Suitable Puppy for 7 Year Old

Fi

He's lovely.  This might seem a dumb question, but why are they called labrits?  Or is there not a particular reason, it's just their name.  After all, who was Jack Russell (and no, not the cricketer!)?

Incidentally Eco in deep disgrace - I didn't lock the larder door last night and the greedy thing scoffed a whole packet of biscuits.  He's outside considering the error of his ways (and hopefully getting rid of the evidence in the way dogs do best!).

Fi

No idea why they are called labrits - just another name I suppose.

Had a little chortle at Eco nicking the biscuits - we have to keep all doors locked with keys as they are the sort with "bar" handles (rather than knobs) and Romeo can open them all in a trice.  He is an incorrigible thief if food is left unattended.  About six months ago I did a meal for loads of people involving a starter of melon and ham.  Left all the melon skins and pips in a pedalbin...... - yes, you're there ahead of me.  Amazingly they seemed to do him no harm whatsoever but both he and the downstairs kitchen were dreadfully sticky[+o(].

Chrissie (81)

He'll chew anything.  Was slightly concerned when I found bits of balloon in his poop [+o(]  And he's in deep disgrace (again) for chewing a book which I had borrowed - cue manic search on Amazon for a replacement and one dog outside considering the error of his ways (but all he did was chase the kitten, until the kitten puffed himself, yowled in a scary manner, and Eco ran off with tail between his legs - big coward!)

Dogs are vile - why do we have them?  (apart from all that soppy unconditional dog love, and big brown eyes, and entertainment value...)

Fi

We had a lot of chewing in the beginning - books, ovengloves, bits of washing, pinecones - but then I put this down to sheer curiosity and experimentation as Romeo had been in kennels for four years.  It soon died down as he got to realise that most things weren't too good to chew, we gave him chew toys of his own, and there was always a regular meal coming.  I expect puppies are the same!

Chrissie (81)

Get him a Kong and put some peanut butter inside....... it will keep him busy for an hour or two!  Ours used to be terrible chewers and still have a go on the odd occasion if they thing we've been out shopping too long (couple of hours no more as we hate shopping) socks and gloves if they can find them..... imagine this, I once had an Irish Wolfhound (love of my life!) who chewed nearly a foot off the corner of my pine dining table whilst I was waiting in casualty with one of the kids one day!!  But I ramble - looks like your fellow needs some toys and distraction till he settles in a bit more, lots of exercise and treats when he's been good.  He's just 'testing' his new surroundings and in time he'll subside I'm sure and be a lovely chap.

Can you think of an alternative to peanut butter?  It's a horrible price here (3,50 for a tiny jar).    Perhaps dog treats?  Not even going to consider Nutella - horrible messy stuff - I've seen what a 9 year old can achieve with it!

Took the hooligan for a walk this afternoon - he managed to retrieve and drop twice before lunacy took over - he really does want to please!  Would have helped if he hadn't blotted his copybook by demolishing a whole camembert on his return.... that dog could eat for France if we let him.

Fi

Hi Fi  - dear me he is a 'Taffy' isn't he?  We make our own peanut butter so don't pay shop prices but I take your point.  If you get a Kong - they sell similar items in the pet shops here, basically a heavy rubber toy that has a hole in one end, and get some doggie treats that are large enough to stay inside.  I used to jam the largest dog teats I could find (Bonio type things) inside so more than one sometimes and that was enough to get them very interested.  Also, do you feed him twice a day?  If not, try dividing his main meal between breakfast and supper and make sure he is getting enough for his size?  Perhaps you might consider bulking his food out a bit with some dog pasta (very cheap from the supermarkets' pet shelf) quick to make up as all you do is soak a handful in a boiled kettle of water for five minutes and then add it to his usual food when cool.  He's not likely to get fat with his energy and it might just help.  Failing that there are some dogs who are natural born 'thieves'.... I had a Bassett Hound who stole food off the work surface - butter, frozen chops, sausages, a whole chicken...... the list was endless... all the days of her life and she lived to the ripe old age of 17!  We just had to remember never to leave stuff where she was able to get at it.  Perhaps Eco has something in his history that makes him grab food whenever he can, it's hard to know and hard to judge and it may take a while to train him away from doing that - it's early days for you and him so you will have to be patient with him and vigilant on the food front!  I'm sure he will be worth it even though he is trying you at the moment.  All mine were and the two little 'monsters' (2 year olds) that I have now have got so much better, so take heart.

Fi, at 6 months old he's only a baby, you've got a long way to go....... a firm hand, patience, lots of exercise (but no great long walks yet) and neutering will all help. He should be on two meals a day until he's a year old, then switch to one gradually, but some labs are better on 2 meals forever.

He can't help chewing things, it just happens and teaches you all to be tidy.

pm me if you wish - I've had 10 lab puppies for guide dogs through my house (what's left of it!) since 2001

Also a really great idea, which was suggested to us by the breeder of our Rhodesian Ridgeback - an indoor cage.  Stops the chewing, anxiety, it's her space.  She goes in it during the day when we are in and leave the cage door open, our two other dogs nip in quick when Della is laying somewhere else.  Best idea given to us.  Also a cage for the hatchback of the car, expensive but great, no worry of the dogs leaping into traffic. (Mind you we had to buy this because said Ridgeback ate the interior of the boot space!!).

Suey

• 1 month later...
He's fab.   He's realised that the way to my heart isn't with a soggy, half chewed shoe - I just get my wrist licked.  And being a similar age to the new cat, he is showing kitten tendencies, i.e. patting a ball round the house and chasing it, while the cat holds bits of wood between his paws and growls at it.   He (Eco) has stopped trying to take elderly spaniel for a walk by his ear, and most importantly, he has nearly stopped knocking the children over and then trying to steal their boots.

He is still totally mad, but I can now stop him with a stern "Eco - arrete", he lets humans through the door first - he automatically stops and takes last place in the queue.  We still have our moments, but he is a pleasure to live with.  This is Eco in relaxed mode:

[IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/FNSH/IMG_0324.jpg[/IMG]

Trouble is, he lays himself open to attack by Pat the Cat - it is like living in a tom and jerry cartoon late in the evening!

We love the soppy blonde hooligan and couldn't be without him.

In doggy heaven

Fi