Can the notaire/immobilier add more money after contract

Galet

Dear all

We are nearing the completion of our French home. But on our contract the immobilier has added the figures incorrectly and the figure is 300 euros more than it should be. It clearly shows an error in calculation. We e-mailed her and her reply was that although there was an error in calculation the notaire has now said we will be charged an extra 300 euros more than what the contract states. We have been given no reason why. Has anyone else had this situation? Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

[quote]Dear all We are nearing the completion of our French home. But on our contract the immobilier has added the figures incorrectly and the figure is 300 euros more than it should be. It clearly shows an...[/quote]

Hi

The Notaires fees & taxes on your Compromis are an estimate. The actual fee is only established after the Acte Authentique has been signed and the house is yours. It is usual (perhaps) for you to be overcharged and then have some money refunded.. ha ha.

Ours went up by 300E and we eventually got 58E back.

This is typical of French beaurocracy and tends to be the norm in any number of areas. Do you bother to check the prices charged in the supermarkets against what is on the shelves?

I see the analogy but I guess when you check the receipt you duely challenge anything obviously wrong.

As Nick says though often there will be a rebate of some fashion after the acte authentique. Normally the exact notaire figure on the compromis is taken from a "bareme". These are exact figures on a table and the fee is banded in relation the property price. If they have simply written the fee down incorrectly by 300 euros then they will simply correct it at a later time and ask for more money. You certainly won't get away without paying it.

Not necessarily efficient but it is the way it is.

Similar thing here: I hadn't bothered to do the addition, just assumed it was right. Then I got a cheque for about €60, nearly 6 months later. A further 6 months later, I had another letter from the notaire asking why I never cashed it, and had to admit to having lost it (stupid Englishman).

3 weeks later a further cheque arrived and a disclaimer so I couldn't cash both.

Alcazar