Cat and going back to uk.

Thebiga

Hello, I atleast know that if we take our cat back with us to the uk that she has to have a rabies shot and then tested for 6 months is this correct?

The other problem we have is that no way will she be able to be cooped up in a cage for the trip back to the ferry the croosing then 5 hours the other way so we are looking at getting her transported by plane. I take it that she can be sedated first but has anyone done this and ifso did it all go to plan and what sort of money did ity cost? The inlaws are staying in France and I would rather leave the cat with them as its happy here but our children do not think the same!

Thankyou for any advice.

Take a good look at this DEFRA site: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/index.htm  It will tell you every thing you need to know about bringing your cat into UK.

Be careful not to listen to everyone who say that they did it differently, everyone has a different story!

As for the travel arrangements that up to you, no-one can say how YOUR cat will behave in transit.

My 2 dogs have done at least 10 return crossing, and we have never had any problem with stress.

Good to hear that you love your cat enough to take it back home with you, good luck. 

[quote user="Thebiga"]Hello, I atleast know that if we take our cat back with us to the uk that she has to have a rabies shot and then tested for 6 months is this correct? The other problem we have is that no way will she be able to be cooped up in a cage for the trip back to the ferry the croosing then 5 hours the other way so we are looking at getting her transported by plane. I take it that she can be sedated first but has anyone done this and ifso did it all go to plan and what sort of money did ity cost? The inlaws are staying in France and I would rather leave the cat with them as its happy here but our children do not think the same! Thankyou for any advice.[/quote]

Hello

I thought the same about the 'feral' cat that adopted me,  after all she panicked if you closed the front door whilst she was in  . But I got the travelling sedative from the vet and gave her the recommended dose.  As soon as we set off on the 8 hour cross france trip she started howling.  I decided to let her out of her basket, she then came and laid on the hand brake under my hand for the next 4 hours and didnt move, I even had the window down for tolls and nothing.  I got to the servies where I had planned a stop and put a harness on her that I'd bought to try, she hopped out of the car with me and peed on the grass!  Such a good girl and when I got back in the car she jumped back in, we arrived 8 hours later at the destination and she was none the worse for wear. 

I had 'saved' her and her kittens when others were awful to her, rehomed the kittens and had her sprayed all in the space of a few weeks and of course fed her up, so I think she trusts me but I do also think most cats will adapt to travel if they don't feel hemmed in.  My old cat travelled from the UK with me in the rear of an estate car, I made her a kind of run with litter tray etc and she stayed in that for the same length of time.  By choice I would have done the same with the feral cat but I didnt have the space since I was moving house at the same time.

I'm sure yours will be fine which ever you choose but yes 6 months is required post the postive blood test so it's actually more like 7 months+.  My feral cat is still in France as I have firends with loads of land and barns and she prefers the outdoor life.  They may move back to the UK though and so I too am getting her fully passported just in case as I may have her back one day, I really miss having a cat and would have her in a flash.

Good luck what ever you do.

We did 3 flights with the cat. Air France was brilliant and we were allowed the cat on our laps throughout (in his little box, but the door was open to feed titbits). At the airport they were waiting for us and whisked (!) us through early, no fuss. Fantastic!

Have used a professional firm to airfreight cats before (I did not have to pay the bill - which was about 500GBP each!).

They are provided with crates about the size of a large dog's carrying box - so plenty of space to move around.

[quote user="Thebiga"] The inlaws are staying in France and I would rather leave the cat with them as its happy here but our children do not think the same!

Thankyou for any advice.[/quote]

If your in-laws are genuinely fond of the cat and will give it a good life then do what's right for the cat. Children can be placated with the promise of a visit to the RSPCA or Cats' Protection League to choose a replacement when you're settled in the UK and you can bask in the knowledge that you'll be responsible for giving another cat (or cats!) a good home. [:D]

Otherwise, it's surprising how cats adapt to being in a car. We brought two four-month old cats with us and they slept almost all the way. Info in this link. Ignore any entry to France regulations - they may have changed since I posted the info.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/936420/ShowPost.aspx