dogs sleeping on the bed

lisa

Hi, does anyone have any tips on how to get a dog to sleep in a basket rather than on the bed?  These are dogs that I have adopted from the spa , 2 of them have obviously been used to sleeping on the bed and settee as they seem to have no idea what a basket is for ( except when the little pekinois wants to irritate the big alsation and then she waits till he gets up and promptly jumps off the settee and into his basket!!). The 3rd did sleep in the basket but has now started jumping on the bed at night, , this means the bed is a little overcrowded and hubby is losing patience!! We have tried the gentle pushing on the floor and showing them their baskets but doesn't seem to be working so if anyone has any advice? The first 2 are 10 and 12, is it possible to teach them at this age?As for the the 3rd  we are not sure how old she is but she has been badly treated and you only have to raise your voice and she shakes like a leaf. I'm sure she will go back to the basket if I can get the other 2 in theirs, she often sleeps with our alsation in his basket during the day.

Firstly, the third should not be treated any differently because of its past. It will sense your sympathy which, to a dog, is weakness. To a dog no other member of the pack is equal but I bet the third dog places itself high in the order and maintains this by the learned behaviour of shaking. Let it shake, don't recognise this or alter your expectations of the dog. Never respond to the timidity with affection - ignore it and give attention only when the dog is quiet and settled

Who is top dog and who is no 2? The dogs themselves must be 3, 4 and 5! No dog is too old to ''learn''. In fact they react rather than learn. For the bed thing - you are allowing the animals equality! Why are they even in the room? A dominated dog will sleep where it's told (and can sleep on the bed) - in the pack it must find a place not occupied by the top dog.

As with all dog training matters, the key is for the dog(s) to see the human as the alpha dog. You go through doors first, you eat first, the dog gets out of your way etc. Particularly the dog mustn't take its food until you give it permission (control the feeding urge and you're nearly there). All this conditions the dog to doing what No 1 demands.

To get in the basket you need to firmly tell the dog ''basket'' and then move it there but without further expression. You've said ''basket'' - end of. If the dog resist then you must dominate it - not rough but firm and brooking no objection.

Age, breed and temperament are really not relevant to simple pack leader issues.

Look at the way a shepherd leads his dogs. Work them hard, keep them alert, affection only when job done. Same principles with a house-dog.

And the dogs will be happier knowing their place!

I inherited my Dad's dog who was used to sleeping in a bed at the bottom of his bed and sometimes on his bed I think (or was she just trying that on in a new home?  Possible - I remember having an alsation who tried getting on the sofa in every new place and slinked off at a slight sign.....just needing to be told). 

I am allergic to dogs and even though she is the hypoallergenic type with a single coat (wire haired Parson's Russell Terrier) and she was happy sleeping in the same room as me in a dog bed rather than actually on our bed, eventually I became irritated and she just had to move to the kitchen.  I felt guilty about this as she had become attached to me, associating me with my Dad and his house and sticking to me above everyone else in my family once I brought her home - but it just had to be done.  She barked a few times but eventually settled and now its a routine.  When we go to bed she goes to the kitchen.  After hubby gets up before me and lets her out in the garden for a wee; she comes up and lies in her 'place' (no dog bed there now but she lies where it was) for a little while until I get up.  She's happy, I occasionally feel guilty but it works. 

Though I agree with the principles of what has been said, easier said than done ...

My dogs sleep on the floor, on their blanket, but in my bedroom. I tried to leave them outside the room, but they kept scratching on the door. I resisted, it didn't work, ...so I gave up.

Not good I know but hey..... 

I have rescued a lot of dogs.  I find that the ones who have come from happy homes have the most difficulty in settling into your home.  It takes a while for them to get accustomed to the new rules.

I find that the only thing to do is to keep telling them off firmly about it.  They eventually learn but will revert to old behaviour if they are frightened (during a storm, for example).

The problem with an animal (or child) creeping onto the bed in the middle of the night is that you are often too tired to do anything about it.  I have never had a dog do it but I have had children do it and after a couple of hours, I come to my senses and sleepily take them back to their own beds.

Are the baskets big enough for them?  They are older dogs and will get cramp or pins & needles?  They may not like the noise of the baskets?  What about getting very large bean bags or duvet bags for them?  When I had four dogs (at the same time), I would always use a selection of duvet bags so that they could stretch out.  Some would share (mainly the younger ones).  The older ones would prefer to be on their own.  Just a thought.

Lisa, you have a difficult problem to solve.

One suggestion I have is to put the dogs bed down by the side of the bed where you can reach it. Get them into it and a reassuring stroke can sometimes settle them down.

Works with one dog but three, I'm not sure.

Worth a try.

Lisa, try Bugsy's suggestion of the dog's bed by your bed, then move it gradually away once the dogs are used to it. I often have to do this with new puppies from guide dog school for the first week or so.

When we dogsat for friends whose dogs are allowed on beds and settees it was a nightmare, our year-old youngster picked up the idea straight away and it took a fortnight of loud NOs to get him back to normal when we got home. Our older dog just looked bemused as if thinking 'dogs don't go up there, ever, it gets shouty if you try it'.

Thanks for all the replies, cybelle ( the nervous one) has got straight back in to the basket. I think she was just trying to copy the other 2 and was even trying the settee out at one point. Not sure what will happen tonight to get her off the bed, hopefully as easy! For the other 2 I think I've got my work cut out, they have a lot of bad habits ( which were probably ok in their old home) and I'm trying to be as firm as possible with them. Will be going to get another bed or cover for rusty( the spaniel cross) as at 10 he has no idea what the basket is for and I think it might be a bit small for him. As for the praline (12 years old pekinese) we have had to be very firm with her as she begs for food and at first would steal food off the plate if we didn't watch her. she did try to attack the cats but soon got put back in her place ( by the cats!!) .  rusty and praline belonged too an old lady who passed away last year,( she had had them since they were puppies) they ended up at the spa. They have obviously been well looked after.Hope fully I'll beable to get them into baskets or on covers. I have made a lot of progress with them and we go for walks off the lead now which is a lot nicer for them, they used to watch my alsation and bichon running around but I had to be sure they wouldn't run off first and that they would come back when called. Cybelle use to chase the cats but we have finally got her out of it and the cats come back in the house now. I will definately try bugsys suggestion as I think this may be the best way.

I have made comfortable beds for my dogs in 'real' dog baskets, bean bags, large cartons, you name it, I've tried it but the only bed my two (briard and Tibetan spaniel) like is a heap of plastic and old bed sheets and bits of carpet.  I should mention that they sleep in the garage, not in my bedroom[Www]

Good luck Lisa.  It is a hard time, getting them accustomed to your ways but, speaking from experience, you do get there.  You are MARVELLOUS to take on three rescued dogs - a heart of gold.  It's great that they have the company of each other.

We actually went to adopt one oldie but the little pekinese looked into my daughters eyes and that was it, we had to take her and her lifelong companion there and then! We had already picked another dog who had wonky legs (due to being broken and not mending properly according to the spa) , the week before so we ended up with 3 plus my  alsation ( my other daughters really but he lives with me now)and bichon. Luckily they all get on although the alsation is scared to death of the pekinese, we had to calm her down as she was attacking his legs and the poor alsation is so gentle he didn't know what to do. I can already see the difference as they are slowly adjusting to our ways, just got to get the bed thing sorted.

yes  sometimes think we are mad,we have a very big bedroom and a kingsize bed, did actually think of putting a sofa in the bedroom just for them, at least it might get them off the bed!! We also have an old cat who has his little space on the bed and won't give it up for any of the dogs. They are all terrified to go near him when gets on there but still doesn't get them off completely.

We have no Grandchildren so to us our 2 westies are our grand kids.They like nothing better than going upstairs to sleep on our king size bed when we go upstairs during the day.

They have their own bed downstairs of course.As I am writing this,one dog is trying to kick my wife off of her chair.

Are we sad do you think?

our new Westie is a Molly too, leaving both the Westies at home in April and just taking Rosie my older dog (she will enjoy the rest!) can't wait until August when they will all come, they will just love the big garden and long country walks with no roads to worry about