URGENT Cat's eye infection

wild geese

Boil some water - add good measure of salt to dissolve and then let it cool and pour into a jug - cover and keep in the fridge.  Take a small bowl full and with fresh cotton wool (or face cleansing pads) soak, but not dripping, and gently swab the eye with one stroke only away from the nose across the eye.  Repeat this with clean pads each time until the area is clean and free of any goo!  Do it all again every couple of hours or as and when you see it looking messy.  See if this eases things.  If however the eye is very swollen to the point of being closed then you will need a vet to have a look I think.  Do you think it is an infection from a skirmish of some sort or perhaps there is something in the eye.  Bathing with the salt water will not do any harm at all and should calm and clean things at any event.  If the cat is scratching the eye be very diligent.

Thanks,

I have taken your advice with the salt water and bought some 'sulfa collyre' from the pharmacy which seems to be doing the trick. Her eye was swollen and she was scratching it, it would start to heal and then she would scratch it and it would get worse, but I will persevere with the cleansing and the eye drops. It says to use the drops for eight days.  The swelling has gone down a lot and if she would stop annoying it  I think it will be ok. I know you can put a sort of bucket over a dogs head to stop it scratching, but I don't know if a cat would put up with that sort of thing.  I know I should take her to the vet but finances have been very low since Christmas and every time you go to the vet it's at least 80 euros.  Thanks again and fingers crossed.

Mags 

Hope things are a bit better?  You could try putting a little bandage on the paw(s) she is scratching the eye with to see if that helps - maybe give her something else to think about and save a little of the destruction she is doing to the possible good work of the bathing and drops.  See how it goes - the vet might be your final option but I know what a struggle it can be to find the pennies sometimes - don't feel bad.