Dog tag wording

Pommier

[quote user="Pommier"]I'm about to order a couple of identity tags and thought I'd put our surname and phone number plus 'I am chipped'. Would that translate to 'Je suis pucé'?

Don't want to get them engraved wrong![/quote]

I trust you are getting the tag in UK the price in France was 5 times more.

Isn't saying the dog is chipped a bit like the sign at the ford that says "If the water is above this sign do not drive though".

If the tag has dog's name, telelphone number and address the chip will not be needed unless the dog is lost and has also lost the tag.

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]No coops - but 'Dog' did suggest it on the post before mine..... Simon :-)[/quote]So he did.  My profuse appologies. 

On the subject of tagging chipped dogs, I don't think it's a bad idea as it might well encourage somebody who finds the dog to seek an owner or take the animal to a vet' - especially since the traditional method of id here is tatooing which is immediately obvious, unlike the chip. 

I was thinking that if it's apparant that the dog is chipped, it's a deterrent against him being stolen.

As regards the dog's name, that's still in dispute; could be George, Gringo, Gabe ..........or else something else!

My lad has his chip and his name and phone number on his collar, we call it his bling but I use it as a secondary ID because if he did get lost, a member of the public does not have the machine to read a chip yet a phone number would be an immediate contact.

My dog does not go out without us,he is not an off the lead breed being a primitive race and since gippos tried to break into the car and steal him last June at the local Géant carpark,we never take him shopping anymore when he used to like to wait in the car (obviously not in hot weather). The gendarmes had three complaints that week from the public about these men trying to steal their dogs out of cars and if you shake a modern vehicle from side to side, it releases the central locking too!

Our dogs have our names and address on their engraved tags - not their names. They are all chipped but we prefer to have something that's visible just in case. The telephone number on the tag states that it is the number for our Vet and we would prefer that to someone phoning us in an emergency and not being able to get hold of us. As we've just adopted another dog,a runner!!!! we're suddenly very aware that a tag with details might prove invaluable.

Wow Val_2 - I'd love to see anyone go near our car with our German Shepherd and Lab in it! They wouldn't last long!

Simon

Apparently the breed of dog made no difference from what the gendarmes said when my son made the plainte (incidentally he punched one ofthem on the nose after the others ran off and this one came at him, as he is not a small built person and very strong) They steal any dog to either sell privately or to laboratories and when you see the teeth on our dog, you wouldn't go near him either but unfortunately he loves everyone he comes into contact with apart from small children. It was the gendarmes who told us about the central locking thing which is how the pompiers are able to get into cars to help victims in crashes or move vehicles when they are near a hydrant etc.

My ex-neighbours slightly wayward pooch was returned 3 times when the finders called the phone number on his collar and we have found 5 dogs since living here and 3 were returned very simply via calling the number on their collars.

The other two (very sweet) chasse dogs that we found had no collars, and no tatoos. We took them to the vet, which was luckily open) and as it happens much to the astonishment of both us and the vet, they were chipped.

Now had the vet not been open we would of course have kept them safe etc, but it would have been frankly a complete pain, because we have a cat and also our own dog who is less than fond of other dogs.

My advice would be therefore to definitely have at least your phone number on a tag - of course they should also have a tag saying they are chipped but I am willing to bet that given the option most people just pick up the phone and dial the number rather than running around trying to find somewhere to read the chip.

I paid €5 in LeClerc cordonnerie to have one done with just a name one side and phone number on other and in stainless steel as living by the sea, he goes in the salty water a fair bit and it would soon rust if not that metal.Its 3.5years old and still in good condition, so not that expensive really.

Val_2, your gipsy experience gives me great cause for concern. Losing your dog is bad enough but not knowing what actually happened to him…….

We occasionally have gippos around here, observe them for a few minutes and they are normally on the lookout for what they can nick.

Why are they tolerated? I expect some do-gooders say they are harmless, yes perhaps 1%

Interesting bit about the central locking, must try mine.

Yes, it shook us to the core because upto that time we always took him with us on every outing and felt he was safe locked in the vehicle. As I said, the gendarmes confirmed we were the third complaint about these thieves that week and it was only tuesday lunchtime. Perhaps because he is not a common breed attracted them to him but they must have been going round and looking in every vehicle because he normally lays down on the rear seat. The thing about rocking cars is true too, it is a safety thing to help get people out of locked vehicles easier but it needs three or four people to really rock the car so that the central locking disconnects and that is what these men were doing and....my son said there were loads of people just watching and not doing a dam thing to help him when he confronted them. We don't take him anywhere in the car now where he would be left and my son only went to the cash machine inside the building, all of five mins.

How lucky Val that your son came back out.  People just don't realise how much this goes on.  Never leave your dog in a car nor in the garden when you go out.  They are disappearing from gardens even with the people in the house!

In March a Cavalier King Charles disappeared from a service station in Niort.  The owners put ads with the dog's name and photo everywhere and in those little free papers distributed in letter boxes each week.  Two or three weeks later a woman was walking past one of their camps twenty kms from Niort and recognised the little dog in there.  She called him and he came to her, so she returned him to his owners.  They were very lucky to get him back.

http://rescue.forumactif.com/t318664-dep-79-perdu-ou-vole-a-niort-eliot-cavalier-king-charles?highlight=Cavalier+King+Charles