Reaction to Advantix ?

Iceni

Since we acquired Muttley I have been treating him with Frontline. Concerned that the little freeloaders might have become immune I switched to Advantix this time. After treatment pooch was dull, listless and generally 1 decree under for a day or so. Is Advantix to blame or was it just coincidence?

TIA

John

My two both cried and tried to scratch furiously for ages after being done with Advantix - to the extent that I now use Effipro, but it is not so good and I have to do it every three weeks instead of four.

However, they were not listless or "ill" in any noticeable way with Advantix.

Chrissie (81)

We have always used Frontline, but had none left in the UK prior to our trip one month ago.

On arrival we purchased Advantix, since then ( 4 weeks) Honey, the Lhasa Apso which owns us, has been scratching and licking herself umpteen times a day .

We are now back in the UK, and tomorrow she is due to be clipped and bathed. We were hoping that a medicated shampoo would do the trick ?

When we saw the Vet(in Figeac) for the

going home shots ,cost 40 Euros no check up, I was told that they always use Advantix because of Heart Worm problems in the Midi, she then used Frontline !! and sugested in future using Frontline and an anti-mozzie collar.

This is the first and last time we will ever use Advantix.

JohnD

You can't beat a daily search for ticks with your fingers and they love the attention and skin stimulation - you can usually feel a tick immediately unless it is still crawling around as yet not attached.  We have German Shepherds so it's pretty challenging finding ticks - but we do.  All these potions are hit and miss and for sure some have bad reactions - we had one collar, Preventix, I think it was called, that we got from the vet and it actually caused a 24 hour paralysis in two of our dogs!  It was so frightening as it came on withing twenty minutes and the vet was also appalled.  Scalibor is supposed to be the best for ticks but it doesn't get fleas (which cause tapeworm by the way).  I have stopped all chemicals and now use Diatomaceous Earth to worm and treat fleas and ticks - it's more laborious and fiddley but it works and it's organic and the parasites can never become immune - it works in the house also!

I switched to using Avantix when Frontline no longer worked, never had any bad effects. Interestingly UK fleas are not immune to Frontline it would seem, the french vet said that they used components of frontline in the fields as pesticides and that is why the fleas were no longer killed by it, perhaps he was right...

Nothing to do with Advantix but a comment regarding scalibor.

Our dog seems to be a tick magnet - wherever there is one she will find it and ensure that it attaches itself to her.

When using the combi frontline and various other combined tick/flea preps she had ticks everywhere and even though we used to check her every day, they still found her!

Now been using scalibor collar for just over a year and have not found one single tick attached to her. Can't guarantee it works for everyone, but to be honest I've been amazed by it's effectiveness. Plus my vet advised me only to use frontline every three months, as the dog never ever has fleas, and actually it works out a lot cheaper with frontline every 3 months and the collar. Again, not recommending this, just what was recommended to me.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Advantage, their Advantage Multi for dogs prevents most things except ticks and earmite but Frontline plus covers just ticks and earmite.

http://www.advantagemulti.com/compare.cfm

So what do you do if you want total protection in problem areas, use both?

I too have had problems in the past using Advantix ( is this the same product as Advantage?) but I need something for heartworm, there is Advocate but not too sure this is available in France.

Incidentally does anyone have the French for heartworm? The nearest I can come up with is ver de cœur but I suspect there is a more correct word.

Advocate is certainly available in France (our vet stocks it): I seem to remember it was suggested as an alternative to Frontline as the cat concerned needed treatment for ear mites as well as protection against fleas.  On another occasion I was given Stronghold by the same vet, which from reading the product description also attacks fleas, heartworm and intestinal worms and mites of all kinds.  We have one cat who roams further afield and he occasionally picks up tics although he is treated with Frontline Plus.  Presumably without this the problem would be a lot worse!

Val

• 3 months later...
Speaking to our UK vet today, he recommends monthly Advocate and 3 monthly Droncit for use whilst in UK, (with tick collar in the warmer months), with monthly Advantix and monthly Milbemax in France.

HOWEVER, Milbemax is incompatible with Advocate so has asked me to make sure that it is not given during the coverage period of Advocate, neither by me nor the vet during the pre- return trip appointment.

Complicated?!!