acceptable, or needed.

You stated that your son's pets had documents from the US. This puts a different slant on things. If he had a properly issued Pets Passport then there was no need for any other documentation.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Robbie34"] You stated that your son's pets had documents from the US. This puts a different slant on things. If he had a properly issued Pets Passport then there was no need for any other documentation.[/quote]

Well, the vet 'phoned this morning to say that the serology report had now been replaced by the laboratory with all the erroneous items corrected and that I could come in and collect it. I had feared that bureaucracy would kick in and require yet another blood test.  I am sure that Val will be relieved to know that he is once more a GSD and not a Golden Retriever (not that they aren't gorgeous as well[:D]).  I now doubt that there would have been a problem but as Allycat has said, better to be sure, especially as all of Val's original documents are also from the US.  Now we just have the six months wait - well, four & a bit now - and he will be safe to come with us if and when we go to UK.