FAQ - Answer from DEFRA: Is this a joke??

Bones

After being pointed in the right direction by Ian in a separate thread, I decided to contact DEFRA re: Pet Passport.

Our dog, Lola, left the UK last August after having her rabies shot in July 2004. The stamp in the passport states that the vaccination is valid until 2007.

I had planned on going back to the UK for a couple of weeks next month and to make that possible I would have to take Lola along. However, DEFRA have informed me that under French law all dogs staying in France for longer than three months must have a rabies shot annually.

The annual rabies shot must be followed up by a blood test which is then sent off to an EU lab for testing, if all is well the dog can then travel to the UK. Being as it is that Lola is effectively due for an annual rabies jab at the end of this month I had figured that this unusual situation might not turn out to be such a big problem....until I realised that the dog is forbidden to reenter the UK for no less than six months after having a successful test result.

This is nuts. What's the point in validating a vaccination for three years in the UK (don't forget this is stated in a passport - for travel purposes!) only to have the 'valid to' period made void when you actually leave the UK??

I can't wait to find out the reason for the six month wait either, think about it: according to DEFRA it's all down to French law - but I'm not attempting to enter France, I'm leaving it, so surely the country I'm entering should be more concerned about whether Lola is vaccinated and, according to the UK regulations, she is covered. So perhaps the French don't recognise a rabies vaccination as being absolutely valid until six months after the actual jab - in which case shouldn't every dog in France spend six months of the year in quarantine, so as to ensure they don't go off infecting each other? Also, shouldn't Lola therefore have had to wait for six months after having her UK jab before entering France? Or perhaps it takes the lab six months to post the results, which - considering it's the EU, would be the most likely reason in this most unlikely of farces.

I'll go out on a limb and postulate that the six month period was a stipulation made by the UK when the EU got together and decided to scrap the six month UK quarantine regulation for dogs entering Britain. Or perhaps that's just an ill informed opinion. Either way I'm stuffed, and confused.

One last point: Perhaps there is more chance of your dog catching rabies in France and maybe the vaccination loses it's effectiveness after a few infections - hence the annual rabies jab over here. But French law (according to DEFRA it's all down to the French...) allows dogs to enter France for up to three months without being subject to an annual jab, thus the three year 'valid to' date in your UK pet passport would indeed remain valid for that period.... what happens then if the dog is infected whilst in France for just a weekend and then reenters France from the UK the very next weekend, and so on? It's entirely possible! Okay I'm conflating my arguments (and losing it somewhat) but if there are any vet's out there who can provide a sound scientific reason for any the above - I'd be delighted to hear from you! 

For all I couldn't quite remember everything you have stated Bones, all you have said has jogged my memory and others have gone through this before.

If you were simply holidaying in France for say a month it would have been OK. The problem occurs when the animal becomes a french resident. It is then treat like any french animal and has to start the procedure as any french animal would.

Whether people have managed to get around this I don't know. But it is what I had understood to be the case from the beginning.

I know that you mentioned french law. I have a feeling this was part and parcel of the initial agreement made between the countries involved prior to doing away with quarantine that any animal entering the UK from an EU country would have gone through these stringent controls.

Once your animal has been through the mill and had the blood test etc, as long as you get the next anti rabies jab done before the next due date then there are no more blood tests to be done. If you don't then the procedure with it's 'waits' starts again.

And you did the right thing to contact DEFRA. Their reply should be posted as a FAQ at the top of the home page on here.

Just been down this merry route. My french vet does not understand the reason for the six month wait after a good blood test result.  If the dog has enough antibodies then surely that is sufficient he said.  I explained, err no.

Well you could always ask your french vet if there is another way !

Deby

Well thanks for your replies.

I know I included far too many opinions and queries for just one post - but even having sat on the reply for a week I can't seem to assimilate the madness!

First reply echoed what I have inferred from the six month wait shenanigans: that the Brits (probably) successfully lobbied for the six month wait - in my opinion more out of spite and stubbourness than anything else..."Everything to lose/nothing to gain - left with what we came with".

The second post answered my wishes and offered the opinion of a French vet: he/she thinks it's all a load of B.S. and I'm happy to have that confirmed.

According to teamedup I'll only have to sort out the first six month wait and after that it shouldn't be a problem. Nice to hear, was worrying that I could only visit the UK twice a year at predetermined times!! 

Cheers very much.  

It was suggested that the following be attached to the FAQ - but there isn't one for pets, so here it is.

**Note the reference to 'National law in France'...no mention of Britain's murky hand in this, so I've replied with a query regarding the six month wait: I bet it's down to the UK. I've also received a PM to ask if this law pertains also to cats - according to this reply it does.

As your dog entered France last August your dog will now be subject to
annual rabies vaccinations as this is a National law in France which
applies to cats and dogs that have spent more than three months at any
one time in France.

If a year has passed or is about to pass since your dog was last
vaccinated for rabies your dog will need a rabies booster and then a
blood test.  The blood sample must be sent to an EU Recognised Blood
Testing Laboratory for testing and your dog cannot enter the UK until
six months from the date the blood was drawn which lead to a successful
result.

Your dog will then need to be treated for ticks and tapeworms between 24
and 48 hours before checking in to depart to the UK on an approved route
with an approved carrier.

You are not required to carry any information with you on entering the
UK regarding any other vaccinations your dog has received other than for
rabies.

You only have this six month thing to do once, believe me you do. The date of the test gets marked in the passport, as does the date when the next vaccination is due and as long as your respect this date, then you are fine.

Prior to these new passports the date of the blood test would be marked on the forms and not only the date of the blood test, but where it was carried out.

Our dogs blood test was done at the end of August 2001. We haven't needed to restart the whole process since. We must have been back with her about 7 or 8  times since 2002.

And this six month thing. This must have been an international agreement, that must have made sense to the bloody politicians or functionaires who decided it at the time.  And I for one was happy enough that they came to some agreement, even though there was the six month  delay initially. Meant we could travel with our dog.

The 6 month wait after the blood sample that shows adequate antibodies was taken is because the incubation period for rabies is reckoned to be 6 months. Thus, in theory it is possible that your dog may have rabies and yet be fighting the disease (as it has adequate antibodies), yet could still pass the disease on. This is the theory – though in practice I believe it is a pretty low risk (particularly as France is rabies free).

The 6 month wait is nothing to do with the French but is a requirement of DEFRA (the UK). You are quite right in that the French really could not give a monkeys about dogs leaving France. As you say countries are only concerned about animals entering their country and it is only the UK (and Ireland and Denmark – I think) that require the blood test and 6 month wait.

The 6 month wait is only a “one off” provided you keep the boosters up-to-date. I believe that in France, there is no blood test and to travel internationally (or rather enter France) there is a wait of one month after the 1st vaccination (boosters just keep the dog’s immunity “topped-up”).

The blood test I had done for my British dog in the UK took several months to get back (but I was in no rush). The blood test I had done in France for my French pup took only a few weeks for the results (and was quite a bit cheaper that the UK one).

The 6 month rule is a real pain. In practice, I would expect a UK vet to recommend the blood test when vaccinating against rabies in the UK (as, as far as I am aware rabies vaccination is not routine and only done for dogs leaving the UK – hence the need for a blood test for the return). However, I would get the test done a.s.a.p. and start the 6 months a.s.a.p.

My understanding is that in France rabies vaccinations are annual. This is just French practice and the same vaccine used in the UK might be rated as being valid for longer. However, my understanding is that, for the blood test, etc. to be OK, you need keep the rabies boosters as indicated in your Pet Passport (valid until date). The DEFRA web site says this. If your dog is vaccinated in UK, then the valid to date will probably be two (or more) years after the booster. If vaccinated in France it will almost certainly be only 1 year.

However, it seems that the rabies vaccination certificate issued by French vets have quite a lot of importance in France, so I would recommend having a rabies vaccination 1year after the last booster and get a French certificate. It is the French certificate that the police will want to see if they find/arrest your dog (or so I am told).

When my British dog got his first rabies vaccination in France they would only give him a Blue certificate (despite a complete record of UK rabies boosters each year (Blue certificate meaning 1st year). He now has a Pink one (2nd and subsequent years). When I got his Pet Passport in France, it took the vets 4 hours going through his UK rabies booster record to validate that all was OK back to the blood test (plus a lot of telephone calls to the veterinary authorities). The do not seem to like UK rabies vaccination certificates. You will probably have better luck with a Pet Passport.

The “3 month thing” is that after your dog has been in France for 3 months he/she becomes a French resident and must be registered with the SCC. This is done through your vet and some find it easy, others harder. I have now lived here for over a year and a half and have been totally unsuccessful in getting my British dog registered. Its actually quite fun now. Every time I go to the vet I get a different reason why I do not need to (a bit like the Monty Python Cheese Shop game). They now actually accept he should be registered and are getting the right forms.

Rabies is pretty rare in France (a few incidents a year in a really bad year and normally through illegally imported dogs). When there is an incident they really react.

Deimos, you have had a right carry on. For us it was relatively simple with our dog being born in France, all we had to do was allow about 9months to really get everything sorted out and that was it.

I think what comes out of this is that after three months residency then maybe people should go and see the vet and start getting their animal registered as a french resident. Maybe once that is done the rest might be easier later. Would that have helped you Deimos?

Re: Pet Passports

My main problem came for my visit to the UK for last Christmas. DEFRA had told everybody that the old paperwork could no longer be issued (hence my French vets would not issue it as DEFRA had said it was no good) and yet there were no Pet Passports available in France. Both dogs were complying fine (blood tests, 6 month waits, etc.), I just could not get the paperwork necessary. British dog came over with everything (blood tests, 6 month wait, etc.) and French dog went through everything no problems.

The 4hr checking paperwork was probably due to the fact that they decided to also give me French PETS paperwork (old forms) and they were being thorough as they were effectively certifying a rabies vaccination record back to the blood test time and had never seen one of the UK rabies vaccination records (for some reason on a different certificate card to the other UK vaccination record).

Re: Registration

The area I live does not have many British residents and whilst the vets seem very familiar with Pet Passport requirements (holiday makers/holiday homes ?) I think I am the first to ask about registering a British/foreign dog with the SCC. It all a good laugh really as they are very “good humoured” vets.

What was interesting (to me) was how the vet’s attitude to me changed after my first visit with my French dog. Up to that point, visiting with my British dog they had been OK and “professional”. Then, once they scanned the microchip on my French pup I got an immediate comment “She’s French” (they noticed from the prefix on the chip id number) and their entire attitude changed – much more friendly, far more jokes, etc.

Ian

Well I'm not surprised you had problems with DEFRA re: the pet passport whilst resident in France.

Last year I spoke to the person responsible for foreign travel at my UK vet practice, she was really nice but had to admit that nobody knew what the hell was going on; including DEFRA themselves! I contacted DEFRA and they too were quite pleasant, unfortunately they couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether I'd be allowed on the ferry or not!!

All worked out in the end. I might add that everyone at the time involved in the process asked me whether Lola was moving to France or holidaying - nobody saw fit to warn me of this malarkey though...

Well, according to French requirements she's due a vaccination now anyhow - so I'll take your advice and get the blood test done whilst we're at it. 

Bones,

It if helps you are not alone in your frustrations. We thought we were organised.  We got our dog Rabies vaccinated and then waited two months for the blood tests to be performed. Then from that date we factored in the six month wait, so we could take our dog to England end of November. WRONG!

Our lovely dog, Coco failed the blood test.  She did not build up enough antibodies!!!  So now she has been re-vaccinated and the earliest we can have her blood test done is September 1st, then there is the obligatory six month wait! Mince!

So just to keep you posted even if you follow the guidelines, sometime these things don't run to plan.  Our dog is French - so I am not surprised, ha, ha

Deby

ps if Bob Geldof's Sail8 takes place, do you think I could sneak her on board someones boat!

Deby,

You should be able to have a blood test done 1 month after the last booster. I.e. booster today, blood sample/test 22/Aug (at least that is what I believe is an acceptable time for Merial rabisin vaccine – which I though was what most vets tended to use. However, I am not a vet and thus would not contradict a vet (if they say 2 months).

In the UK, when having my British dog rabies/tested the vet told me that its an 80% pass after 1st vaccination, and 90-something % after two (i.e. vaccinate, then booster 1 month later then blood test 1 month later). However, he did qualify that those figures were not based on very much data, but it was why the recommended vaccinate twice before blood test. Also did the same with my French dog (and vets did the 2nd rabies booster for free ‘cos they just do that sort of thing sometimes.

Good luck with the 2nd test.

Ian

• 1 year later...

For your information we have had our dogs vaccinated for rabies for the past 4 year in the Uk with Pet Passports, and we where advised by our vet, who also happens to be French, that we should have the booster jab done annually, so we are already on an annual regime. However they have yet to travel to France!

Also clarification please, as we have had our dogs jabbed annually, we are intending to live in France permanently do visits back to the UK with the dogs, probably will be when we have extended periods or Christmas.  Therefore when the dogs jabs needed re-doing do we have to start again with Blood Tests to conform with the French way?  I am just about to get one of my dogs booster done, bringing it forward three months, if we are out there in the next couple of months, will I have to do the whole process again with Blood tests  If so I think I will wait!

Too late for Bones, but for the benefit of anyone else who is bringing an animal to France, if you have the blood test done in the UK before you leave the clock starts ticking from then.

The six months is based on the old quarantine regs.  Basicly if your animal tests positive it could be due to a good injection or because it actaully has rabies.  If it is still alive after 6 months it couldonly be the former.

And remember, you may think you are never going back to the UK, but the future has a habit of playing nasty tricks.

Advice please!  On entering the UK from France, what documents are required for a dog?

I assume the pet passport contains all necessary information and no other certificates are needed, bar the French rabies certificate?  Do I have to carry previous vaccination certificates, blood test results etc?

Please let me know of any pitfalls.

Thanks,  Flora

• 1 month later...

I have just spoken with Deffra regarding taking a dog to France and have been told he has to have

Pet-passport-microchip

Rabies vaccination

Blood test one month later

Rabies boosters kept up to date

To re enter the UK

If rabies boosters up to date he does not need a blood test.

He has to be treated for ticks and tapeworm 24 hrs before the Journey.

How the world works or a canine conspiracy theory

Chris Patten comes back from Hong Kong, bringing his two dogs Whisky and Soda. He lives in his French house as the dogs are not permitted back in the UK without the six month stay in quarantine kennels.

These quarantine regulations never change – the ministry (MAFF) are advised by a committee stuffed with quarantine kennel owners and jobsworth civil servants.

The Northern Ireland peace process requires somebody to make the Royal Ulster Constabulary more acceptable to the Catholics (translate that as less dangerous to the IRA).

Tony Blair thinks “I know of a distinguished senior politician who is not Labour so the Prods can’t object and who is a Catholic so they won’t object either”.

As if by magic the quarantine regulations vanish in a puff of smoke (to the fury of quarantine kennel owners) to be replaced with pet passports etc. – the new six month  rule just being a piece of routine spite by the jobsworth civil servants - who naturally do not like loosing some arbitrary power.

Chris Patten comes back to the UK with Whisky and Soda and he accepts the RUC review job.

Postscript – After Northern Ireland, Tony Blair makes Chris Patter an EU commissioner thus condemning the Conservatives to Iain Duncan Smith.

Like him or loathe him, Tony Blair is the slickest act at Westminster.

• 1 year later...

I have just  gone through the system with my dog so that I can travel with her in future.

My Vet says that althought the UK regs are longer than one year the French ask for boosters every year and therefore he recommended me to have yearly boosters to avoid problems of this nature. He furthermore says that the gestation period for rabies can be six months, therefore the UK six month rule is because antibodies in the blood could come from either the injection or a previous infection and the waiting period is to make sure it is not an infection.

This actually means I can go to France now but not return before June 2008, therefore I cannot really take her out before June if I intent to return after a couple of weeks.

Rob.

[quote user="mrbeeman"]

This actually means I can go to France now but not return before June 2008,

Yes, this is correct

therefore I cannot really take her out before June if I intent to return after a couple of weeks.

Yes if you take her out to France now, you will have to keep her there until her 6 months are up, so if you just want a holiday of say 2 weeks you can not go until 2 weeks before her first return date, that is why you should always plan well ahead and give yourself minimum 7 1/2 months + you must take in account that the first blood test may be neg so you will require a further 1 month to repeat treatment

Rob.

[/quote]

• 3 months later...
We spoke to our French vet about this the first time we brought our cats over. She explained the thing quite clearly to us. As long as you remain classified as a visitor you adhere to the rules regarding boosters accepted in your own country. As soon as you become resident in France (for these purposes after 3 months continuous residence) then you adhere to the French rules. This means that, if your animal has passed the 1 year period (French rules) before or during your 'becoming resident' stay you must make sure you get a booster done in France before the end of the 3 month 'becoming resident' period - that is, while you are still within the UK rules period - you should not then need any blood teast or 6 months wait. You then have your animal vaccinated every year & no further blood tests or waits are necessary .

I do not think this is made clear in any of the info you receive about Pet Passports but hope it is of some use to people. The motto is, 'if in doubt get a jab'.

By the way, the French vaccinate every year because they have found that blood tests on animals tested between 2 & 3 years after the vaccination have little or no immunity left despite the fact that the vaccine is supposed to last 3 years.

[quote user="JanTy"]We spoke to our French vet about this the first time we brought our cats over. She explained the thing quite clearly to us. As long as you remain classified as a visitor you adhere to the rules regarding boosters accepted in your own country. As soon as you become resident in France (for these purposes after 3 months continuous residence) then you adhere to the French rules. This means that, if your animal has passed the 1 year period (French rules) before or during your 'becoming resident' stay you must make sure you get a booster done in France before the end of the 3 month 'becoming resident' period - that is, while you are still within the UK rules period - you should not then need any blood teast or 6 months wait. You then have your animal vaccinated every year & no further blood tests or waits are necessary .

I do not think this is made clear in any of the info you receive about Pet Passports but hope it is of some use to people. The motto is, 'if in doubt get a jab'.

By the way, the French vaccinate every year because they have found that blood tests on animals tested between 2 & 3 years after the vaccination have little or no immunity left despite the fact that the vaccine is supposed to last 3 years.
[/quote]

I find you post a little confusing [8-)] (my Bold)

Are you referring to UK pets already passported, successfully blood tested more that six months ago, or pets taken to France that are vacinated but might not have had blood tests and 6 months wait ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to pick this up a bit late but our dog was 3 days overdue with his booster rabies jab. That made the passport invalid which our vet failed to mention. Another rabies jab was required, after waiting a ‘compulsory’ 21 days, he then had to have another blood test (80 € + vet consultation 28€) When the result was received a week later, the passport could only be revalidated after another 6 months. I do not think this is a fault of DEFRA; it is the French that only validate the injection for 12 months, where tests have shown it is good for about seven years or more. Better safe than sorry some would say no doubt.