feeding a puppy

gyn_paul

Hi,

We have a 16 -week old Cocker Spaniel who is a joy (usually!) We are feeding her proprietary dried puppy/small dog food from a variety of manufacturers (we live out in the sticks, and can't rely on the same make being on the supermarket shelves twice in a row), and they all seem to vary in their recommended gms/day despite their chemical/food value analysis being virtually identical.

She currently gets 130gms x 2 per day and is rounded but not fat. Up to this week she has looked forward to her meals and scoffed them in seconds flat, but this week she's eaten only about 2/3rds at each meal, and come back to it to finish it off in several goes over the following hour or so. This is the same mix she's had for 3 weeks now

I remember reading somewhere that a puppy should have only what she can polish off in 15 minutes or so....

So am I feeding her too much?....

What do others think? 

p

Try feeding smaller amounts three times a day - also try mixing in some meat or fish of some sort (home cooked scraps with vegetables and a little gravy).  I have been researching dog foods for some months now and it's criminal what manufacturers actually put into certain so-called complete dog meal - no actually it's horrific.  I have four dogs and have now gone the route of ordering dog food in bulk from the UK through an English lady in Grenoble - Seulement Naturel - which actually works out cheaper than the better brands here in France (even the ones the vets sell at huge expense and are actually rubbish!).  One of our rescued puppies had problems whilst growing similar to those you relate and has since remained a very fussy eater.  It was because of her that I started to research dog food and delving into the pet food world...... hmmmm, quite shocking!  We live out in the middle of nowhere and so delivery of dog/cat food from these folks is great and VERY efficient.  I have also learned that feeding dogs raw meat is just the best thing you can do for them, mixed in with a GOOD proprietary kibble and lots of vegetables is just the best thing. Yes it's a bit more fiddly until you get a routine sorted but so much better for your pet.  I could write oceans about all this and stand on my soap box for hours as I am now into the natural, herbal products that deal with fleas/ticks/worms and they DO work also!  Our dogs will live longer healthier lives as a consequence of our bothering to find out more about what we are subjecting them to in terms of diet, even with the best of intentions!  It's not rocket science and makes absolute sense and the manufacturers are perfectly wise to what they are doing as are the vets and it's all down to.... money!

Try your puppy on some home made food (gradually added to her kibble) and have a look at the site I mentioned above.  If you would like further information please email me and I will be glad to help. 

Hi gyn_paul

Your puppy has a small stomach and therefore the daily allowance split into 3 or 4 meals would be better for the pup. She should be on proper puppy food to make sure she gets the right amount of nutrients her developing body needs.

I agree with Merlin and I too stand on my soap box where canine nutrition is concerned!

I use Seulement Naturel as well and they are very good and deliveries are prompt.

If feeding meat, give her a good quality source of protein with the correct balance of fat.

Make sure she is wormed montly up to the age of 6 months and then normally or if you have cats, more often than normal.

Hope this is helpful.

Russethouse - James Wellbeloved has indeed been bought out by Royale Canine and as such is no longer the same quality!  Sad to say that Royale Canine is on the hit list as I discovered during my research.  I initially had my two GSH X rescue pups on this when they were small and it was a disaster which is why I started my investigations.  I have had rescue and pedigree dogs for 30 years and wish I had learned about the pet food industry sooner - it would have saved me a lot of money and kept the dogs healthier in later life.  We expect our vets to advise us about such things (or breeders if you choose to buy a pedigree) but sadly they are all, in some way, ' in-the-pay' of these manufacturers or are just simply unaware of what they are actually feeding.  Reading on the side of a bag of dog food is essential, but even then I'm sad to say, it's misleading and a load of gobbledigook to most pet lovers who believe they are buying the best for their companions and trust the marketing done by these pet food companies.  It's a huge racket and actually, in an alarming number of cases, bad for the animals.  Ingredients are 'disguised' as being something they are not to line the manufacturers pockets because the industry is BIG business and ultimately the vets get their pockets lined too as they get kick backs for selling some extra expensive brands that are so called veterinary approved (that's piffle to put it politely) and let's not forget the bills owners end up paying for sick animals whose organs have gradually been damaged by such foods.  I actually tried three different veterinary clinics, with several vets in practice, to explain to me the ingredients on the bags of the so called 'scientifically structured' dog and cat food......... not one could!  Furthermore we discover that the name on the product is no longer made by them - yes, you guessed it, in fact as with most of the food you buy it comes from one of maybe three huge manufacturers and just turned out in different ways....... none of which are 'safe'!

Yes so I got on my soap box a little there, but it's because I was so enraged when I discovered that for years I had been hoodwinked into thinking I was doing the very best by my dogs and spending money I sometimes didn't always have to buy them what I thought was the best.  My fault, the information was out there, but I had no way of knowing how to research it and nor did I suspect that the industry was so unethical.  Now I know better and I know I will have healthier dogs who will live longer and whilst I am still spending money, this time I know where to find the food that is as close to being 100% good nutrition as I can get and the rest I grow myself.  If more people are made aware then the petfood industry would have to change and stop ripping us off - the good foods sell themselves and are not anymore expensive than the junk the big companies retail all over the place.  Pet stores should be more selective, as should vets, as should supermarkets.......... but hey I know we're dreaming here..!!  So it's up to us the pet owners to be more aware and do something about it.  Here endeth the epistle according to Merlin...... my apologies to all who have taken the trouble to read this!

Go look at Seulement Naturel - and you puppy will be fine!

I fed "my lot" James Wellbeloved when it was the original company for years - the food was excellent but agree that since Royal Canin took over, it is not so. I don't believe it is available in France (altho I stand to be corrected).

Merlin, I agree with all you say, and have been trying to educate dog owners for years on canine nutrition! However, I would really recommend Seulement Naturel - Google them and you'll find te website. Burns is also a good dog food if you are looking for kibble.

Good luck

Menuiserie, I get all my dog and cat food from Seulement Naturel and am good friends with Sue who runs it.  She is always researching new healthier products and is also trying to help me get organic poultry food over from the UK which, as we run an organic vegetable small holding, I need to do to bring the hens in line with all the rest of the stuff we do.  It's interesting that Sue tells me that 85% of her clients are French which is very encouraging from the point of view of converting a greater number of people here to feed better quality animal products to their pets.  It's not all about money, very often people just need to be pointed in the right direction and shown that it is easy to change and the reasons why it makes sense.  It's frightening when you see how the big manufacturers more often than not endanger the products by their greed instead of enhancing them with their technology for the better of all concerned.  We came to France to have a simple country life and work with nature once again, which is what we are doing..... and it is so much more rewarding on all fronts.  This thread seems to have strayed from the puppy in question, but I hope that it all helps put her, a new little dog, on to the right road to a very health and happy life.

For all who might want to give some thought to changing their dogs' diets here is the website that will take you in the right direction  http://www.seulementnaturel.fr/ -  Always remember that when you change your dog's diet, you need to do it gradually over a week mixing a little of the new in with the old - avoids tummy upsets.  The foods at Seulement make a visible difference to your pet in quite a short space of time, better coats, energy levels and so on, also better pooos!  You will need less because it's a better product and enables the dog's metabolism to function easier and better.  It's a huge step up from anything you can buy in the shops and your order is delivered to your door within 48 hours!  Go have a look and do you and your pet a big favour.

And here's me thinking we were doing the right thing by saving up the pennies and getting Royal Canine........

One of our dogs had some granules in his bladder at the back end of last year. He was put onto a H***'s c/d diet and gradually his urine returned to nomal. But the vet says he must eat this, and only this, for ever now. No bits of cooked chicken, no rice, no treats, no nothing.

Can anyone advise if this is really likely to be true? I will be chasing after him (the dog, not the vet) next week trying to get a sample to see how his urine levels are doing, after having cheated quite a bit over the last month. He seems quite happy and healthy and lively and I watch carefully to check he has no trouble peeing (wot fun...)

I would be very tempted by the Seulement Naturel products for both dogs but don't want to give him a setback.

All advice gratefully received.

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie - sorry have only just read your post.  The diet you mention that your vet says your dog will have to stay on for the rest of his life is also 'one on the hit list' !!!  Yes even this one - once only available through vet surgeries in the UK and here and now freely available in the large pet stores.... why?  Because it too has changed hands and is now manufactured by one of the large companies under the same name as before but the ingredients are not good!  Vets simply don't seem to catch on to this or bother to read what is out there for all to read.  I had one of ours on Hills because she had a kidney problem (we thought) - actually it was just a really bad bout of a urinary infection she picked up because she drank some nasty pond water we tracked it back to.  I'm not getting on my soap box again but some of these dog foods actually degenerate organs as I have said before.  What I would do is get in touch with Seulement Naturel or look at the website (it's in English as well as French) and just look at all the ingredients - one of the Arden Grange foods contains cranberry extract I seem to recall which is specifically for the urinary tract..... they will send you sample packs of the food if you email them the problem or simply buy a small 2kg bag of one that you think might be the best - look at the protein levels.  How old is your dog?  Older dogs do not need such high protein content as growing dogs - how active is he?  Working dogs need different levels to our ordinary pets who just love a good run out on walks....... it all matters and the Arden Grange range caters for all including expectant bitches and puppies.  Buying in small amounts to start with isn't the most economical way of course but once you establish one sort that suits your dog you can then order in bulk and get a discount as well as free delivery.  It's so worth it and I don't believe for one minute that your dog has to stay on Hills for the rest of his life - it's borrocks!  Introduce a new food slowly and I'll bet it works - it did for us and we have never looked back.  Dogs' insides were never meant to eat the complete foods we give them today...... we have to be aware of that, but there are plenty of ways to feed them a more natural diet with a little thought and Arden Grange food goes a long way to helping.  There is also a moist food Nature Diet you can get from this company, in sealed packs which are just brilliant for sensitive tummies and recovering animals that need no mixing with kibble as they form a complete nutritious meal.  Everyone who sees our dogs, two big GSH X Beauceron who have amazing shiny coats, good teeth and bright eyes etc., (even the vets) ask what we feed them!  The other two Heinze 57 mutts likewise, they are old and came with problems related to their age and ill treatment that have all cleared up in a matter of months thanks to correct feeding through this company and their products.  It's worth a bit of effort and patience to get it right and have a healthier, happier dog (and owner).  It's a sad fact that you can't always go by what a vet says as more often than not they do not research these foods and simply go by what the rep who sells them tells them - there is also quite a substantial financial kick back from their sales of these products which is indeniable by any vet!  I hope you get it sorted.

Hi Merlin

Thanks for the reply - I have already emailed Seulement Naturel and will see what transpires.

Romeo is a large griffon cross (crossed with a mixture of German Shepherd and Bear as far as we can see.) He is about 9 years old. And doesn't know the meaning of work! Likes a good run in the mornings , though.

Unfortunately he eats vast quantities and so a 2kg bag of anything doesn't last long! He is shown in the original "Pets in Photography" thread - the penultimate page.

Thanks again

Chrissie