young male cat causing problems?

Rose

Hello - I'm hoping to pick the brains of the animal lovers here.

We have four cats, an old lady that rarely ventures outside, and 7 year old male and two one year old girls... all of whom have been neutered.

Our boy has suffered a very nasty injury and needed an operation yesterday... caused the vet thinks by a fight.  Our two younger girls have also both been in scraps over the last two nights and tonight we think we have identified the culprit.  Our neighbout has a young male, about a year old and he hasn't been neutered... our guess is that he's looking for a mate?

We're keeping the cats in after dark as this is when we hear the fights but it's difficult as they want to go out.  Apart from keeping them in is ther anything else we could do?  I could talk to our neighbours, we're on very good terms with them... but we can't be sure it's their cat and I know he's not keen on neutering.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Hi Rose

We have an almost identical problem!  We have 3 male neutered cats, brothers all 18 mths old, who all get on well with each other (apart from a bit of sibling rivalry for the comfiest seat every now and then!). Since Feb we've taken one or other of them to the vet at least once with fight injuries - wounds/abscesses.

We know the culprit is a local un-neutered tom who is actually a nice cat but keeps turning up at our place to mark his territory. The owner says he can't afford to pay for the operation. 

Ours are impossible to keep in at night - we get no sleep as they bounce off the walls - but things do seem to have calmed down recently, not sure if it's the "season" passing or whether our cats have finally given him enough of a beating to keep him away. We do shoo the intruder away every time we see him, also using a water pistol too. We have been considering offering to pay for the opertaion on the other cat, as it would work out cheaper than all the treatment for the injuries! But we're not sure if this will "cure" him now he has learnt this kind of behaviour.

We have another neighbour with a neutered female who has also been visited by this tom but she gave him what-for and he's not been seen since round there - sometimes I think females are feistier than the males.

Sorry, not really any solutions, but hopefully he will calm down and/or find other cats to bother, or head off further afield in search of a mate once he realises he's not getting any joy from yours.

Lou

As you say its all about marking territory and alpha status which will include marking your cats! I had success with a local tom by marking him! yes I through my urine (from a cup) over him and he doesn't visit any more. Helps if you mark your boundaries too

It wasn't my finest china just a cut down plastic bottle so guests need not worry [:)]

Sorry to hear your boy needed an operation, Rose. I hope he's recovering well.

I keep a water pistol handy to shoo off the village yowlers  ...maybe I should ask Mr A to fill it for me next time, as it is an increasing problem with our neutered toms, and even the females aren't feisty enough to fend off the local moggies. Ours are all ex-London cats; a bunch of southern softies. [:-))] [;-)]

Hello ands thanks for the replies... it's good to know our little cats aren't alone with their problems.  Our chap is much better today but on Monday morning I really  thought we might lose him; he was so poorly.

I'll have a word Greyman and Greyman jnr and ask if they can oblige with some plastic bottles... I'd be more than happy to sit in wait to catch the culprit... and it seems like a solution that isn't going to cause the other cat any real harm... [blink] [:D]