Oh why do we have pets

PaulT

Which is not really true with us as Lace, our Dobermann, is a valued member of the family.

Last Wednesday night she seemed very down so to the vets on Thursday morning.

As she is nearly 11 and on heart tablets the vet was against x-rays and decided to start treating her shoulder with anti-inflammatories.

Back on Saturday no change so she debated the x-rays, consulted her husband (also a vet) and they decided to try steroids and go back on Monday.

Back on Monday and no discernable change - I questioned that she had only had 2 tablets but vet expected there to be an improvement.

So x-rays required but the chief suspect bone cancer. Arranged for Friday.

Last night she seemed perkier (as she did today) and we had a long discussion aided by a conversation I had with the person from the Dobermann rescue centre that we got her from. One of the things that the person talked about was starving her from 9pm and her subsequently dying under the anaesthetic to obtain the x-rays. Also that whatever decision we made we needed to be sure of as we would have to live with it.

Our conclusion was not to have the x-ray and to closely monitor her and judge when the time was right to end her life.

So this morning I had a very emotional meeting with the vet discussing that we had decided against the x-ray. The vet did say that she thought she did not have very long to live which is something that we had decided the night before.

I did ask if she would have x-rayed if it had been her dog and she replied 'no', and that she would have put it to sleep.

I therefore asked if we were being cruel and she reassured me that we were not.

She did say that she wanted to reduce the dose of steroid next week - I am now thinking that was possibly code for next week we need to take that horrible step.

Our next few visits to France are going to be terrible......

She always looks out of the car and looking in the rear view mirror I would always see her intensly looking out.

She loved to dig the garden in France - dig a hole and sit staring in to it for hours. Always taking my life in to my hands mowing the grass. Would have loved to take her for one last time but the journey would be very unfair to her and she would have wanted to dig.

Paul

It's the question all pet owners ask themselves at one time or another... and yet I bet when Lace is gone you'll one day want another.[:)]

The only thing to remember is that she is completely oblivious to what's going on.  She might feel a bit off and not be herself but animals are so lucky in that nobody tells them what's in store - all the heartache is for the owners, not the pet.

Bon courage.

Thank you both for your kinds words and yes, there will be another one.

However, Yve will probably want to get one before I do - I feel there is a need for time to grieve and pay respect to the one that has gone and would feel very guilty if I rushed out and got one straight away, indeed possibly feel resentful of the new dog and in no way would it be its fault. Lace has really got in to my heart.

Lace was a rescue dog - we got her at 4 years old. She had travelled a bit having been born in New Zealand, taken to Australia and then to the UK and the owners were then going to be commuting between UK and Australia (at least that was the story we were told).

Will admit it was satisfying having one from a rescue centre but they do come set in their ways. She would just run off and eventually come back. Twice she took the outer skin off of her pads. On one of these occassions I had come home having been out on the town with a few people just prior to our wedding. Yve had had a load of girls round. When she opened the doors for them to get their taxis Lace shot out of the door. So in the early hours of the morning and both well oiled Yve was riding around on her bike yelling 'Lace' and I was walking by the fields yelling 'Lace'. Eventually I heard a whimper and there she was, having run so much the skin had gone from her pads.

Paul

It's a dreadful time for you, but Lace doesn't know that.  She is a lucky girl, having had a marvellous life with loving owners who will make sure that her end is painless and stress-free.  And that place she has stolen in your heart will always be there, no matter how soon or how much later you find another dog steatling its way in - that's the funny thing: there's always more room in there.

Good luck in the coming days.

Chrissie (81)

PaulT, this is something so many of us including me have gone through and know how difficult it must be for you. My thoughts are with you and do hope Lace will start feeling better. She is very lucky to have you caring about her so much. Please let us know how she is doing.

She did say that she wanted to reduce the dose of steroid next week - I am now thinking that was possibly code for next week we need to take that horrible step

I know from experience that in humans steroids start off as a high dose then are gradually reduced. Is it different for animals ?

It seems you have a good, caring vet I'm sure she will guide you and be sympathetic as we all are  We are thinking of you.

Thank you all.

The vet phoned last night. When our previous Dobermann had to be put down it was something that happened very quickly and I asked the vet for him to be cremated individually. The vet told me that the cremation service they used did not offer this. In view that they may still not I went to the website of a company that I knew did (previous experiences), filled in the form and printed off the notification for the vet. I put this in with a note to the vet and the reason for her phoning. And yes they have offered individual cremations for a long time and would have done when Baron was put down. She gave profuse apologies for what the other vet, who has long since departed the practice, told us.

She then spoke about reducing the steroids and said that she needed to do this due to side effects - phew it was not what I thought. Have told her that we will take Lace to see her once a week so that if we have not noticed that she is uncomfortable - and we are determined that we will not let her suffer - then the vet can tell us that is it.

Last night she seemed perky and seemed her normal self this morning. Do we take her to France for one last time? Would the French vet sign that she is fit to travel? Do French vets offer individual cremations as I am determined that her ashes will be scattered in the garden of the place she was happiest in. Perhaps need to email the French vet and ask and also see how she does over the next few days and discuss it with our English vet.

We are very fortunate in that we have two vets who are extremely thorough. When we went to the French vet first time to complete the Pet Passport I thought he would give her a very quick once over and sign. No such thing - a detailed examination and it was he who discovered that she had a heart defect. To be fair to the English vet he sees her 5 times a year. So we do also look on the positive side. If he had not been so thorough her heart problem may not have been discovered and she could have died a couple of years ago.

Paul

We are currently in the same situation, our border collie/labrador  cross was diagnosed with a very aggressive mouth cancer just 2 weeks before our permanent move to France. Surgery which would involve removal of the top part of her snout is not an option, she is 12 years old and has other health problems and I wouldn't put her through it. We had tremendous support from our Uk vet and have been very lucky with our vet here, she is seen on a regular basis to monitor any discomfort, and we have been given painkillers if we think she needs them. Both have agreed with our decision to just let her enjoy her time. It is her first time in France and she has discovered a new lease of life! It has coincided with my husband's retirement and she is delighted to have him around all the time! Plus lovely walks on the doorstep instead of a car ride away. So enjoy your time with Lace in the knowledge she doesn't know it's going to be a little shorter than she might like, and give her lots of hugs!

[quote user="Jo"]We are currently in the same situation, our border collie/labrador  cross was diagnosed with a very aggressive mouth cancer just 2 weeks before our permanent move to France. Surgery which would involve removal of the top part of her snout is not an option, she is 12 years old and has other health problems and I wouldn't put her through it. We had tremendous support from our Uk vet and have been very lucky with our vet here, she is seen on a regular basis to monitor any discomfort, and we have been given painkillers if we think she needs them. Both have agreed with our decision to just let her enjoy her time. It is her first time in France and she has discovered a new lease of life! It has coincided with my husband's retirement and she is delighted to have him around all the time! Plus lovely walks on the doorstep instead of a car ride away. So enjoy your time with Lace in the knowledge she doesn't know it's going to be a little shorter than she might like, and give her lots of hugs!
[/quote]

Jo I can fully empathise with you. Yes, Lace absolutely loves France as well.

For you a hard time for this to happen - just as you embark on the next phase of your life one of you will only enjoy it for a short time. Still, it sounds as though she is being spoilt rotten. I will think of you as we go along our painful journey.

Perhaps elephants are the answer - they live for 100 years so will see us out.

Paul

This is always the hardest time of anyone having a pet.

I had my dog put down last October and I buried him in his favourite spot in the garden overlooking the views he used to sit down and spend hours looking at.

Hardest time, but I wouldn't have given up the ten years I had with him for anything. It was worth it and he was the best dog I will ever have.

It's hard but you will know when the time is right I think,

Just to answer one of your questions in your post (I don't think anyone answered it), yes, individual cremations are possible in France.

Our vet made all the arrangements for us when we had to have our 14 year old German Sheppard put to sleep last year. He came back with a lovely condolence letter with a certificate. He is still on the bookcase!! Mrs P hasn't had the heart to scatter him yet!.

The vet was very caring, she did the dreaded deed and left us alone with him for as long as we wanted, I don't know how they do it?? I suppose you get a bit immune to it after a while. I couldn't, not without completely embarrassing myself.

Bon courage !

Tim

PaulT -and many others in your position

I'm sure. I came across this in a previous series of postings , and must confess to being quite

moved. How true it is, and I can think of holding a couple of our dogs that have

had to ask us this with their doggy eyes. It still hurts.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And

pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I

understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day,

more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We

have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When

the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll

tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

It is a

kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain

and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who

has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these

years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Adam was our boxer bullmastiff cross and we said he

could never be replaced, there did not exist a dog that could match him. Thanks

to a local refuge we now have one, and despite our feeble protestations we have in fact got

two.

Before I again lose my veneer of hard north country

grit and stoicism and find it hard to see the keyboard clearly I hope the above helps.

My very sincere good wishes

Brian

Thank you for your sentiments and my thoughts go out to Jo at this time and for those of you for whom I have brought back sad memories.

I emailed, unbeknown to Yve, someone we know asking if they would mind removing various items if we felt it would help when we next arrive in France – sadly we do not think that it would be fair to Lace to take her that distance. Yesterday I discussed removing some items with Yve and her conclusion that there is so much at the house to remind us that removing a few items would be pointless. For a start there is the scale model of the battlefield at the Somme that Lace has sent a few years creating frantically digging to resemble bomb craters.

The weekend was good. I went to pop out at about 7am on Saturday morning and she came running up when she heard my car keys ‘I’m coming too’. She seemed fine apart from not really wanting to walk at one of the places we take her. Still, she had a ride out – always looks out of the window, even all the way down to SW France. Her appetite for Cornettos has not diminished!

And yes Pat she is a Dobermann. Will admit when I first met Yve she told me she had a Dobermann. My thoughts immediately went to me being savaged but what wonderful companions they are. Can remember when he was put down and a few months later we got Lace. I would not let her use anything that had been Barons. Now I am thinking when the time comes to get another he/she will not use anything of Laces and I suddenly realise that from an initial slight resentment and great love has grown.

Currently making enquiries about an elephant – on the basis that it will outlive us and we will not have to go through this again – but we will.

Paul

People ask me how I can puppywalk... well, giving up a healthy puppy when it moves on is immeasurably easier than seeing an old friend get ill, and older and worse. Been there, seen that, used up all the Kleenex and my heart goes out to you.

• 1 month later...

From the depths of despair a little relief although for how long we are unsure.

Lace is still with us and very perky at times - rushing up to greet people etc.

A couple of weeks ago the vet once again spoke about the only way or really knowing was an x-ray. When I asked if this is something we should strongly consider again she replied that she felt sure she could get her through the anaesthetic that would be required the big problem being to regulate her heart after and it was not an option.

Two weeks ago she mentioned 'you are going away in a couple of weeks time' to which we replied that we were going to cancel. She though thought that Lace would be OK and suggested a long journey in the UK to see how she got on. We have subsequently had two long journeys and she was fine - looking out of the window constantly.

At the appointment last night the vet gave Lace the all-clear to travel to France so we will be on the 16:20 Shuttle on Friday. That was my one big upset that she would not go to France again a place she far prefers to the UK so I am over the moon. I am also keen to hear the French vets opinion.

She has been cut down to 1/4 of a steroid tablet a day (6.25mg) and it seems to be working - on Saturday,thankfully she was on the lead, she saw a rabbit and dragged Yve across a car park in pursuit of the rabbit.

How much longer we will have her we do not know but we are making the most of this time.

My thoughts go out to Jo - how are you doing?

Paul

When I was in hospital recovering after my accident, a lot of people's visitors used to turn up with their dogs to cheer up the patients as it was right next to the chateau at Grand Luce and had a lovely big garden so was great for the dogs.  My o/h and I used to discuss the idea of his bringing ours but as it was an hour away and he didn't like the car much (he settled OK but just clearly wasn't that fond of being in it), we decided against it.  Sadly, he was diagnosed with cancer and Mr C had to have him put down so in the end I never saw him again.  I so regret not having insisted that he make the journey now as it would have been so good to spend a bit of time with him. 

Enjoy Lace's company while you can - great that she will spend time with you and you won't miss what's left of her time.

Is she coming to lunch?[:)]

Coops

That is tragic - a double whammy. But how were you to know.

Yes, she will be there. She is OK when we go out to work but at any other time she sulks and throws her bed around the room. She has done 'runners' in the past so always is on the lead at our UK house as the front garden is not fenced. However, the French house has a large fenced garden and, if we go out shopping and she does not come with us she jumps in to the back with the shopping and stays there. After a while she normally gets taken out for a ride.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

My thoughts go out to Jo - how are you doing?

Paul

[/quote]

Sitting here with fingers crossed Paul! Shauna is still with us, the growth in her mouth has stopped growing and has actually shrunk a bit so she can still eat with no trouble, the vets assure us that it just means the cancer will be growing elsewhere, but she is happy and content and LOVING France! She gets tired a bit quicker than normal, but then she is outside with my OH all day. We have had some lovely warm weather here recently and she has really enjoyed snoozing away in the sunshine! I hope Lace enjoys her trip to France, and continues to stay reasonably well, like yourselves we don't know how long we have, but she is certainly happy!