House Insurance

Lindy

Hi Lindy,

I got mine through the uk finance people Hifx www.hifx.co.uk - I believe thiers covers periods over 60 days, I'll need to check. I know there has been some discussions about how good a UK base insurance company would be in france, but hey, time was of the essence.

I don't have any connection with Hifx BTW, just used them.

Cheers,

Matt

Ours is through Credit Agricole and it is recorded that the property is a Maison Secondaire they therefore expect it to be unoccupied for more than 60 days at a time.

Only downside to this is that the policy is all in French but it does cover the building and the contents.

We do have to comply with having shutters for security and a local keyholder, which we have through a very nice french neighbour.

Paula

Ours is with AXA - it is specifically for second homes - the maximum number of days  each year that we can spend in our French home is 90 days. It is a very comprehensive policy but there are  miniumum security guidelines ie shutters, locks etc. It also stipulates that the water must be drained and turned  off when unoccupied during the winter (November to March) otherwise we won't be fully covered for burst pipes. I think the cost is based on number of rooms and square meterage of the property. Our insurance also covers our attached barn. Contents are also insured. It doesn't stipulate that you need a keyholder. Not a cheap policy however the cover is good. Ours cost around 350 euros. - Policy is in French but not difficult to interpret with the help of a dictionary.

We hit the same snag and found the best deal with

www.schofields.ltd.uk

They arrange the cover with LLoyds of London, the policy is in English and if you make a claim they send an English speaking assessor.  Can't say how good the claims service is because I've never used it yet.

A quote from their brochure - "Insurers consider second homes to be high claims risk due to them being unoccupied for long periods, theft and damage by holidaymakers and the increasing risk of flooding.  Most second home insurance policies have strict conditions and exclusions such as, the property has to be checked weekly and must not be uninhabited for more than 30 days.  Our specilaist second home insurance policy does not include any complicated conditions or exclusions."

I have no connection with this company, although I have some knowledge of insurance.  Indeed before I retired I worked for Norwich Union, but when I asked them for a quote they weren't interested!