Neutered male cat

FairyNuff

Just a bit of advice needed.

Our adopted cat has just been neutered (today - miouch!), and the vet nurse gave me a spiel about feeding a special diet to avoid him getting fat and also urinary tract problems, with a sample of their stocked food for 5 days. Having seen the price of the stuff I ask myself if it's really necessary, or just a way of extracting more money?

Thanks

FairyNuff

No I have had neutered Toms all my live ...just make sure like any cat they have a good quality food that does not contain tomuch salt .... and like any animal make sure he dosnt eat to much ...

I get this at the vets they are just trying to sell products they get comission on...

Arrrh poor lad ... now I do have to tell you that if he's a ginger tom....he will need lots of fuss and love , sloppy talking to ..freshchicken hand fed to him while he lie's in front of the fire on the dogs bed which he has stolen. To be allowed to go in and out of closed doors as many times as you can get up....and 2 thirds of the bed every night ....but if he's another colour dont worry to much about all of that he will cope !!! ;)

[quote user="Pads"]Arrrh poor lad ... now I do have to tell you that if he's a ginger tom....he will need lots of fuss and love , sloppy talking to ..freshchicken hand fed to him while he lie's in front of the fire on the dogs bed which he has stolen. To be allowed to go in and out of closed doors as many times as you can get up....and 2 thirds of the bed every night ....but if he's another colour dont worry to much about all of that he will cope !!! ;)[/quote]

How did you guess - he's a pale ginger colour!

He likes lying on his back on your lap and having his tummy stroked, while he purrs in ecstacy!

FairyNuff

• 1 month later...
When our cat was neutered I was told that if I fed him 100% croquettes then I should get the special ones to avoid bladder stones but if he got a mixed diet of tinned food as well as dried food and he had plenty of water to drink then he would be fine - and after 5 years he is.

We have always had neutered toms and some pretty big ones too! ( big cats, as opposed to fat cats ) we have never fed a special diet to them and have never had any problems with weight, kidney stones etc, my last beautiful boy died young but only because he found some antifreeze someone had left out, nothing to do with him being neutered[:(]