Pet Passports

trainman

You have 2 choices Ask your Vet or check out the website for Goverment Department of Argiculture.

I got one for my dog to go to Ireland. Its not a problem to get a passport but you need documentation to prove your dog has had a rabies vaccine (anti rage in french) also you need to have your dog pass a blood test for rabies. The tricky bit is you cannot travel until the blood test is more than 6 months old.

Then if he has the vaccine yearly (must be within the year) you don't need another blood test.

This rule only applies for Ireland or England you need to check out the rules for the USA.

Our vet was very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
I travelled from a non EU country to France with 2 cats in 2004 and got a lot of helpful email support from the French Ministry of Agriculture (in English), who sent me all the info and the right forms to download. Suggest you apologise up front if you can't write your enquiry in french. Btw when we flew into Paris CDG, we just walked through without any of the paperwork being checked - the blokes on duty were having un cafe (our paperwork was in order but it made us laugh). This was for cats that had travelled in the cabin on Air France though. I imagine using cargo or accompanied baggage in the hold is a bit more onerous.

There are also companies that will assist you in clearing your pet from customs if necessary - sorry no longer have the specific names.

The major thing you have to make sure about is the microchip - the ones in the US are different and you have to make sure your vet puts a European one in.  Rabies innoculation is no longer compulsory here in France (which is mistake I think) but should you be wanting to travel to other parts of Europe and the UK you WILL need one so I think it's best to get it done anyway.  French authorities are very laid back in my view about letting in dogs and cats and rarely ask to see the paperwork BUT it's best to check with your vet in the US and the links that have been given here for you.

[quote user="Merlin"]Rabies innoculation is no longer compulsory here in France (which is mistake I think) but should you be wanting to travel to other parts of Europe and the UK you WILL need one so I think it's best to get it done anyway.  French authorities are very laid back in my view about letting in dogs and cats and rarely ask to see the paperwork BUT it's best to check with your vet in the US and the links that have been given here for you.
[/quote]

Rabies inoculation has never been compulsory in France for animals who do not travel.  Rabies vaccination is compulsory for any dog, cat or ferret entering France.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F806.xhtml

Val, my GSD was originally imported from the USA although not by me. His microchip is an American one but that did not cause any problems. I was able to register it with the usual database both in France and now here in the UK. He had to have the rabies jab and also I think, a veterinary health certificate. Certainly, when we ourselves brought a dog from South Africa, we needed the rabies jab, microchip and a health cert.

[quote user="andyh4"]

Gyro

I think the question was FROM USA TO France and not From France to the British isles.

It could well be that the rules are very different to what has been described above

[/quote] Thanks for that stupid observation Andyh4 thats why I first said: "You have 2 choices Ask your Vet or check out the website for Goverment Department of Argiculture". I notice also you didn't offer any advice of your own!

• 3 weeks later...