My Dog is an Escape Artist!

Fi

Despite having the whole garden fenced, my nearly 2 year old Labrador squeezes under the gate (about a 30cm gap) whenever another dog goes by, or walkers, and ocassionally in hot pursuit of a tractor.  This has to stop!  He's either going to get himself injured, or cause an accident, or terrify someone.

I can't block the gap under the gate because it is a sliding gate, and anything attached to the bottom wouldn't go through the roller.   He's a big strong boy so if I just put a big lump of wood or something in front of the gate he'd just push it out of the way. And anyway, we use the gate a lot and it would be a real pain in the neck to have to keep moving some vast obstacle.   I don't want to tie him up, because I really hate seeing dogs tied up, and anyway he'd probably throttle himself! 

My feeling is that he is bored - he does get lots of walks, but I think he's lonely.  I would like to get him a companion, but not at all sure that is the answer at the moment because he'd probably lead the new dog astray. 

Anybody have any ideas?

Any chance of fixing some king of electrified wire along the bottom of the gate?

I know this sounds a bit cruel, but one small shock might do the trick.

As you say it's a  serious situation if he chases tractors. Our first border collie was killed when chasing a car, and could have caused an accident to humans.

Or use an electrified collar and handset to train him out of it - again an extreme measure, but perhaps necessary. We have one going for free.

[quote user="Patf"]Any chance of fixing some king of electrified wire along the bottom of the gate?

I know this sounds a bit cruel, but one small shock might do the trick.

As you say it's a  serious situation if he chases tractors. Our first border collie was killed when chasing a car, and could have caused an accident to humans.

Or use an electrified collar and handset to train him out of it - again an extreme measure, but perhaps necessary. We have one going for free.

[/quote]

I can't put anything across the bottom of the gate - and it's metal so that could become interesting!  Which is a shame because he knows to keep away from electric fences.  How does the collar work?  If I seem him trying to escape, do you press a button to give him a small shock?  I was hoping he'd get too big to fit under the gate, but he can make himself very flat - just wish I was that bendy!

Is it a Labrador trait to wander, or is just Eco being Eco?

I think it would be possible to dog-proof the driveway rather than the gate with an electric barrier, with the no-go area running from the fence on either side in a slight arc away from the gate.  I've no idea of the cost or exactly how it would be done but the site here

http://www.dogfence.co.uk/products/products_outdoor_fences_groundskeeper.htm  shows that it is feasible as they actually mention dog-proofing driveways.  Good luck!

Val

Hi Fi

I can imagine that your breed of dog in very high energy indeed.

A dog like yours at his age needs to be given rigorous exercise daily.

Energy build up in a dog can cause all sorts of behavioural problems.

Is he/she neutered?

If you don't intend to breed from your dog this can help by not only prolong the life of the dog but also reduces his level of energy.

This might sound daft to some people but I bought a thread mill for my dog, he's a similar age and also high energy.

Worse still we live in an apartment and have a small baby. (Better in my apartment than death row in the SPA)

He is perfectly calm in the apartment because I exercise him for at least 1.5 hrs a day. I attach him to my bicycle and he runs along beside me. I have trained him to do this so it may not be so easy for your dog but just an idea.

If I’m travelling my wife takes him on his normal pee breaks (15min walk) then puts him on the thread mill for an hour in the evening.

Most people think that when you have a large run the dogs exercise themselves. This is a myth. It sounds also that your dog is self rewarding this is a bad habit and difficult to break. Self rewarding can be chasing another dog or finding food somewhere.

There are many things we could talk about but exercise is key.

You have a Labrador they are excellent retrievers have you tried to enrol him in a training program.

Or you could take him to a lake and train him yourself.

I know it sounds like a lot of time and energy I know but short of that have you considered getting a dog that is more suited to your own energy level.

Thanks for all the suggestions - am doing some more research.  Incidentally he hasn't bugged off once since my first post ......

Melrose, he gets plenty of exercise, not a problem for me because a long dog walk has the added bonus of tiring the children out.  He just seems to lack the pack instinct, and is a bit of a floozy where other people/dogs are concerned, hence my thought of getting him a doggy friend.  I have plenty of energy, and live in glorious countryside - perfect for dog walking.  I adopted him from an apartment-dweller who found him too demanding exercise-wise, and he hated being stuck in town.

I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him!!!!!!!!!

I think you are right, Fi, in thinking your boy will lead a new dog astray - we had exactly that problem with one of ours who would not stay at home, but he cleared the fences rather than going under! The young one used to watch him go, but once he got bigger he found he could jump too!

I don't like the idea of the electric shock idea, but I must admit I think it is probably the answer. A friend in the UK used it for their dog; it only took a few times and he had learnt.

I agree with Rob Roy you will end up with 2 problems after, solve one first is your best bet.

The problem with electric fences also is that if they make a dash and get through they may not wish to come back through the fence again.

Hmm.  I reckon you need to put in some serious training here.  I'm sure that Mrs "it's me or the dog" would have some ideas, but this is where I would start.

You'll need a friend (or preferably several) with a dog and a decent water pistol.

Get somebody to walk past the house with their dog on a lead, and a water pistol in the other hand.  When your chap attempts to go and play with the other dog, then your friend squirts him full in the face with the water and carries on past.  Then you make a great big fuss of your dog and play his favourite game with him for a while so that he thinks being with you is far more fun than playing with the other dog.  Recruit as many people as you can to do the same thing - the aim being to make staying behind the fence with you a far better alternative to chasing passing strangers and their canine friends.  Water pistols are harmless but very effective and thus far more humane than electric shocks, imho. Then you can think about getting a companion for him because, as you so rightly say, it's probably the root of his problems - he is bored and lonely. 

Also, do a lot of work on re-calls when you are training him - if it becomes second nature to him to respond immediately to your voice, he will be far easier to deal with all around.  You're his pack leader and his first instinct should always be to obey you.

The collar-type electric "fences" are tempting, especially if being run over is the alternative, but they do produce all sorts of psychological problems in some dogs.  Far better is ordinary electric which is physically visible - at least the dog has something to associate the punishment with whereas the collar ones just make a dog terrified of the collar (as you'll find out the second or third times you try to put the thing on.)

EDIT : Here's a good article which might interest you:

http://www.agilitybits.co.uk/bits/obedient/recall.html

[quote user="cooperlola"]<

The collar-type electric "fences" are tempting, especially if being run over is the alternative, but they do produce all sorts of psychological problems in some dogs.  Far better is ordinary electric which is physically visible - at least the dog has something to associate the punishment with whereas the collar ones just make a dog terrified of the collar (as you'll find out the second or third times you try to put the thing on.)

EDIT : Here's a good article which might interest you:

http://www.agilitybits.co.uk/bits/obedient/recall.html

[/quote] We use the electric collars to stop our dogs wandering onto roads. They are the passive type that works on a signal from a wire going around the perimeter. The dogs get a warning signal if they approach the wire nd a small shock if they get closer. They very quickly learn where the fence is and respect it even without their collars on. They are always happy to have their collars on in the morning so I don't they have been traumatised by it.

I am sure, Rabbie, that dogs - like humans - react differently.  However, I have friends who tried this type of fencing with their Border Terriers.  One day, the husband took one of them out in the car and forgot that he had left the collar on.  The dog wouldn't go near the car again without a great fight and b*gg*red off every time the owner approached her with the collar ever afterwards.  It's just something to be aware of - I did say "in some dogs."[:)]

Many thanks for all the suggestions - much food for thought!  I am a little wary of the electric collar solution - Eco has an amazing memory - before we got him (he was 8 months old at the time) he had his paw shut in car-boot door - he is still scared when the door is shut and tries to leap into the back-seat, squashing the assembled brats in the process!  I don't want to give him any more complexes.  And those collars are very expensive ......

We are guest-less at the moment so I can park the car at the front of the house, and the gate can be kept shut nearly all the time, so Tim has constructed a barrier to block the escape route.  It ain't pretty, and it is a bit of a pain, but so far, everything crossed, he's only got out once, and that was because the postie left it open.

Coops, I love the idea of the water pistol (the same idea worked keeping the cat out of the Christmas tree - good clean fun for all the family :) )  And for the dog training link - many of them are soooo complicated, and this one is written in language an 8 (and 47 [:$] year old) can understand.  He can do the basic stuff - sit, wait, and he does come back when he is called, apart from when totally distracted by other dogs/tractors/walkers/a rabbit 3 fields away.

He's going to be castrated next month (the vet wouldn't do it before 18 -24 months - something about his bones/ligaments need to be fully grown) - think this will be 90 euros well-spent, and hopefully will calm the daft b****r down!

Will let you know how we get on!

Thanks again for all the input.

I looked at getting one of these electric fences as our second dog had exactly the same problem as yours. I went on one of these dog forums to ask about them and got absolutely slaughtered by the people there even though I explained that with 7,500m2 of garden putting up fencing was not an option due to the expense. Whilst out walking I went past a house where somebody was installing such a device which they paid 60 Euros for on Ebay and came with two collars, which was handy as they had two dogs. I left it for a month before going back and asking them how they got on and they said it was brilliant. They put the collars on only when they go in the garden which becomes 'automatic' after a while. The things let off a 'bleep' about two metres from the 'fence' and only shocks them when they get within a metre and increases as they get even nearer. The faster they approach the fence the bigger the shock when they get there which stops 'run though'. The guy now has the 'electrocution' bit turned off as after a while the warning tone is quite sufficient to keep them inside the area.

Having 'read up' about castration it only works on a small percentage of dogs with regards to this problem so you could be lucky or you might not. The thing I found was that when I tried to ask about these fences on the dog forum people didn't seem to understand how stressful it is to have a dog that does this. We are about 100M from a main road and the thought of the dog getting maimed or worse is frightening so your always on edge when letting the dog out or have to resort to walking round the garden with the dog on an extender lead. With such a large garden as ours the dogs are 'out' most of the time, we leave a door open so they can come and go as they please which is great because they never stop playing and it helps (in my opinion) to give them a better quality of life especially as they are rescue dogs and neither had seen grass (our number two dog will still only do number twos only on concrete) before they came to us.

So electric fences do appear to work but you need to use a bit of self discipline and not get complacent with them (collar on when they go out then off when they come in or get in the car) which is why people get problems (like the getting in a car one).

Looks like the electric option is one to go for ........ what is it in French??  Then I can do a sensible search on ebay/leboncoin.  Thanks.

Going to get him castrated anyway - caught him trying to hump the poor cat earlier - exit one thoroughly outraged feline!  And as you say, there is a slender chance it will help.

HERE is one I found on Ebay France (I didn't have a really good look, it was the first one I spotted). More expensive than the one one the person I talked too paid it seems and it only has one collier. One thing I did discover when I looked at these is that many use a 'special' battery that you can't just walk in to a shop a buy. Some on the other hand use standard batteries and these are the type I would consider as the special batteries seem quite expensive. Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

I have a Labrador which used to jump the gate if a tractor/lorry or motor bike goes past. Had to take drastic measures and as I was in a rental property at the time with a sliding gate, I could not dig the perimiter fence electric system with the collar in the ground.

Reluctantly I bought a electric remote control dog collar off of e bay, and I will post you the link. What is good about this one, is it had a bleep , vibration and static mode which can all be set to different strengths 1 - 10. I only put the static on No 2 and only had to do it twice, it stopped the jumping straight away. The thing I did, was put the collar on for 24 hours before I used it and when he looked like he was going to jump or did go over the gate, I zapped him. He did not see me do it and thought it was the gate.

Now I only put it on if we go out for a walk as I dont want him to chase a motor bike and get killed, but have only had to use the bleep or vibrate, NEVER the static. I think the key, is for him to think it is the gate and not you at the first start. I now have a dog who returns to me when I call him,and is obedient and love his walks off a lead and I know he will return when called.

I do sympathise with Fi , because I ve got a lab too, and yes, he's also an escape artist. I ve got a big garden, mainly enclosed with walls, but he managed to escape through the hedge at the other hand of the garden . Had to put a long fence in front of the hedge...

And he's got a friend, ( my other dog, Jack ) ; he gets plenty of exercise , but I knew he would be that way, the vet told me on day 1..

I reckon the best options would be the electric collar, or the water pistol ! , People have suggested good options IMHO .

My dog  gets mad if someone walks past with a dog , but not if it is just a person passing by..

Now I know what I need for him , and if I change house one day, I 'll make sure the garden is enclosed by a 2 meter high gate so that I have peace of mind !!