tragic accident

Llantony

That is so sad. I really feel for you, particularly as Cato looks just like one of mine. Perhaps think of keeping the avi? - changing it now might feel worse than leaving it be and when the grief has subsided a little, remembering him like that on a happy occasion might help.

SORRY TO HEAR OF THE ACCIDENT,HOWEVER THINK POSITIVELY OF ALL THE HAPPY TIMES HE GAVE YOU

Pets are like family and their loss is just as sad...........................We have had losses over the years like many others on the forum  and after a while when you get round to it I would suggest you get another cat...there are lots needing a good home .This will help you in my opinion

Years ago we lost our 7year old dog on Xmas night and it was the first time that I had heard  my adult son cry,who had been with her since a puppy .

We have a 8year old cat  now which was the stupid one according to the owner ,who no one wanted.!Stupid.............I have never seen a stupid cat...........ours now has the run of the house,beds,chairs and demands to lie in your arm while I am typing on this keyboard ...in the position of a baby,..he actually turns over upside down and you have to put your arm up quickly to support him.

Let us know what you do .

Thanks for the message, I don't know why I posted really as I know hardly anyone personally. It does helpl that people understand.

It seems over reaction, but we feel as if a light has gone out of our lives, can't focus on anything. And all so pointless and unnecessary. We failed him, should not have let him out.

We have a rescued dog, who is very sweet. Also a horrible French cat who walked in one day and stayed, and bullied Cato. But Cato was a joy every time I looked at him or stroked him. So gentle.

[quote user="Llantony"]And all so pointless and unnecessary. We failed him, should not have let him out. [/quote]

I know why you're thinking that but really, you didn't fail him. You let him out to go and be a cat and the accident happened. You gave him a good home, lots of attention and affection and that's what really mattered.

Catalpa is right, you cannot blame yourself as a cat will get into trouble in the home just as easily as outdoors anywa and better to have a good short life of fun than a boring and un-natural short one indoors.   We used to live on a very busy main road (albeit in the country) and we lost a good half a dozen cats before we decided that was the end and stopped letting them out.  But they never had  a proper cat existance and it's so good to be in a quieter spot now traffic-wise so our little family of cats can live a proper life.    Cooper tried last year to traverse our pond but,  being a very large gentleman, managed to break the ice and, happily, he swam to the other side and was fine (if peeved)  but it was a near thing.  However,  I'd rather on balance that he went out and took the risk, than lived like our cats did in the UK - they were never really happy like our chaps and chappesses are here.

Courage, just think of all the fun Cato had in his life and how much pleasure he gave you.   I'll bet he was happy to have had a good home with  you.

I am in total agreement with what has been expressed so far. I had a wonderful long haired tabby called Oscar who was my avatar and only managed to make it to 18 months before he was run over on the quiet road outside our house. I have never been so devastated, even writing about it now after a year and a half, makes me cry. I blamed myself for a long time, but now realise he was just doing what cats like to do - having his freedom and although his life was short, I loved him and he was happy.

The pain will be raw for a long time, but eventually you will look be able to look at his picture and remember him for all the love he gave you.

Having just lost our dog in an accident, I know what you are going through. At least if they are old or ill, you have some warning and some time to prepare emotionally.

Hope the healing process doesn't take too long. I still cry buckets every day, but it is only 3 weeks ago that we lost Bravo.....

I feel exactly the same about our beagle. We failed him, should have kept him on the lead. But loads of people who knew him have assured us that he would have been miserable had we not let him be true to his nature. You did the right thing with your cat, animals need freedom.

My heart goes out to you, I lost my beautiful Enzo aged only 3, poisoned (hopefully by accident), if I hadn't let him out in the cold he might have not found and eaten the stuff that killed him.He was SUCH a beautiful fella, and a real character. Like you, I feel I have no proper focus, stupid I know, but he was just so special......[:'(]