Homes wanted.

rosie

I'm a refugee from another forum as I've tried to place this request. We have for various unexpected reason got to return to the UK, (we have to sell the house first) We have 4 cats, all 5 yrs old, happy and healthy. They have all been neutered, but have no chip or vaccination. We cannot afford to get these done, and anyway I cannot imagine them settling in a small terraced house when they've been here with all the forest to play in. I need to rehome these during the summer. I know the roof is going to fall on me, from all you people who say we should have thought about this, but things do happen, and 6 months ago I really didn't expect to be in this situation.

Surely you have time to get them passports? If you have to sell your house, and wait for the inevitable bureaucracy before completion?

With all the costs of selling a house and moving back to UK, the extra bit for micro-chippping the cats is a tiny percentage.

They might not like the UK house as much, but will get used to it. With so many cats and kittens in need of homes it might be hard to find them a good home. You took cats on and they depend on you.

Sorry if that sounds judgmental. I have just lots a beloved cat and nothing would have persuaded me to abandon him. But I do not want another..

I'm sorry to read of your plight, but at least you have started to think about it well ahead of time and whilst some will judge you as you say, I say 'there but for the grace of God....... etc'.  Do you have friends/family back in the UK (with gardens) that might be persuaded to take them on for you I wonder?  If you started to ask around now you could have the passports done in time and maybe even find that they will help with the veterinary costs.  It's worth a try as I think you will struggle to find them homes here......... maybe the incoming inhabitants of your house will be prepared to take them on when it is sold..??  I  once took resident cats on when I bought a place and they were very happy for many years with us.  I can't think of what else to suggest other than try calling Phoenix Association for help and possible contacts - they will help if they can.  I wish you well and hope you find a solution for your pets.

Thanks for the suggestions. We really cannot afford to get them all chipped etc, it's over 200€ each, and thats a months living money, family in the same situation. Obviously I'll keep trying, Phoenix can't take them on as they have too many on the books, and another well known 'charity' want all the vaccinations /chipping done, and a donation toward each. When the house sale comes a reality I'll ask the incoming people, but I can't just abandon them. They are lovely healthy animals, and it is a crying shame, I know its my fault, but I never ever thought this would happen.

Chin up Rosie, where there's a will there's a way.  Keep the thread on here 'live' and someone will come up with a solution hopefully as there are some very good people on here.  Many people would not even bother and just leave the poor things to fend for themselves....... it's happening a lot I have been reliably informed which is very very sad.  Try putting a few more details about the cats (males/females/colours/neutered?) and some photos might do the trick also.  It all helps.

Take your time Rosie.  You say you will have to rehome them during the Summer so there's no panic, yet.  They are already neutered which is a good thing.  Males, females?

To get anyone interested in them, you will really need to post some photos, so maybe you could start there.

Edit :  Snap Merlin !

Another thing Rosie, you don't seem to say where you are which is important.

'but for the grace of God' as said above. I can't possible imagine what it must be like - and I am sorry I can't help at the mo. Again, well done for planning early and trying your very best. Hope you put more details and pictures here soon, and that you will find a solution. xx

[quote user="Llantony"]Surely you have time to get them passports? If you have to sell your house, and wait for the inevitable bureaucracy before completion? With all the costs of selling a house and moving back to UK, the extra bit for micro-chippping the cats is a tiny percentage. They might not like the UK house as much, but will get used to it. With so many cats and kittens in need of homes it might be hard to find them a good home. You took cats on and they depend on you. Sorry if that sounds judgmental. I have just lots a beloved cat and nothing would have persuaded me to abandon him. But I do not want another..[/quote]

Yes, Llantony, that does sound very judgmental considering the OP is starting early to look for homes for her cats, so she is not abandoning them. At 200 euros a time when you have 5 cats it is 1000 euros which is a bit more than 'the extra bit', especially if finances are already very stretched. It is also not very practical to have 5 cats in a small terrace house - it's a different matter when you are in the country and have plenty of space for them; also you should know if you have had a cat that they never depend on you if they don't want to - they will leave you without a second glance.

It is responses like yours that have given this forum a bad name in the past and discouraged people from using it. I'm sorry you have just lost your cat, but please think before being so quick to criticise.

Rosie, I hope you get sorted. As Christine says if you put your department it would help people to know whether they can be of assistance.