Pet passport mistake?

Barbel Bob

Hi,

Can any one please help me, i took my dog for her rabies injection on the 21st oct. a while later i decided to book our journey to the uk and got her passport out to check when the six months was up, her passport states: date de vaccination: 19/09/09 valid from 19/10/09 valid until 19/09/2010.

Unfortunately i worked out the 6mths from the date of injection meaning she could travel from the 19/03/2010, the letter to say she passed the test states: sampling date 21/10/09 receipt date 26/10/09. Meaning the 6mths is the 21/04/2010

I have booked flights for myself and the children, my husband has taken time off work to drive over and collect the dog and the ferry is booked! all for the 18th april!!!

Has the vet just in correctly filled out the passport? or is there a reason for this?

Help!

The six months wait starts from the date of the blood test so it would seem that your dog cannot travel to the UK until after 21st April.

This is from the DEFRA website - "Your dog or cat may not enter the UK under PETS until six calendar months

have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which led

to a satisfactory test result"

Bernice

Hi,

Yep, Bernice is right, we were eager to travel when we first got our dog done and wanted a particular day but had to wait to "the day" to be able to travel.

Don't forget to have your dogs Tic and flea treatment done 24 hours (and no longer than 48 hours) before you travel.

Maybe the "easiest" way around your dilemma would be to change your husbands travel plans on the ferry ( I know what a pain this all is) so that you don't incur costs with your plane flights.

I hope you manage to sort it all out and that things go well for you.

Bon Voyage.

Mel

Hi,

Thanks for the replies...just so annoying that the vet made this mistake, god knows what he was thinking about putting a date over a month earlier on the passport!

We have to change so much now, but no other choice i suppose! lesson learnt check and re-check everything the vets fills in!

Thanks again

J

I don't think the vet made a mistake as rabies vaccination and passport are required for pet travel throughout Europe so the passport would be valid if, for example, you travelled to Spain.  It's only the UK (and perhaps Sweden...?) who require the blood test and a wait of six months.

Hope you have a good trip!

Bernice

What a pain and palava for you, I am so sorry. Is there any chance of asking the vet to re-write a new passport with a bit of 'imagination'? Once we were at a Vet in Calais for pre-crossing passport check and treatment, and she had no hesitation in putting a couple of hours off. You might have to pay, but it would be much cheaper and easier than re-scheduling everything. Bonne chance.

I thought the date was taken as the date they passed which for me was a good month after the sample date by the time the lab had returned all of the documents.

EDIT, just reread your dates, your experience is the same as mine, I dont think your vet made any mistake.. stnadard practice.

No RH- it is a professional realising there is a simple and genuine problem- and is aware that it does really make no difference - and decides to use their common sense.

In our case, it was because the vet was called away on an emergency and saw us 2 hours later than our appointment, and wrote down the appt. time so we wouldn't miss our crossing.

Hi,

It has to be the vets mistake, he put the date of injection as the 19/09/09 when she was not actually injected with the rabies jab until 21/10/09. I just wish when i checked it back that i would of looked at the lab result letter and not the passport before making my plans!

I am going to try and explain how much trouble this has caused for us on wed when i have an appointment for a jab...in my best french, i pray he will make the mistake again and alter the date, as its only 3 days difference....only trouble is if they ask for the lab pass letter, this clearly states the 21/10/09. Do they normally ask for this as well as the passport?

My husband only started his new job in the UK today and now has to ask for time off to come over midweek to collect her.

J

Hi,

Went to vets today, and it was MY mistake after all. It seems she did have the vaccination on the 19/09 and we took her back a month later (vets recommendation) for the blood test on the 21/10....as its 6mths from the blood test and not the injection we are not able to travel with her until 21/04/10.

I cannot believe i have made this mistake i have read the defra website several times...must be my age or too much French wine.... We are just going to have to re-arrange all our travel plans, we will get there in the end.

Thanks

J