Pet passport

tawny owl

Hi,

As long as you have all the current stipulations in place, ie valid rabies jab (6 months since validation), usual dog innoculations, micro-chipped, flea and tic treatment from your french vet (no less than 24 and no more than 48 hours before travelling) and your pet passport all stamped by the vet before you travel there should be no problems.

We travel regularly with the dog on the ferries and euro-tunnel and have had no problems whatsoever.

If you need any more info have a look at the Defra web-site Re; pet passport scheme they have all the details on there.

Safe journey.

Mel.

Thanks . We have just been to the vet today for their booster so we believe everything in order. Our property is in the LOt and after reading some posts on the site concerned about ticks. Does it mean you have to keep the dogs on the lead all the time? There are fields near our property. Also concerning going home do you find a vet in the port or before you travel? Thanks, we will be better once we have been through it all.

Hi,

Glad you are sorted out with the vet.

Regarding the Tic situation, we are in the same boat, (as I suspect everyone else is that lives in a rural or semi-rural situation).

We let our dog off the lead in the area's around us and have had little problems with Tics, we use Frontline on a regular basis.

We are vigilant when we get home and pick off any Tics before they get hold just by brushing him down outside (and drowning them in a cup of water !!)

If we do find any that are embedded we use the O'TOM Tic remover (bought from the local pet store.) It works really well.

We choose to get our local vet (in the Limousin) to do the Tic and Flea treatment before we travel to Boulogne and tie it in with our ferry travel plans, it's just a matter of geting the timing right so that you are in the 24-48 hour rules.

Hope that's useful.

Bon Voyage.

Mel.

Hi Tawny

Have you read the FAQs at the top of this section (sorry if I am asking the obvious)? It's just that you sound a bit vague about the procedures, and preparing to take your pet over (or rather, bring it back to the UK) needs a fair bit of preparation and, especially since you are quite a long way from Calais, timing and organization in terms of when and where to visit a vet prior to your return to the UK.

You mention 'boosters' - do you mean the rabies one for the pet passport? That is the crucial thing in terms of bring a pet into the UK, along with the French vet treatment.

As others have mentioned, you have to visit a French vet for the necessary anti-flea/tick etc treatment between 48 and 24 hours before you check in (NB check-in, not crossing time) at the Tunnel. This is crucial and you will not be able to bring your dog into the UK if you are outside that 24-hour 'window' in either direction. So you can't nip into a vet in Calais and then bowl directly along to the Tunnel. Believe me, I have stood behind people in the pet check-in office who have blown their timing and this rule is strictly enforced. You may need to find a vet en route in order to achieve this, and that will almost certainly involve an overnight stay. Plus research into opening times.

NB DO check that the vet has filled in the date and time correctly in the passport. It must be within that crucial 24-hour period. If they make a mistake you are again stuffed. Cost for my small cat is about 30 euros. The two treatments are both drops to the back of the neck, no pills or jabs these days.

Having said all this, the pet check-in process at the French terminal (there is no check-in when leaving the UK) is usually very quick and efficient - as you approach the main check-in booths you are signposted off to the right to the pet check-in. You take your pet into the office there along with its passport and your booking details (you'll need to give your car registration number too). They (or you) scan the microchip, and the passport details are thoroughly checked. Then you are all sorted and off to the main check-in.

I am so thankfull for your really practical advice /replies but am still a little unsure about the timing . We thought going to a vet in the port would be fine but from what has been said this is not so. How long before you go to be checked does the vets appointment have to be? In the past (9 years ago before dogs)we have had to stop overnight 1/2 way up. Thanks again

[quote user="tawny owl"]I am so thankfull for your really practical advice /replies but am still a little unsure about the timing . [/quote]

Please do heed the very wise words of Fay I reproduce here:

<<NB DO check that the vet has filled in the date and time correctly in

the passport. It must be within that crucial 24-hour period. If they

make a mistake you are again stuffed. Cost for my small cat is about 30

euros. The two treatments are both drops to the back of the neck, no

pills or jabs these days.

>>

Apologies to Fay if I have overstepped the mark; but, as she says, the timing of the return vet visit is crucial and cannot be over emphasised.

**crucial: within the period 24 to 48 hours of your return crossing check-in.

Sue

Hi Tawny

Glad to be of help.

Let's say you are checking your dogs in at noon on a Sunday (you might be crossing at 1pm, 2pm, it doesn't matter. The time you check you pets in is the crucial thing).

LATEST time you can have your dogs treated and their passports dated and timed is noon on Saturday (you need a clear 24 hours between treatment and pet check-in).

EARLIEST time you can do this is noon on Friday (but that would be cutting it fine in case you were delayed en route).

BEST TIME you could do it to give yourself flexibility on both ways would be sometime on Friday afternoon or evening, or possibly earlyish Saturday morning.

This means you have to find a vet in the right place, with the right opening times.

I'm a bit spoiled because I'm only an hour or so down the coast from the Tunnel, and my vet opens at 5pm on a Friday and I make sure to be first in the queue. And also, because of where we are, they get quite a few Pet Passports through the surgery, so they know the drill (not sure if this last bit applies country-wide, others can advise).

Allow plenty of time for the vet visit, if mine are anything to go by (hence being first in queue). Well, that's the same in the UK.

PS Sue, that's fine, lovely to be credited with wise words! It's true, that 24 hour window is crucial.

Thanks for your excellent information! Further to it can anyone recomend somewhere we can stay overnight. We will be traveling from near Souillac, in the Lot to the port/Tunnel to get the 6 o clock crossing. Hopfully then we can find a vet there and book ahead. We are not traveling back till the 22nd Oct as we need to spend some time cleaning and painting! Big thanks...

Further to it can anyone recomend somewhere we can stay overnight. We will be traveling from near Souillac, in the Lot to the port/Tunnel to get the 6 o clock crossing.

We have often stayed overnight at Campanile hotels when travelling through France (with our dog, a Springer too!).  They are all over France - you can see where they are on the website and can book online.     http://www.campanile.fr

Room with private bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities, restaurant.

Bernice

Hi Tawney owl,

For fear of going over what others have said are you sure you've got to grips with the importance of the 24-48 hour rules ??

Don't forget that you will have to have the dogs tic and flea treatment and the passport completed by the vet 24 hours before you travel so if you are relying on a port vet then you will have to have an appointment before 5am the previous day (thats presuming you will have to be checked in at the port by 5am on your day of travel) timing could be an issue !!!

i'm a bit worried that you may have missed the "timing point" that many have made.

Please forgive me if I'm going on a bit but I'd hate you to miss the crossing because of the dogs passport not being correct.

best wishes Mel.

I just looked at your route - 500 miles, about 7.5 hours. Say 9 hours with ample rest stops. Are you planning to drive in one go? Is your tunnel crossing 6am or 6pm?

If 6pm (checking in 4.30 latest, ideally), and you were to set out very first thing that morning you wouldn't need an overnight stop, you could visit a vet near you on the morning of the day before you leave, which would be within the 24-hour window.

If 6am - no, I'm assuming you do mean 6pm.

Hi, we were thinking of 6pm, so if I have at last figured this .. we would need to see a vet the day before by 5.00 at the latest if we hoped to book in around 5, if it was earlier it would not matter. As my husband is diabetic it would not be the best to try and drive all the way also we would need breaks for the dogs. If I am right we could see a vet before we leave in the morning drive halfway , stay overnight , then drive to the port for 4/5ish am I right? please say yes...

After all the help I and I suspect others have had why is it so confusing . After reading leaflet again I notice it suggests you find a vet at the port. No one would want to go to the port 24hours before boarding, also the way they word it is very confusing. I suggest some of the people on this site should give them some help!

Now what is this form showing proof of where you live and where do you get it? Any help please?

Tawny, I imagine the people who wrote the leaflet know the procedures but not the practicalities. It won't have occurred to them that hanging around at Calais for 24 hours might be a pain in real life, for real people, and real pets.

I'm not sure why you are fretting about it. You have real people on here, with real pets, who have done this procedure so many times (25 in the case of me and the cat) that it's second nature.

As to the form you mention, I've never heard of it, never been asked for it. On the Pet Passports it has your home address. Many people who take their pets over don't have a French address, so it can't mean a French address.

It would probably be easiest if you phone them up or send them an email to ask.

Hi,

Same here tawney owl. Done the trip tons of times, never heard of the "address form", for fear of repeating what Fay has said.................take a breather, relax and just follow the advice.

In your previous post you have it all figured out. Go to your local vet, travel as you have planned with the pet passport and you should have no problems.

If you are still concerned get back to us but you should be fine with the correct advice you've been given.

Best wishes, Mel.

We have a spaniel and have travelled many times down to Lot and Dordogne in one hit. crossing with Shuttle. When using ferries we use small chambre d'hotes and have found that most welcome dogs, in fact they absolutely spoil them. We stop every 3/4 hours when travelling, have a coffee and give her a good run and excercise with ball. We usually stop at the aires as we find they are quieter and have more room for dog to run around.

As to the passport its quite straight forward and visit the vets near where we stay for tick and worming treatment rather then mess about at Calais. As long as treatment is done 24 - 48 hours of crossing you are OK.

Just make sure that you check the time and date on your passport is correct after visiting vet

Have also found DAP spray is good for our dog as she gets a little agitated on train with noise

The only thing that customs need is your Pets Passport and crossing details. Please do not worrry as has already been said its quite a quick and straight forward procedure and its fantastic having your dog with you on holiday.

And the advantage of going to your local vet is that your pets are 'on the books' there, you build a relationship with that practice, and it makes things all the easier if (and I hope it doesn't happen, but it has for me, or rather, my cat) there is a health issue while you are there.