guinea pig

lisa

Hi, just need a bit of advice here. My daughter has finally moved and the people who rented the flat before had asked to leave some stuff in the garage and they would come back today to pick it up. While putting some of her stuff in the garage this evening she realised that they had left a guinea pig there in a filthy cage.They now say they cannot come until tuesday. She has fed it and changed the water and I'll go and get the necessary to clean its cage tomorrow, I know absolutely nothing about guinea pigs ( what environnement they need etc?) and although I do not really want to leave it in the garage we both have cats and I'm afraid they might try and kill it if we take it in. I've fed it some carrots , is straw ok as bedding?  I also have hay if it can eat that.If they do not turn up on tuesday do the spa rehome these animals? I don't want the spa to think that it is us who are abandonning it. Hope somebody can help, feeling quite sorry for the poor thing and would take it in if I was sure it would survive the cats.

Lisa I know nothing about guinea pigs, but I would suggest you do all you can to prevent that poor little thing from going back to those original owners.  They obviously do not give a hoot about it, leaving it alone and unfed and unwatered, without even mentioning it to you.  Why not leave the cage empty, with the door ajar and say "What guinea pig?".............

Chrissie (81)

Yes I was thinking the same thing, can't understand why they left it, it's not as if it has a big cage. I think they are hoping that it dies before they come back. My daughter rang them and they say that it will just have to manage until they can come and pick it up ( they moved to near arcachon from perpignan), they left on thursday!! My daughter moved yesterday but only found it this evening. I'm thinking of going to the spa tomorrow to ask and if they are willing to take it to rehome it then my daughter will tell them that she found it dead in the cage. Just hoping that it will be ok in the garage until then. If the spa can't take it I'll buy another cage and shove it in a bedroom until I can find somebody who wants it, couldn't take it tonight because the cage it is in absolutely wreaks so I can't put it in the bedroom.

If its in the garage I would leave it there, in my limited experience a house will be a bit warmer than its used to and once it is used to that temperature it should not go back outside until it is much, much warmer.

Ours survived many a winter outside in a hutch (and sometimes out of it, if they escaped, although they were always recaptured)

Something about diet here : http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guineapigs/a/gpsfeeding.htm

They are easy to keep and in my view make better pets than rabbits for example.  Good idea to keep it away from the cats.

It was in their appartment while they lived there, my daughter turned up with it last night as it did not look too good, cleaned the cage and put newspaper in, put a bit of salad and carrots for the night. Kept it in the spare bedroom and this morning it seems to have perked up a bit. Am going to see if I can rehome it today .

Hmmm - as I said we have kept Guinea pigs outside, but they were always outside. Perhaps the change in temperature was the problem if it was moved from the apartment to the garage by the previous owner, bringing it inside again 'perked it up'.

If you rehome it I would try to find someone who can keep it inside for several more weeks until the weather is much warmer.

Bon Chance [:)]

well the spa took the guinea pig, I explained to them what had happened. My daughter told the owner of the flat that it had died and that she had buried it with the cage,she rang the people who had moved out who promptly rang my daughter telling her that she would have to pay them back for the cage!! ( I had to leave the cage at the spa, I don't think they have many guinea pigs) they can always hope. The people in the flat below them told my daughter that these people had chucked the dog out the day before they moved and then called the fourriere to pick it up so that probably ended up at the spa also.

So glad you fobbed off those people.  Let's hope the SPA can rehome the poor guinea pig.  And fingers crossed for the dog - what AWFUL people they must be.  Why isn't there a register of people who do this sort of thing so they cannot repeat it ad nauseam?  I suppose there are the same sort of people in the UK and elsewhere, but it makes my blood boil.  I hope you are going to tell them to sue you for the cost of the cage....... 

Chrissie (81)