Pet passport

tawny owl

Our vet in Carcassonne asked to see a copy of the blood test (the one that proves the dog has rabies antibodies) - we didn't have it with us as our vet in England had kept it.  The vet suggested we bring it with us next time we visit France, so I obtained a photo copy and now keep it with the Pet Passport.  The vet used our own Advantix which we had brought with us and so we had only to pay for the worming and the consultation.

I agree with the other posters about visiting your local vet and establishing a relationship with them.

Hi , our vet has given us frountline but I notice on some of the posts Advantix. Is this better and is it better to buy it in England . Our vet charges £50 for both dogs. We were going to use frontline before we left, but maybe we shopuld use Advantix instead?

As we are traveling up from the Lot any places to stay over with the dogs would be great. Thanks

Good luck - as my previous post in this thread, has anyone used Brittany Ferries Caen-Portsmouth route with their dog.

We had no problems coming over but have just had the usual email from Brittany Ferries - on reading the Pet Passport section is state muzzles are compulsory on all routes. Does this mean we've got to buy one?? Comments appreciated

We have travelled on Brittany Ferries with our dog numerous times over the past 5 years, usually from Portsmouth or Poole to Cherbourg, and a couple of times to Caen. We have never put a muzzle on our dog, or been told to do so. But I have just looked on the BF website, and was surprised to read that dogs should be muzzled. I don't know if this is a new thing, or has always said that, but everyone ignores it!

How can you leave a dog in a car for several hours, with a muzzle on??

• 1 month later...
Hi back at last and everything went very well! Cant thank enough the support on the site. I printed various tips and information out so as not to forget. Thankfully the dogs had no ticks ect and The French vet used the treatment files I had been given by our own vet.

The tunnel was so quick & easy. No stress at all. Our biggest challenge was the drive down France to our property in the Lot.

We were thinking of maybe trying a ferry next time . I would be interested in peoples views and experiences and what happens to the dogs on ferries? Thanks again...