Puppy doodoos.

Chris Head

Haven't taken him to vet, we walked him for an hour last night and he was full of it, got back & he wolfed down chicken and rice and drank loads, this morning he's fine, laid into the rat dogs and chickens again, do I honestly need to go to vet tomm? Maybe it's just the stress of being with me? [6] GSD Polly. He's taken to one of my climbing ropes!

[IMG]http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/FagusSylvatica/DSCN2207.jpg[/IMG]

My goodness how cute is he!!!  Re the vet - frankly if he's still got the runs then YES he still needs to go to the vet AND be sure and take a sample of the poos with you!  He's still tiny and no matter how bright he seems...... you never know and why would you want to risk him having something untoward?  One of my youngsters used to get the trots at his age and she was on Royale Canine puppy food (she's a GSH cross) and was full of beans so we didn't worry too much - but it just never really got better... some days ok then off again.  It doesn't do them good when they're growing.  So we took her to the vet and he took samples and it turned out she had Giardia (possibly drinking contaminated/stagnant rain water) and she had to have some pretty strong antibiotics.  We also had to change her food - RC puppy was not the best thing it turned out!  Just relating what happened to us - but naturally it's up to you.

Yes, take him to the vet for a check-up. Tomorrow. Without fail.

Depending on waht the vet says, you may have to change his diet but don't do it suddenly, he's used to RC: you'd have to switch by mixing the food over a week or so. He's only a baby, remember, and v sensitive

I know that Polly and I seem to banging on about the vet etc., but experience has taught me and I am simply wanting to pass on information to avoid your puppy falling foul of what happened to us.  Our poor lass had a troubled tummy for 18months because of the Giardia and she never grew properly either!  Some years ago when I was rearing an Irish Wolfhound from a puppy and who later lived a strong and happy life till he was 10 (very good life span for a Wolfhound)  I was given very sound advice by the breeder and vet on how you feed them in the first two years.  Big dogs need careful attention when they are growing and what you eventually make of them all starts there.  Your puppy is building a big frame and is naturally ebullient because he's a baby but that doesn't mean he's tip top....... his poos are telling you that something is wrong.  I hope you sort it out happily.

Post edited  by mod to keep it within the code of conduct

[quote user="Merlin"]I know that Polly and I seem to banging on about the vet etc., but experience has taught me and I am simply wanting to pass on information to avoid your puppy falling foul of what happened to us.  Our poor lass had a troubled tummy for 18months because of the Giardia and she never grew properly either!  Some years ago when I was rearing an Irish Wolfhound from a puppy and who later lived a strong and happy life till he was 10 (very good life span for a Wolfhound)  I was given very sound advice by the breeder and vet on how you feed them in the first two years.  Big dogs need careful attention when they are growing and what you eventually make of them all starts there.  I am sorry to tell you that Royal Canine is actually a very second rate dog food............ I won't bore you with the details, but it is.  Your puppy is building a big frame and is naturally ebullient because he's a baby but that doesn't mean he's tip top....... his poos are telling you that something is wrong.  I hope you sort it out happily.

[/quote]

I have to disagree with you as regards Royal Canine: true, it doesn't suit all dogs (no one brand/type of food does), but I have reared 10 guide dogs pups on that brand successfully, and most of the school's dogs are fed RC throughout their lives.

You should also be v careful putting such strong negative opinions about a product in writing in public, you leave yourself open to litigation.

No Wooly you got it wrong, harangue are those delicious little sweet things that come in pretty colours with different fillings, best consumed while drinking coffee in Med bar whilst people watching!

I've taken the advice of folk who know alot better than me (I wouldn't have asked the question otherwise) taken him to the vet and he's got treatment for worms and a special diet for five days. Vet was superb, she took half an hour doing her job and checked him over thoroughly.

Thanks for all the advice.

[quote user="Chris Head"]Haven't taken him to vet, we walked him for an hour last night and he was full of it... [/quote]

Golly, a pup that young has got some energy if you can walk him for an hour. Especially if he has diarrhea which may have some effect on his stamina anyway.

It's a long time since we had pups but I remember building up their walk length very gradually. I think you walk them 15 to 20 minutes max as longer walks can stress - even permanently damage - very young joints and bones. Play with them lots and they get exercise and stimulation that way but someone more knowlegeable than me may be along in a minute to give an indication of how quickly you should build up walks for growing pups.

He's gorgeous. Enjoy. [:D]

[quote user="Polly"]No doubt the lady concerned has already got you sussed out, you men are SO slow to get sorted

[/quote]

You underestimate a North Norfolk boy with a fresh easterly behind him Polly![:P]

Already sorted Sweet!

Thanks Catalpa...15-20 minutes doesn't seem very long? He has got ALOT of energy.

[quote user="Chris Head"][quote user="Polly"]No doubt the lady concerned has already got you sussed out, you men are SO slow to get sorted

[/quote]

You underestimate a North Norfolk boy with a fresh easterly behind him Polly![:P]

[/quote]

I learnt to swim at Overstrand so watch it!

Hi Chris

Love your puppy !!

Just to let you know that when you came to cut our tree for us about 18 months ago you must have dropped your woollie hat under the branches. Where it was discovered with much delight by our dog who STILL drags it around from place to place and hides it for later collection and play !

Not sure you would want it back now though, not looking quite as good as it once was !

Hope you are well and puppy stays well.

[quote user="Chris Head"]Thanks Catalpa...15-20 minutes doesn't seem very long? He has got ALOT of energy.[/quote]

A lot of that is energy that in nature would be spent playing and fighting with siblings rather than actively walking or running. A rule of thumb is that you build up walks gradually by calculating about 5 - 10 minutes walking per month of age.

So a three-month old of a medium to large breed would be having a couple of walks per day of max 30 minutes each time and nearer 20 if it's a smaller breed. You often see sleepy puppies being carried around by owners which is kinda sweet but does indicate too much has been asked of the pup. And of course they shouldn't be in public places (where other dogs frequent) until after they've had their jabs.

Wotcha Londoneye! I wondered where that hat had gone to...boy that was one wet and cold day! Glad your pooch is enjoying it! I seem to remember you not being able to watch? Did I kill the tree? We're good thanks...himself still not able to sit still for more than five minutes?? X

It's difficult to know when is enough Catalpa, he's eating enormous amounts now and has gained a kilo and a half in less than a week, getting into all sorts of trouble and sort of becoming a disaster on four legs! Just a few minutes ago I wondered why a chicken was making such a racket...he was dragging it backwards by its tail feathers! The GS in him is very definately coming out and rapidly! I think I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to crack down but it seems a real shame! He had his first swimming lesson today. I'll give you a shout soon Polly!

Hi Chris

thx for pm - won't seem to allow me to answer though ,... will sort out when have a bit of time.

I'm good - tree looks great thanks, definitely not dead. Hope all is good with you.

Hope I don't get told off for veering away from original subject matter (!)

You sound like my OH (you met!) who seemed to think our puppy would be toilet trained after about 5 days .... as it happens only took two weeks for poo but the weeing - she just couldn't get it - surely it should be clear to us that the corner of the living room carpet was simply the only acceptable place to have a pee ! That one took slightly longer I am afraid.